Type 2 Diabetes (T2D)

Options
I recently was diagnosed with T2D. I was pre diabetic for 10 years and did not take it seriously. Now I am. I've reduced my daily carbs to 113, with 131 protein and 58 fat. I asked my nutritionist about Keto Green16. She suggested I follow it 2 days per week, but stay away from the trans fats. Thoughts? Comments?
Tagged:

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,140 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of it and don't do keto, so I don't know how it fits into keto. I looked it up. The ingredients I was familiar with are generally good vitamins. A few I wasn't familiar with, but have no reason to suspect they're bad. I don't know which ones you need. Can you ask your doctor?
    I fully support whatever is healthy and gives you a jump-start on your journey to better health. If thus is it for you, Go for it!
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I recently was diagnosed with T2D. I was pre diabetic for 10 years and did not take it seriously. Now I am. I've reduced my daily carbs to 113, with 131 protein and 58 fat. I asked my nutritionist about Keto Green16. She suggested I follow it 2 days per week, but stay away from the trans fats. Thoughts? Comments?

For some diabetics, modified Keto helps with blood sugar spikes. Keto has more than one version. Modified Keto has a slightly higher carb allowance so many people find it easier to live with long term. It also has fewer of unpleasant side effects (constipation for one).

I will admit some people eat badly on Keto --nothing but bacon, fat, cheese. But you can do a healthier keto with keto-friendly veggies, use healthy fats, and eat things like bacon in moderation.

Stanford U and several other universities have recently published studies showing that KETO (done correctly) or the Mediterranean diet both help control diabetes (not cure, manage).

If you do KETO, I suggest you discuss with your doctor the best version for you--Original, Modified, Combined, Other.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2022/070/keto-mediterranean-diet-diabetes.html

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/is-the-ketogenic-diet-safe-for-people-with-diabetes/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6566854/

I don't do KETO personally, but I do have 2 diabetic friends who use a modified version with success (under their doctor's supervision). A third friend found it too difficult.

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's basically a money making internet strategy using the popularity of keto diet and apparently is focused on alkaline foods and diet plans to fit your requirements and selling moisturizers, lip renewals, etc. They cater to women and it appears mostly focusing on those menopause years, so to a little older crowd. They have a drink that they describe as A delicious, powerful, restorative superfood drink mix that promises and is Physician-created, clinically tested, Increases stamina, energy & Improves metabolism & digestion mood disorders & hot flashes and is a Menopause supplement and is only 70.00 for 7 ounces and they have a moisturizer that's 50.00 for 1.6 ounces. I found the site entertaining in it's blatant attempt to exploit the vulnerability of older females. They also have a cream for the vagina called jalva that promises to Intensify passion & sensation, while reigniting desire, Use daily for improved skin elasticity & tightness and is 70.00 for 1 oz. Reminds me of the charlatans pulling their wagons into a new town in the west in the 1870's. Snake oil salesman. I know I sound jaded but I've just seen too many of these marketing scenario's. Here's the site and I have to admit, pretty slick. All this does is make the keto diet look bad.

This is what she said specifically about keto.

Is eating keto actually healthy?
    If you like the quick results of a ketogenic diet but find it hard to believe that a steady diet of bacon, cheese, and pork rinds is truly good for your health, I’ve got something to tell you. You’re right. Unless you have a specific medical need for it, a traditional keto diet can have devastating health consequences—especially for women over 40.

It's kind of telling when you believe that the keto diet is bacon and pork rinds, it really exposes the ignorance, especially a Doctor that's using the ketogenic diet in her marketing, mind boggling.

https://drannacabeca.com/blogs/keto-alkaline-diet/keto-green-what-to-expect

Some legitimate doctors and studies show that a modified keto diet can help some diabetics control their blood sugar.

See the Standford University study for one.

Many who tout the diet are charlatans, but if done correctly and with a doctor's care---it does help some. Not everyone who does that diet eats only bacon, cheese, and fried food.

Just the other side of the coin.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    It's basically a money making internet strategy using the popularity of keto diet and apparently is focused on alkaline foods and diet plans to fit your requirements and selling moisturizers, lip renewals, etc. They cater to women and it appears mostly focusing on those menopause years, so to a little older crowd. They have a drink that they describe as A delicious, powerful, restorative superfood drink mix that promises and is Physician-created, clinically tested, Increases stamina, energy & Improves metabolism & digestion mood disorders & hot flashes and is a Menopause supplement and is only 70.00 for 7 ounces and they have a moisturizer that's 50.00 for 1.6 ounces. I found the site entertaining in it's blatant attempt to exploit the vulnerability of older females. They also have a cream for the vagina called jalva that promises to Intensify passion & sensation, while reigniting desire, Use daily for improved skin elasticity & tightness and is 70.00 for 1 oz. Reminds me of the charlatans pulling their wagons into a new town in the west in the 1870's. Snake oil salesman. I know I sound jaded but I've just seen too many of these marketing scenario's. Here's the site and I have to admit, pretty slick. All this does is make the keto diet look bad.

If you like the quick results of a ketogenic diet but find it hard to believe that a steady diet of bacon, cheese, and pork rinds is truly good for your health, I’ve got something to tell you. You’re right. Unless you have a specific medical need for it, a traditional keto diet can have devastating health consequences—especially for women over 40.

