How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Just curious.

I officially weighed myself at the beginning of this week when I started and I’m hoping to go a full month before writing it down again and saying I lost this much so far because I know I get obsessive at times over the scale but there’s times I’m terrible and will jump on the scale like every day knowing I won’t see anything other than natural fluctuations but I can’t help myself.

How about you all 😊

Replies

• wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 78 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Daily. At first I was a little worried about daily weigh ins , but I never allowed myself to weigh more than once every morning. I was concerned that if I did it monthly I would think I was on track but then at the end of the month realize I was not logging or choosing foods correctly and had no weight loss with a month passed. Also weekly our weight has too much variation so may think you are up or down a pound or two and it really be a normal fluctuation. Try daily I got used to it being a normal part of am routine
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Daily. Weight tracker. After I write it down, I couldn't tell you how much I weighed today. I totally forget it. Review weight tracker to see trend every couple of weeks or so.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    When I was in weight-loss mode? Daily.

I needed to see that number every day. It didn't really affect how I ate, but I needed it in the front of my mind that I was going to step on the scale daily, regardless. That's actually how I got past being emotionally triggered by weight.

However, when I still had 30 pounds to lose, my scale broke. I didn't buy another one for a few months. That was also a learning period. I stepped on the scale at the gym occasionally but I wasn't attached to the "daily" part. So, both ways worked for me.

Do what works for you. I don't even know which is better. I don't weigh myself very often any more, I can tell by my clothing when it's time to cut back a little.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily to keep my head in the game. Both recording my food intake and my weight keeps me aware of my goal.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    👋, another daily weigher here 😉… I like to collect the data. I also use a weight trending app to filter out the highs and lows. I used to be terrified of the scale. Exposure therapy has helped a lot over the years, I now see it as just another tool to measure progress towards my longterm goals. It no longer messes with my head, I don’t feel like a failure when I gain a pound instead of lose a pound because I can see with the data that’s natural for my body to fluctuate.
  • Humanhorn1337
    Humanhorn1337 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It’s always nice to see that I’m not the only one that weighs daily 😊
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Weekly. I'm not concerned about noise or having less data than daily. Trust in your process. Time and consistency bring results.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. My weight fluctuates a lot. I track the data on a spreadsheet and use some math to look at the trends rather than the daily numbers because neither weight loss nor weight maintenance is linear. Keep an eye on the long term trend; ignore the daily number.

As a personal example from some time in the past, my scale showed a 4.8 pound loss over two days... followed by a 3.2 pound gain in one day. Over a few weeks though, if you look at the trend, it's a lot flatter than that. There's some good apps and websites that can help filter out the noise. I use WeightGrapher and TrendWeight.

For a deeper explanation of how it works, check out The Hackers Diet - especially the pages on Signal & Noise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    I'm another data geek with no particular emotional reaction to daily weight, so I weigh daily and put it into Libra (weight trending app for Android). If I'm traveling (no scale), I skip those days.

I weighed myself daily for many years before even trying to lose weight, and put a dot on graph paper (date on x axis, weight on y axis) - before weight trending apps even existed. That was a bonus when I finally committed to losing weight: I was very familiar with random daily fluctuations. I expected them, so they didn't bother me at all.

I have data in Libra going back to 2015, though I just put in a weekly number from April 2015 when I started weight loss until I got the app in August 2015. (I still have the graph paper charts. :D ).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,754 Member
    Options
    Weekly.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly for tracking weight loss. I do take out the scale sometimes during the week out of curiosity but only log it once a week, Friday mornings :)
  • Humanhorn1337
    Humanhorn1337 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    R_Bedard wrote: »
    I weigh in weekly for tracking weight loss. I do take out the scale sometimes during the week out of curiosity but only log it once a week, Friday mornings :)

That’s similar to what I do. I’m always just curious
  • TraceyD73
    TraceyD73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My weight loss is very slow. I weight every day then average the 7 day total. As long as my average is going down I know I’m on track
  • sarahanya
    sarahanya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Daily. I have a Wifi scale and it automatically records in my app and calculates average weight over the period of a week, month, etc. Depending upon where you are in the journey, weighing daily isn't always a great idea. I have a pair of pants I try on periodically, that's a much better measure. Especially if you are working out. Your body can shift a lot; your clothes can fit better and you may have gained a pound or two.
  • erfroeba
    erfroeba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. It is leftover from my time with noom. At first, I let it hurt my feelings but now it is just information. I have learned so much about my body by noticing what happened the day before a drop or a raise in weight. If you decide to weigh daily, be curious not judgemental. Now if it is a little up, I think too much salt not enough water and adjust.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,554 Member
    Options
    Daily. After I wake up an have my morning evacuation, lol. (Well, consistently at least 5 days a week)
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started using the Libra app (at the recommendation of other MFP posters) I weigh every day. I look forward to it since I can see the trending down line, even if I feel like my weight loss has stalled.