Free weights – advice needed

Options
I’m lucky enough to have a weights bench in my garage which I bought years ago which has hardly been used. I have a barbell and two dumbbells and enough interchangeable weights to increase resistance when needed.

In the past I have used this kit randomly, just doing what came into my head. But I have never worked out a proper programme or how many sets and reps I should be doing.

Here’s how I thought I might start getting back into it:

Barbell exercises:

- Bench Press, Barbell (chest)
- Upright Row (shoulders)
- Biceps Curl
- Triceps Extension
- Squat (legs)

Dumbbell exercises:

- Flat Dumbbell Press (Bench – chest)
- Shoulder Press (palms in)
- Standing One-Arm Dumbbell Curl (biceps)
- Dumbbell Row, One-Arm, Bent-Over (back)
- Wrist Curl (forearms)

At the moment I was just going to limit my routine to these 10 techniques so I can focus on getting the motion right by looking on YouTube, etc.

I would welcome any advice on alternative free weight exercises I might want to consider instead if this doesn’t seem like a very well-rounded plan. Also any advice on sets and reps, starting weights, etc.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me. :happy:
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your plan is set up nicely. As far as reps and sets go..... my personal trainer always says " less reps more weights" . I would go w/ 8-10 reps and 3 sets for each. You should use a weight that you really struggle with on the last rep of each set you do. Rest 20-30 seconds between each one.

I would consider adding some dumbell flys, tricep kick backs (one and two arm standing or sitting), tricep extensions (laying on your bench, hands starting behind head), bench dips...... you can use your barbell or free weights for the tricep extensions also. I'm sure you already know all this, but it's what comes to mind. Here is the link to the website I use to find new exercises when I get bored or need to change things up. http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you.
    If you need extra encouragement or friends feel free to add me to your MFP family! :-)

Nicole
    6720589.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This looks like a whole body routine. This will work fine for a beginner.

Some exercises you might like:
    Lateral raises (Side deltoids)
    Stiff legged deadlifts (Hamstrings)
    Incline Barbell press (Upper chestt
    Dumbell flyes (chest)
  • FiGogs
    Options
    hello,

Free weights are one of the best ways to get fit as they challenge you a lot more than machines.

Concentrate on exercises that use a few large muscle groups such as squats and lunges, and then do the smaller groups (biceps etc) last.

Looks like you have a good routine planned. Make sure you do lots of back exercises to counteract bench press and maintain good posture.
    In terms of reps you should spend the first six weeks building up endurance. This means 2-3 sets of 15-20 reps performed slowly with 10 secs rest in between. You should lift the right amount of weight so that you can complete high re[etitions but are really struggling by the end of the set.

Once you have built up endurance you can either carry on with low-weight-high reps (changing the routine regularly to vary things, or if you want to start building muscle mass you can start lifting heavier weight for lower amoutn of repitions with longer rest in between.

Good Luck!

Fi
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Have you got an iPhone? I have three excellent apps that would give you a thorough and well rounded workout, from beginner to expert levels.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you lift safe as well. Don't overload that barbell and start squats!

Without a cage it's going to be difficult to lift heavy safely... Take it easy and build up using good form first and foremost.

remember, consistency of training over time is far more important than how much you can lift at the start...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The exercises look good :)
    5x5 I've heard alot of good stuff about (doing 5 sets of 5 reps) starting on a weight that's easy to do, and moving up every week by 2.5kg (as long as you manage 5x5) I couldn't do this as I plataued very easily but I know several who've have had good progress with it - it's usually just done with bench, squats and deadlifts + alot do it for shoulder press too.
    I do my own program where I lift a weight I can lift for 4-5 reps, each set usually goes down a rep, sometimes stays the same for 2 sets. 5 sets total. When I get to 8 reps I move up by 2.5kg. I just do bench, squat, deadlifting and shoulder press regularly, but do other things on random days like incline/decline press, bicep curls, tricep extensions + dumbell rows.
    I think when you start out its just trying out a few things and working out what works best for you :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    in between those sets do a cardio burst of jumping jacks, mountain climbers, jump rope, etc. . . should be a great workout
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    arms - curls, triceps extensions
    shoulders - front raises, upright row, lateral raises
    chest - flat press, fly
    back- bent over row
    abs- crunches
    upper legs and glutes- lunges, squats, something for hamstrings (i use a leg curl machine for this)
    lower legs - calf raises

i use dumbbells for all the above except the leg curls and crunches

i have problems with tendonitis so i do higher reps with lower weight; 3 sets of 20 upper body, 3 sets of 12 legs, 4 sets of crunches, 3 days a week

that's my routine- i'm not a body builder but i have pretty good muscle tone for an old guy
  • dazlite
    Options
    Have you got an iPhone? I have three excellent apps that would give you a thorough and well rounded workout, from beginner to expert levels.

Yep, I have a iPhone. Recommend away!

Everyone else - I will look over this thread later and try and take all the advice on board to make the ultimate plan for tonight. Thanks so much for all your support :glasses:
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Agree with Crux, you need a cage if you plan on getting serious with your weights. I'd love one myself but I don't have the room, I guess its time to go back to a gym :(

Clean and jerk, snatch, squat, deadlift, push-press, bench-press, and power-clean are all basic building blocks with the barbell. Skull crushers, tricep kickbacks, bicep curls, preacher curls, hammer curls, shoulder fly variants, Arnold presses, military presses, rows all with the dumbbells are cool as well.

