Pizza Hut

Options
prettytoxic
prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
I frequently see people freaking out because they're going to Pizza Hut, so they're going to be going over their daily calories and seeing as I work there I just want to raise my hand and stick up for them. Even more so as I'm the one in the kitchen making the damn food.

For anyone in the UK [not sure about anywhere else], you'll be pleased to know that starting next week Pizza Hut have 3 new sexy pizzas that are all under 500 calories each for the whole pizza, they're really yummy too [it's part of the job that the staff try anything new that comes onto the menu] ALSO the menus will now have all of the calories on the menu so you don't have to be freaking out over it so much.

There are plenty of fairly healthy options in Pizza Hut, the pastas being one of these options because they are fairly large and VERY filling, I personally have never managed more than about three quarters of one. There are also ways in which you can cheat a little bit. The Italian bases have less calories [obviously] but you can also ask for half the cheese and/or only a small amount of the sauce. The sauce has quite a bit of salt in it so that's gonna help you out. All of the pastas [except the Salmon one] come topped with cheese... ask for it without the cheese. Go for something with plenty of veg on it, DON'T buy a Margarita because it has DOUBLE the amount of cheese, it may be the cheapest but it sure as hell ain't the lowest calorie pizza.

One final thing is that every hut is required to have a Dietary Booklet... this has the calories for EVERYTHING in it and if you want to see, just ASK. We're not gonna kick you out because you want to know what's in your food.

Finally, Pizza Hut isn’t the kind of place you go to every day so it’s not even that bad…

Sorry for the essay but I love working for Pizza Hut and it saddens me a bit that so many people think it's so calorific.

Replies

• foodie_bekka
    Options
    Thanks so much for this info. My boyfriend loves Pizza Hut so this is so useful to me. Thanks again :-)
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post, i will admit i have been avoiding the place because of this, might have to check out the new menu when it lands.
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This sounds fantastic! Way to go Pizza Hut :) Definitely moving in the right direction with unlimited salad bar too!
  • Mandakat17
    Options
    Do you know if they are going to have these in the US?? Thanks!
  • cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love pizza hut & usually go for the salad par and a pizza, but just eat about a third of the pizza then take the rest home for the next day. Good to hear they are doing some new lower cal pizzas though, looking forward to trying them!
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    MY GOD!!! What are these pizzas that are under 500 cals!!! please have some meat on them....

I LOVE PIZZA HUT!!! Its my monthly treat :)

EDIT: Just realised you said the menu's will have the cals on... YAY!!! I love this went to a harvester the other day and they do this too. So much easier and reassuring!!! :) x
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    500 calorie pizzas.... best news ever :D
  • moon_light10
    Options
    cool, thanx for posting this, my family keep trying to make me go there, might let them take me next time they ask
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with pizza from time to time. 3 slices of Papa John's medium The Works pizza are only 690 calories. I had 3 slices of leftover pizza for lunch and for 3 more for dinner yesterday and still came in under my calorie goal.

I would not make a habit of it because it is probably not the healthiest food for you but you can definitely do worse. And you can eat it without busting your calories.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh thanks for posting this. I have been to pizza hut only a handful of times but its really nice that you have taken the time to let people know this and that you love working there! :) It makes me want to definately go there now!
  • mlbroad1
    Options
    this sounds great and will look forward to seeing the new items:flowerforyou:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I hope they do make some improvements. I used to work at Pizza Hut too and there certainly was nothing healthy about any of it. I was the morning prep guy and it was my job to essentially cover all the dough with enough added oil and grease to make it taste the way it does. That tasty crust glistens because it's been covered with grease from an industrial spray can.

I get that you love it there and I'm not knocking you for that. I'm sure things are different in the UK. I even still enjoy eating there occaisonally but not when I'm trying to be healthy.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for posting this! I think this a great reminder for all of us that no place or food ever needs to be avoided, you can always find a way to put together a healthy (or at least non-unhealthy) option if you just do a little pre-planning :)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I just steer clear from anything Italian or Pizza related--way too many carbs for me. But it is nice to hear that there may be a pizza under 500 calories for those who don't count carbs that can be wonderful news.
  • prettytoxic
    Options
    MY GOD!!! What are these pizzas that are under 500 cals!!! please have some meat on them....

There's 3 new ones.
    Virtuous Veg - Spinach, Mixed Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatos
    Shrimply Delicious - Spinach, Mixed Peppers and King Prawns [my personal favourite]
    And another thatI've forgotten the name of but it's got - Double Chicken, Onions and Mushrooms
  • moon_light10
    Options
    Might have to try the chicken one, as I cant eat peppers
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling the healthy [pizzas aren't coming to the US yet, but I noticed another pizza place is getting "artisan" pizzas which seem similar, so I am sure others will follow suit.

Anyone else ready for the US to have calories posted on the menus? I loved my work trip to Jersey, made me think twice about a cinnabon! :)
  • prettytoxic
    Options
    Might have to try the chicken one, as I cant eat peppers

You can have any of them without peppers ;D
    I'm sure if you asked nicely you'd be able to make a substitution if you wanted.
  • hannydee
    Options

There's 3 new ones.
    Virtuous Veg - Spinach, Mixed Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatos
    Shrimply Delicious - Spinach, Mixed Peppers and King Prawns [my personal favourite]
    And another thatI've forgotten the name of but it's got - Double Chicken, Onions and Mushrooms

These all sound really good... as long as they still involve some degree of cheese!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't get the excitement about "a pizza" having "500 calories".

Any pizza can have 500 calories. It just depends on the size of the pizza.

Two slices of Papa John's medium The Works pizza is only 460 calories.