Why do we lose weight so slow

Options
My body struggles to get in fat burn mode. I have a low heart weight even though I weigh a lot. I don’t easy get into fat burning mode like others. I wish I had good tips on how to increase my calorie burn rates. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My resting heart rate is 49. I weigh 240 lbs and I am 70 lbs over weight. I have to eat less than. 1500 cal per day and excercise everyday to loose maybe 2 lbs per month.

Replies

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Krob71la wrote: »
    My body struggles to get in fat burn mode. I have a low heart weight even though I weigh a lot. I don’t easy get into fat burning mode like others. I wish I had good tips on how to increase my calorie burn rates. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My resting heart rate is 49. I weigh 240 lbs and I am 70 lbs over weight. I have to eat less than. 1500 cal per day and excercise everyday to loose maybe 2 lbs per month.

Hi,

IF all of that is accurate, then it sounds like you may have an underlying issue.
    Did you do a vitamin/mineral panel? If you have low magnesium, low B12, or low Vitamin D, it can mess with your heart rate and weight loss.

Have you had your heart checked to make sure you don't have a condition causing the bradycardia (low heart rate)?

Have you been checked for sleep apnea? If you have sleep apnea, it can impact your heart rate and metabolism.

Once you are sure you have no vit/min deficiencies, no underlying heart issues, or sleep apnea--then let's try the following.
    • Make sure you get enough B12, D3, Vitamin C, Omega 3, Magnesium. If you are deficient in these vitamins/minerals---it can really slow your weight loss.
    • HIIT workouts may help. These intense interval workouts can give the metabolism a boost.
    • Make sure you are eating enough protein.
    • Double check your portions and calories to make sure they are accurate.
    • Build muscle. Strength training builds muscle. Muscle burns more energy even when you are at rest. It may help your overall calorie burn.
    • Weird one--sit less. Try working standing up for part of the day. If that isn't possible, try taking a quick stretch and walk each hour or so. Sitting all day is hell on your metabolism.
    • Some people have luck with Oolong or Green Tea to help boost fat burning. Studies are mixed so it may or may not work.
    • Another slightly odd one--- Try eating more spicy peppers or spicy food. Along with oolong/gree tea and protein---spicy peppers, in some studies, have pumped up the metabolism.
    • If you are tolerant of caffeine, try adding caffeine such as coffee to your day to boost the heart rate.

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Ann is absolutely correct (as usual) in her comments above. We don't burn all that many calories during exercise. What exercise does for us is make us fitter. Healthier. More apt to be active throughout the day, thus burn off more energy. For me, it also reduces my hunger.

I use to weigh over 300 lbs and have a resting heart rate measured in the upper 30's bpm at both my PCP and Cardiologist's office. Doesn't matter. I also have CVD that keeps me from being able to maintain any extended high heart rate during cardio workouts. After I was able to get a handle on my Insulin Resistance by eating whole foods and limiting carbs, I lost 120 lbs. The rate of loss slowed considerably as I became slimmer and had less energy stores from body fat to draw on.

The best suggestion I can give you is to move more throughout the day as loulee suggested. Not saying exercise, but just movement to get your blood flowing. Every 15 minutes move around some. Walk around the house, go up a flight of stairs. If you are chained to a desk at your job you can still stand up and walk in place or pump you knees up and down under your desk for a minute or two. Stay diligent in weighing and logging your food. Make a game or challenge out of it. Get stress out of losing weight. You're doing what you can to be healthier and deserve to be proud of the effort even if you weight loss slows to a crawl. Good luck.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't really burn that many calories, it's more for maintaining strength and keeping the CV system healthy. The majority of calorie burn comes from your BMR and NEAT, daily movements. If fatloss is too slow then it's a calorie consumption issue. Your weekly calories will determine the rate of loss. You are most likely taking more than 1,500 calories a day on average.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Ann has pretty much covered everything I would say. If your logging is accurate, then I would expect you to lose more than 2 pounds per month. The most likely issue is that your logging is not as accurate as you think it is. It was not until I saw the difference between weighing solids (that would include ones that are ground) and using volume measures (cups, ml, etc) that I basically said everything but actual liquids are going to be weighed. Also, confirm the entry you are using from the database and avoid all the foods labeled "Homemade" or similar. You don't know what was used in them so you have not idea if what you made is even remotely similar.

The less likely issue is that you have some medical issue that is slowing your weight loss. Getting check by your doctor for that might be a good thing. The easier first step is review your logging very critically to assure yourself that the number you are getting are accurate.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? If you aren't weighing food on a food scale, you are most likely eating more calories than you think. At your weight , if you are eating 1500 calories, you should be losing at a pretty good rate.