Maintaining strength

Options
NothinSpecial65
NothinSpecial65 Posts: 84 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else struggle with maintaining strength while losing weight? I try to maintain a high protein intake, but how would losing fat equate to less strength? I'm almost 59 y.o. and still quite strong. I weigh between 222-225# and would like to be around 215.

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You nerd to do strength training to keep as much muscle as possible. When you lose weight, you will also lose muscle if you aren't lifting weights.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    a) You have less fuel in a deficit.

b) You have less mass.

c) Despite your best efforts, you probably have less muscle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    How fast are you trying to lose? If you're only trying to lose 10 pounds, losing half a pound a week (or less) would be a good plan.

I accidentally under-ate at first when losing weight, and got weak and fatigued. (I was also 59,
    had more weight to lose than you have, but was losing too fast for my then-current size.)

Once I corrected, ate more to get weight loss rate to a sensible level, I recovered and feel like I didn't lose strength through the rest of the process. (I did strength train, get good nutrition, and make it a point to prioritize protein.)
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Usually people cut carbs when dieting so they’re energy is compromised
  • kufanmary
    kufanmary Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat more protein but it’s rough at times have been doing weights with my cardio throughout my weight loss journey and I am 63
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I never noticed less strength while in a deficit. If I was also lifting weights, I noticed MORE strength. If not strength training, I do body weight exercises.

I also never have an aggressive calorie deficit or eat low carb.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hmm, I never noticed less strength while in a deficit. If I was also lifting weights, I noticed MORE strength. If not strength training, I do body weight exercises.

I also never have an aggressive calorie deficit or eat low carb.
    It depends on your training life, total weight loss, and size of deficit.

e.g. A new lifter on a progressive program should be able to keep making strength gains while losing weight. That'll be harder once the noob gains are in the past.

Also, it's not a coincidence that most top level strongmen have huge mass and aren't too concerned about their body fat levels. If they were to cut 50-100 pounds their strength would likely drop.