When to weigh in?

Options
I usually weigh myself first thing on a morning. We all know that if we jump on and off the scales like crazy, there can be a massive shift in weight over only a day! I do try not to jump on the scales too often, but I wont pretend its easy to stop myself ...!

Anyway, am I right to assume first thing on a morning is my "true" weight. My cousin tells me she considers last thing at night to be best.

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i don't weigh the minute i pop-out of bed. i have found that when i did this, i was up to two pounds heavier than a little later in the morning. i usually get up, get my boys off to school, wash my face, brush my teeth, etc. and then weigh when i've been awake about an hour. i think more importantly than when you weigh is to be consistent and always weigh at the same time of day. so if your cousin weighs at night, she should ALWAYS weigh at night.
  • marinastanton
    Options
    I don't know that this is the most scientific answer, but my husband lost 50 lbs over the past 8 months. Whenever he would weigh himself at night he was consistently about 1.6 lbs higher than when he would weigh himself the next morning. I have been trying to find the best time to weigh myself as well, because it seems like the more I sleep in, the more weight I lose, lol! (Not helpful when I am getting up at 5:15 to go to the gym though!) Good luck! I am sure you will find what works best for you!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Morning is the best time.

Have a read of this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie
    :smile:
  • ginurse_amy
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning just after urinating and I weigh completely naked. Same time every day and I feel like it's my true weight. I also went out and purchased a new set of scales that actually has a memory so it keeps track of your daily loss or gain and tells you how much you lost from the previous day which I love. Oh and I never weigh with wet hair. Hope this helps! Amy. :laugh:
  • daves160
    Options
    i don't weigh the minute i pop-out of bed. i have found that when i did this, i was up to two pounds heavier than a little later in the morning. i usually get up, get my boys off to school, wash my face, brush my teeth, etc. and then weigh when i've been awake about an hour. i think more importantly than when you weigh is to be consistent and always weigh at the same time of day. so if your cousin weighs at night, she should ALWAYS weigh at night.
    I agree. no matter what the practice, be consistant and weigh in at the same time. I think a daily weigh in is too much. Daily flux can be demoralizing. Once a week is what I like to do. It is hard to resist sometimes, but ....
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning before breakfast, the same day/time each week.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the mornings after I have been up for a bit. That is the best time for me. One my true weigh in days...I weigh in at work so I have been up for a while. The scale in the gym at work (I work on an Army base) is more technical than my one at home and takes a lot of factors into consideration...gender, height, etc. It also calculates my BMI...and it is pretty parallell with my scale at home. I also weigh in before I have eaten anything.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I work nights. I get up, put kid on bus, drink my coffee, workout while watching Dr. Phil (or something on dvr), clean house, do laundry, start dinner and then get shower for work. After I get out of shower and dry hair...THEN I weigh in! It's 3-330 in the afternoon.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found that too.. that when woke up too early I still wasn't any lighter.. recently had the runs bad and spent hour and half between loo.. when finished I was 11st 9... lightest I been for ages.. went to bed for a few hours... got up at 5am to exercise and was 12st 1 again! .. I didn't understand how as we are meant to be lighter after sleep???

I've been having a few days off calorie counting and exercising as TOTM started so bad fatigue and stomach cramps.. I'm planning to restart tomorrow when my food shop arrives as I'm trying going gluten free for a month and low carb... as I seem to be stuck again after initially losing 9lbs. :ohwell:
  • TraceyDonna
    Options
    Excellent, thanks everyone! I think I will stick to mornings. Seems about the best time for me.

I know, obviously, we're meant to get weighed "once a week" but how HARD is it to stop yourself jumping on the scale every day??? >.<