Tips for running? (Zero to Hero)

Options
Hi! Today is day 1 of my running program. I can hardly run 1 min. But my ultimate goal is to eventually do the NYC Marathon. I already have my program training outline, and it’s 26 weeks. It’s lofty, but I know I will race one day. Any and all advice is appreciated!!! Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is this a marathon training program? I ask because even novice marathon programs that I've researched assume you can run 6 or so miles right out of the gate week 1 for your first long runs. Having that as an ultimate goal is fantastic, but I'd recommend training for shorter races and working your way through them. This will also help familiarize yourself with a race environment.

I would also recommend going to a running store and having your gait analyzed so that you're wearing the proper shoes. Having shoes that correct pronation when you are neutral or supinate or having a neutral shoe if you pronate can be pretty painful and cause injury.
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with above and would also start with training for a 5k first. Then progress to longer distances. You risk injury if you go at it way too hard for your current fitness level. Just be consistent and you will get to your goal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    What the others said. Also, if you can barely run one minute run slower. Still can’t speak a full sentence? Run even slower. At first you’ll be slow. Walkers overtake you? Doesn’t matter because super slow running is still a lit more strenuous than walking
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Hi! Today is day 1 of my running program. I can hardly run 1 min. But my ultimate goal is to eventually do the NYC Marathon. I already have my program training outline, and it’s 26 weeks. It’s lofty, but I know I will race one day. Any and all advice is appreciated!!! Thanks
    1. Good shoes. Good shoes. Good shoes.
    2. Stretch.
    3. I might start with Couch to 5K. It's a softer start. Once you conquer the 5K, you can build up to a longer race. Eventually, you'll be able to do a half-marathon. I do think you can eventually do a full marathon--but your timeline currently doesn't give you enough time to prep for a full marathon. If you rush it, you can seriously hurt yourself.

:)

Good luck! My only advice is above.
  • collinsje1
    collinsje1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    8 months ago, I couldn't run for more than 45 seconds without feeling like I was going to die. So, I started out just walking, then fast walking. I walked 5-6 miles every day. I also counted calories and watched what I ate and lost 80+ pounds. So that helped a ton too. Then about 2 months ago I joined the gym and set a goal that I wanted to run a 5K. I still walk to the gym everyday (5 days a week), I started a beginner lifting program (3 days a week) and dedicated 2 days a week to just running. And found that within a week I could run a mile no problem and within a month I could run the 5K, but now I wanted to be faster, and run a 5K in under 30 mins. I hit that goal last Friday 29:40 min. It took over 8 months of hard work and dedication to get so I could run just 3 miles.

If you're just starting to be a "runner" I would suggest that you step back and manage your expectations a bit, so you don't set yourself up for failure. Start with smaller goals and work up to that marathon.

I too have lofty goals of running a half marathon, a spartan race and a tough Mudder event. But i want to get to where I can regularly run the distances by myself first. I figure it will be the summer of 2025 before I get there. For me it's about playing the long game.