In need of some advice.

Options
I work nights and I am constantly craving food, because well, there's nothing better to do. For example, right now I'm starving and could eat anything! Does anyone have any advice on how to curb these cravings? Or at least something healthy I can snack on?

Replies

• Truliesaphfire
    Options
    I work nights and I am constantly craving food, because well, there's nothing better to do. For example, right now I'm starving and could eat anything! Does anyone have any advice on how to curb these cravings? Or at least something healthy I can snack on?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am eatins some cabbage right now for the same reason,,,,,I have learned to love it....celery is also a good thing....chew it until it is a gooey paste,,,takes time and is sort of fun too!:smile:
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    I work nights as well. What I have gotten in the habit of doing is scheduling my meals around my schedule. It's hard in the begining because I have to cook for my kids but it does get easier. Also, try to keep healthy snacks in your draw or fridge at work. I keep yogurt, cheese, fiber one bars, etc and don't forget to drink water. It's what get's me through the night.

Hope this helps
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    I am eatins some cabbage right now for the same reason,,,,,I have learned to love it....celery is also a good thing....chew it until it is a gooey paste,,,takes time and is sort of fun too!:smile:

Good one, I never would have thought about the celery. Thanks, I will try that. :flowerforyou:
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Celery can also be stripped string by string. Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, melon are also good if it's a boredom eating thing. If it's physical hunger, try drinking some water- hunger and thirst can often be confused. Before work, try getting some complex carbs and some protein in as they're slow burning foods which won't give you the high-then-crash of sugary foods or processed carbs.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    How much sleep are you getting on a regular basis? I know from my experience that working nights often leads to less sleep on average than working days. If you aren't getting enough sleep (as in 7+ hours every day) your body is probably releasing hunger hormones in an attempt to get you to compensate for a lack of energy. These hormones will make you feel hungry no matter how much or often you eat...

If you're getting plenty of sleep, then boredom is probably the cause of the cravings. Stock up on raw fruits and veggies to take to work to "graze" on. Crunchy things like carrots and celery and apples take some time to munch on, are packed with fiber and can help keep your mouth busy. Bring along an ounce of nuts or cheese to balance out the snacks so you're also getting a little fat and protein. Herbal teas can help curb cravings that are not due to actual hunger. Also, try some gum!

If you have a job where there's a lot of downtime, do some brain boosting activities, like a word search or crossword, or bring along a magazine for your breaks. If you keep your brain busy, it will be easier to redirect your boredom-induced cravings to something that doesn't involve eating. (of course, I have no idea what your job entails, so this may not even be a viable option)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    well my question is are your really hungry? or is it boredom snacking?
    If its just snackin just to snack then chew gum-

If your hungry in between your normal meals try planning your meals a little better as far as your meals being enough to hold you over so you are Hungry.
  • Truliesaphfire
    Options
    I work at a hospital at the front desk of one of our floors. I have a ton of downtime, working at night. As far as sleep is concerned, i only get about 4 hours of sleep on the nights i do work, but luckily it's only 3 nights. I think the biggest reason I am hungry right now is because I have not had dinner. But I do get the boredom cravings, a lot.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    hmmm... I would definitely look closer at your sleep patterns. Even though it's only 3 nights, that's significant enough to have a huge impact.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/29/sleep.health/index.html

In the article at this link, studies showed a significant impact after only 2 days of sleep deprivation (4 hours per night)

If there's any way to schedule in naps or increase your sleep, you really should do it. It doesn't just impact your hunger, but your general mood and overall health. Sleep is so much more important than most of us realize...
  • indianagranny
    Options
    Some very good suggestions here - thank you as I work four nights a week, too. I eat more little meals and save my fruits and veggies to snack on at work. I am an order selector at an Autozne Distrribution Center so am constantly busy but at my lunch I first walk for 20 minutes then I eat whatever I brought in to eat. I also try to drink a lot of water. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It helped me , also.
  • Kimlane70
    Kimlane70 Posts: 117
    Options
    I've recently discovered Hoodia. I can't believe how well it curbs my appetite. I also eat foods that keep me satisfied for longer time periods. Most people might find this gross, but I have created the best breakfast for myself that seems to keep me from gettin hungry for a while. It's one omega 3 egg with about 3-4 eggwhites, scrambled......about 3/4 cup of pinto beans put over the eggs....a little picante sauce on top with half an avocado. It's kinda like a spanish breakfast. I also eat a banana about 30 minutes before breakfast. So that's what works for me. Take an apple, banana and orange with you to work. That might help too.
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Spinach is a great low-calorie filler! You can eat a huge bowl for about 20 calories! I use the spray dressing which is about 10 calories.

You also might want to try rearranging the way you allot your calories. I find that I am hungriest in the evenings, and that if I don't allot enough calories for dinner and an evening snack I end up going over.
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Almonds, walnuts, macadamian nuts are great, eat 3 or so and you get full quick and it doesn't take long to chow down! Plus it's healthy fat!