It's kind of telling when you believe that the keto diet is bacon and pork rinds, it really exposes the ignorance, especially a Doctor that's using the ketogenic diet in her marketing, mind boggling.

Some legitimate doctors and studies show that a modified keto diet can help some diabetics control their blood sugar.

Many who tout the diet are charlatans, but if done correctly and with a doctor's care---it does help some. Not everyone who does that diet eats only bacon, cheese, and fried food.

I'm on and have been on a ketogenic diet for over a decade, so your singing to the choir. I do a 1:1 keto strategy which basically allows 1 gram of protein for every gram of fat and then some carbs. This will generally represent a diet in and around 30% protein and 70% fat.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »

I'm on and have been on a ketogenic diet for over a decade, so your singing to the choir. I do a 1:1 keto strategy which basically allows 1 gram of protein for every gram of fat and then some carbs. This will generally represent a diet in and around 30% protein and 70% fat.

And 0% carbs? I think that would constitute carnivore rather than keto, as it wouldn't allow for any vegetables even. But I suppose I'm just arguing semantics.
  • HungryCatapillar23
    Options
    I’ve been there before and tried keto too , it did work but not as a 2 day a week thing. It’s all or nothing if you want to put type 2 into remission.

Currently the uk nhs recommends exante shakes and soups for 12 weeks x 4 shakes a day only 800cals to put diabetes into remission under medical supervision to strip back the fat around your organs .. then healthy balanced diet after and daily exercise of course such as walking 5000 -6000 steps a day or swimming if you can’t do more intense exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

As someone who used to work for a company that sold supplements, I share your opinion of the site. I also looked at the critical reviews of her book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/059315794X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_sr?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=critical&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

Several complained about the lack of nutritional info/macros in the recipes. I downloaded the free ebook of recipes, and sure enough, no macro info there either. Of course, people logging their food in MFP will see the macros. And then there are these comments:
    The book stipulates no more than 40g of carbs per day, but her own meal plan exceeds this allotment. When you calculate the macros, the first day amounts to 50g of carbs, as opposed to the 40g she advises.
    This book is basically all about the author and flogging her green drinks! Mediocre recipes and extremely disappointing just like the creams I also wasted my money on and made the situation much worse.
  • BodyTemple23
    BodyTemple23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    During COVID-19, owing to lack of physical activity, my HBA1C spiked to 5.7 and my doctor said, "Consider yourself pre-diabetic." She meant that a bit sarcastically so I will take it seriously, but bless her soul for saying that; I didn't picture myself being diabetic, and so I took steps to bring it back under control—latest reading 5.2.

Here are the foods I added to my diet:
    - Methi leaves
    - Karela/bitter gourd
    - Raddish

Some of these are available in Indian stores. I follow Ayurveda, Indian medicine, which is 5000 years old. I wanted a natural, holistic way to cure diabetes from the root.

Of course, as advised, please consult your doctor.

I stopped sugar in all forms. I reduced my intake of sugary fruits as well for a bit. Added exercise and logged food on MFP for several months. I've lost about 11 pounds in all. I still have another 20 to go.
  • Corina1143
    Options
    @BodyTemple23 i'm specifically interested in where you got bitter gourd and how you prepare it.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    @Corina1143 It's available at Indian grocery stores, but I have also seen Asian grocery stores or in Farmer's markets, although it's a different variety.

There are several ways to make it. Mine is a much simpler recipe.

Here's what I do:

Wash the vegetables. Chop 2-3 bitter gourds into smaller pieces and knead them with a bit of salt. Leave it to marinate for 20-30 minutes. It will release water.

Some people find the taste too bitter and throw away the water, but it's the water that's medicinal. So I keep it.

Take some 1 tablespoon oil (any healthy oil like sesame, olive, or coconut)
    Add i teaspoon of cumin seeds
    Add bitter gourd along with the water it'd release
    Stir fry on low to medium flame for a bit, cover it with a lid, stirring occasionally, until you can see it turns soft.
    You can add half a cup onion with stir fry (optional) - it makes bitter gourd more palatable
    Add 2-3 tablespoons of lentil spice powder once the vegetable is fully cooked (see below)
    Takes about 20-25 minutes. You can add a bit more oil if desired, but I try to keep it healthy.
    Add salt to taste only if it's less because you added some when you marinated

How to make lentil spice powder:
    1 cup chana dal (It's a lentil similar to chickpea)
    1-2 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1-2 teaspoons sesame seeds
    2-4 dry chilies - depends on your tolerance of spice level)

All these are available at Indian grocery stores.

Dry roast chana dal until you can smell the aroma of lentils and then add the other spices. Roast for a couple of minutes.
    Grind these into powder, making the powder slightly coarse to taste.

I hope this helps. :)

• Corina1143
    Options
    Thanks! @BodyTemple23 . I've only had it once. Tasted it raw. I kinda liked the bitter taste. Cooked it 2 ways. Hated it both ways. Neither was similar to yours. If I find more, I'll try your way. I love both cumin and onions, so that part sounds good. Not so sure about the spice blend.
  • BodyTemple23
    Options
    @Corina1143 Adding a spice blend is optional. Also, You can keep just 1-2 chilies to keep the spice level down.

I forgot to mention that if you add the spice blend, you will make extra with the ratios I provided. I usually store the powder in an air-tight container and add some when needed. It goes with vegetables like okra, too.