Skinny fat solution?

Hello everyone it’s Matteo here.

I’m skinny fat and I don’t know wether to stay on a calorie deficit or surplas.

It’s been 2 months I’ve been going to the gym and I lost around 4.5 kg.

Now I’m 163cm x 59.95 kg.

Today I’m still not convinced if I need to continue with the calorie deficit or going on a surplus. I decided to start with a deficit in order to lose fat mass and then from December starting a bulk phase. What do you advice? Thanks!

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,737 Member
    Once you start bulking, your fat percent will go up. So, whatever body fat you want to get to, I suggest getting there before you bulk. Bulking can increase muscle gain, but it also almost always makes you considerably fatter. Which is why you get stuck in cycles of bulk, cut, bulk, cut, bulk, cut Neverending until you either stop trying to gain muscle or die.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    What are you doing for gym workout? Also to put on muscle, you will add fat. It's inevitable. But you need a progressive overload program with a decent surplus to build any significant amount of muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    You are probably at a fine weight in terms of overall health, particularly if you get regular exercise and have good overall life habits.

No one should advise you about training without knowing your overall goals. I have always trained for some sport or activity (otherwise, I've lost interest). So: what are you training for? How does it fit into the rest of your life?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited November 2023
    I would just eat right around maintenance and get on a solid lifting program and be consistent and patient with it. This is called re-comp...in my day we just called it "getting in shape". I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that at this point you likely do not have the requisite knowledge to do bulking and cutting cycles. That vast majority of the population IMO, does not need to subject themselves to bulking and cutting cycles to develop the aesthetics that they're looking for.

Also, I don't know what your BF% is, but people who typically run bulk and cut cycles start a bulk at pretty low BF%...like 10% to maybe 12% at the most because when you bulk to build muscle you are also going to put on fat and the lower the starting point BF% wise, the longer one can run the bulk cycle before having to cut.