Sweet potato is a good source of Vitamin A, yet none is listed in My Fitness Pal

Options
Sweet potato is a good source of Vitamin A, yet none is listed in My Fitness Pal

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    There’s lots if sweet potato. Maybe a glitch. Or a typo from you?
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I found a listing for sweet potato steamed 100g that lists 238% daily value vitamin A. Another listing says -. The food entries are user generated so search thru the listings to find a better match for your logging needs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)

However, for "Sweet potato, cooked, baked in skin, flesh, without salt" definitely an ADMIN-created entry, the vitamin A info is missing >.<

c1sxerz9nxle.png