breakfast before or after morning cardio?

Options
I've read conflicting things...to eat first thing in the morning to get your "fire" started (metabolism, I'm aware) OR to do cardio first for better weight loss because if you do cardio before you eat, then you use your stored fat as energy, thus burning it off. I can see how both are debated...

SO, whats better?
(Breakfast for me is almost always yogurt with fresh fruit and granola..and always measured for calorie control). Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Both actually work. Some studies show its better to do exercise and then eating will help replenish all your nutrients. If you do eat after, I woudl suggest a combination of complex carbs, healthy fats and proteins. They will help rebuild torn muscle tissue and revitalize your body.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I do cardio I feel like I need to throw up because my stomach isn't settled. Therefore, I usually work out before a meal.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I do after, but that's mainly because I can't eat right away when I get up. :ohwell:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what works best for you. If I eat any time less than 2 hours before a cardio workout, I feel sick. If I eat nothing and work out, I feel sick. so I am an evening work out type person.

honestly i don't know if it makes a difference from a burning point of view.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's really "better", but I have to eat before I workout. Otherwise I feel very sick to my stomach and shaky. I work starting between 4:30 and 4:45 in the morning. SO I eat before I leave for the gym. But I follow my workouts with a protein shake. That usually holds me over and I eat a snack if I need to around 10:30-10:45 in the morning. I know a lot of people who don't eat before their workouts and feel fine though. So I think it may depend on what your body is set to handle.

6720589.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The majority of the research suggests that there is not a real difference between the fat burning capabilities of the workouts, whether you eat beforehand or afterwards. While it is true that if you workout on "E" you may burn more stored energy, your body will simply compensate for that later on throughout the day by slowing down its metabolism. It all measures out the same in the end.

Physiologically, you will likely find yourself able to complete your workouts easier, push yourself harder, etc, if you eat beforehand, and followup with a small snack afterwards. (I usually eat half my breakfast before my morning run, and half afterwards.)
  • KudzuSouth
    KudzuSouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do whatever is best for your routine... in other words, do what keeps you working out regularly.

I think it's best, from a fat-burning perspective, to work out first thing in the morning, prior to breakfast. This way, when your body needs energy to burn, hopefully it will go to your fat reserves.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some folks get an upset stomach if they eat first.

I feel like I'm going to pass out if I DON'T eat first.

The way I look at it, I don't think of exercising as a way to "burn fat," though. That's what my calorie deficit is for. I'm exercising to gain stamina and strength.
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    It's definitely a personal preference!

Try maybe having a piece of fruit maybe 15-30 minutes before your cardio. Giving you that little extra bit of glucose will help you get in a great workout! so your muscles won't get so fatigued, then after you can recover with a great protein/carb breakfast!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i eat a small amount of carbs about an hour or 2 before going to the gym. (bowl of cheerios, banana, maybe even left-over pasta) then i eat a protein bar directly after working-out. this has been working very well for me as i've lost weight and i've not noticed feeling faint, etc.
    so for me, it's small breakfast around 7:00 a.m.
    work-out from 9 - 10:00 a.m.
    protein bar directly after
    lunch around 11:00 a.m.

hope this helps :smile:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I do cardio I feel like I need to throw up because my stomach isn't settled. Therefore, I usually work out before a meal.
    Ditto
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I eat first before I do my morning workouts on Saturdays. Gives me the energy to push through my cardio and strength training. Afterwards I eat something with a lot of protein like a shake or bar with some fruit.
  • hsharar
    Options
    I agree that you have to do what is best for you and your body (to not get sick or to help you with your routing). I work out before breakfast but after 2 cups of coffee and working out in the evening is REALLY tough for me. I am a moring person, so the morning work out is best for me. Good luck and hang in there!!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have been doing early morning workouts after reading that if you do it before eating your body has no choice but to use your fat reserves as you haven't eaten all night and I eat my last meal before 5pm the day before.

I find I sweat more if I start earlier 5-6am and once get started I seem to find the energy to do an entire 90 min routine but if start later, I end up stopping after 30 mins and sometimes its a struggle to complete 30 mins. so do the most energetic ones early morning then later on do easier ones like passive trainer bike for 30 mins whilst watching telly or few pilates floor routines for 15-30 mins.