Back in the Day vs Now

Options
How come people were thinner back in the day vs nowadays? Seems like there’s too many unhealthy options to pick from now…

Replies

• itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    Options
    Because fat people were recorded less often than thin people
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,059 Member
    Options
    Actually back in the day - a heavier person was thought to be wealthy- cause they could afford enough food to indulge - where as a leaner person was thought to not have much wealth - times they are a changin
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 4,019 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Actually ❤️
  • mbinaz2019
    mbinaz2019 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm old enough to remember "back in the day." There were fat and thin people, but with the lack of the internet, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc., people weren't sharing everything about themselves. TV programs showed mostly thin, attractive people, except for characters like Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith show. She was the stereotype for older women, grandma types. The same with movies.

Also, there was more manual labor, much less processed and convenience foods, more people walked than drove because there weren't as many cars. I grew up in a large city, and walked everywhere until I had to commute to work, but even then had to walk to the bus stop or subway station.