Body weight exercises like push ups (many many variants of these), pull/chin ups, plyo (particularly one legged), crunch variations all have their place and are very useful to build strength in the early stages.

Don't forget to work the core during this period as well as it is fundamental to staying injury free. Practice the form with empty bars at least once through the routine to make sure you have the correct technique, as the weight gets higher the chance of injury will increase.

I would break it down into three workouts each working complementary muscle groups, total body stuff doesn't give as good results and is mostly if you don't have time for multiple weights workouts. I work Shoulder and Arms, Chest and Back, Back and Biceps at the moment, I would suggest swapping Back and Biceps for Back and Legs, I'm currently happy with my legs so I don't work them directly for my current 90 cycle and rely on Plyo for that at the moment.

Speaking of cycles you should break down what you want to do into 60 or 90 day cycles and review every 30 days or so to make sure you are progressing. I'm a fan of changing my routine every 30 days within that cycle. I also pick a starting weight I can only do 6 reps with then try to add a rep or two each week till I get to 12 then I increase the weight and start again.

What are your goals with lifting weights? If you just want big muscles then stick with isolation moves, if you want functional strength then look at compound moves like lunge presses.
  • pittisit37
    Options
    Free weights are a great way for getting in shape-weight training helps to burn calories and is a great supplement to diet and cardio. There are some great websites on line that have fitness regimens that can tailor your workout routine to your skill level and your equipment. Men's Health website and various fitness magazines also are great places to look at for workout routines and ideas. High reps (12-15) low weights are good for stamina and endurance, High weight and low reps (6-8) are good for mass and strength building. Some people alternate doing both at various times throughout the week. If I can remember the website that i liked I will send it to you-it was nice cause you could print out workouts and they had videos showing you how to do the exercises properly. Good Luck!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you are trying to achieve. For weight loss and general toning, I don't think you can beat low weight with lots of reps at different speeds. (Like body pump if you've tried it, if not you could consider going along to one class at your gym to get an idea?). For building up, there would be a completely different approach.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    throw in some deadlifts and military presses, and you are good to go!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    More leg work. And dead lifts. Careful with the wrist curls.
  • dazlite
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys. I don't intend to start off heavy, at this stage I am more interested in getting my technique right. I'll mostly be concentrating on cardio for my weight-loss. I just wanted to do some weights to help tone at the same time.

@memphismyluv - Good idea about doing some cardio first. Jumping jacks are fun

@Tankplanker & @Crux - I have no room for a cage in my garage guys :-)

@LilMissFoodie - yeah this is all about weight loss and toning for me at the moment. Not about building serious muscle

I'll post later with my final plan for tonight if any of you guys want to sanity check it :smile:
  • koosdel
    Options
    arms - curls, triceps extensions
    shoulders - front raises, upright row, lateral raises
    chest - flat press, fly
    back- bent over row
    abs- crunches
    upper legs and glutes- lunges, squats, something for hamstrings (i use a leg curl machine for this)
    lower legs - calf raises

i use dumbbells for all the above except the leg curls and crunches

i have problems with tendonitis so i do higher reps with lower weight; 3 sets of 20 upper body, 3 sets of 12 legs, 4 sets of crunches, 3 days a week

that's my routine- i'm not a body builder but i have pretty good muscle tone for an old guy

Straight leg dead lifts, if you have no access to a leg curl machine.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Fairly good routine going on there. Lift heavy with low reps. Increase resistance minimally every week or 2. A good book to read is New Rules of Lifting, its an easy read and very informative. About $10 from Amazon.
  • dazlite
    Options
    Alrighty, I've spent a bit more time researching various exercises using the 'Gym Training by Weightplan' app. Here's what I think I am going to do for the next month to at least get myself started with free weights:

Warm-up:

- Jog around the block 3-5 mins
    - 20 jumping jacks

Free weights:

2 sets of 10 reps each

Barbell:

- Squat (legs and glutes)
    - Barbell Military Press (shoulders)
    - Deadlift, Straight Leg (legs and glutes)
    - Biceps Curl

Dumbbells:

- Seated Biceps Curl (aka concentration curl)
    - Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell
    - Kickbacks, Bent, 1-Arm, Dumbbell (triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Fly (chest)
    - Flat Dumbbell Press (chest)

Other:

Leg curl (Using attachment on my bench)
    Sit ups

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Before I get cracking with this tonight, please let me know if you think I should approach any of these exercises in a different order. i.e. squats first

Wish me luck! :glasses:
  • koosdel
    Options
    Alrighty, I've spent a bit more time researching various exercises using the 'Gym Training by Weightplan' app. Here's what I think I am going to do for the next month to at least get myself started with free weights:

Warm-up:

- Jog around the block 3-5 mins
    - 20 jumping jacks

Free weights:

2 sets of 10 reps each

Barbell:

- Squat (legs and glutes)
    - Barbell Military Press (shoulders)
    - Deadlift, Straight Leg (legs and glutes)
    - Biceps Curl

Dumbbells:

- Seated Biceps Curl (aka concentration curl)
    - Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell
    - Kickbacks, Bent, 1-Arm, Dumbbell (triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Fly (chest)
    - Flat Dumbbell Press (chest)

Other:

Leg curl (Using attachment on my bench)
    Sit ups

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Before I get cracking with this tonight, please let me know if you think I should approach any of these exercises in a different order. i.e. squats first

Wish me luck! :glasses:

Much better, but... a little excessive on the bicep curls in my opinion.

I know this isn't the best arm around, but I haven't done a single curl in years.