Silent Reflux/LPR: New diagnosis, new way of eating

Options
MizLandryEats
MizLandryEats Posts: 17 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
About a year ago, I got COVID-19 for the first time. As it started it seemed like really bad allergies, then an awful cough, but after the first 24 hours, I wouldn't feel super stuffed up, but when I laid down to go to sleep, I'd feel like I was going to choke, couldn't swallow. By day 3, I lost my taste and smell (and I thought that version had disappeared for newer variants so I was shocked). The insomnia caused by this choking feeling lasted about five more days but I recovered and it got better. But then a few months later happened again and I thought I was getting COVID again, but no. Subsided. But by July it happened again and was so bad and I was exhausted, I went to the ER. The doctor casually mentioned it could be reflux but just prescribed prilosec for 14 days. I did that. Felt better. But a month later it happened again and then the episodes got shorter and shorter in between until finally someone else said something about how it could be reflux.

So, about a month ago, I took a deep internet dive and learned about this "Silent Reflux." LIke many people, I never had any heartburn or any normal GERD symptoms. I have been struggling to lose weight, fighting a rising A1C, high bp, etc. but nothing really could connect my mind and body to healthy living. I love to eat ALL THE THINGS. Love to cook. Love wine. Love cocktails. But it got to where I was feeling so awful all the time, I had a huge epiphany that this was my issue and I needed to change. I went through so many feelings and emotions but a month into it, I feel determined.

I'm following the Acid Watchers Diet, but still am not totally heeled, mostly because I haven't had a perfect 28-day stretch where I can get all my symptoms to subside. But, the throat burn/mouth burn feeling has dulled. I'm still congested, especially when I wake up, but I'm slowly coming around to this new way of looking at food. I'm really hoping I can heal myself so that I can start putting some foods back, but any time I've "cheated", the message from my respiratory system has been loud and clear.

I really would love to hear from people like me...no other noticeable symptoms, fun-loving types who have enjoyed all the gastro things. Looking for some community around food prep ideas, but in a positive way (I find some of the groups online can be real downers, really depressing). I want to approach this as a positive wake up call to live better, eat better, be more healthy. Anyone out there?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Mine was just plain old GERD, I don’t know what makes it “silent”, but I certainly feel ya with the garden variety.

Waking up choking and gagging, throat on fire, unable to catch breath, husband terrified and unable to help, me afraid I’d die in my sleep, keeping extra panties and pants in the car, barf bags in my purse, afraid I’d shame myself in public (oh I did, and in a massively public way), frightening our daughter when we had to pull off the road so I could get sick. She thought I had something terminal that we were hiding from her.

I went through years of Prilosec and the other one, and should have bought stock in Tums and Rolaids.

My doctor told me over and over “losing weight will help”.

Well dang if she wasn’t right.

The GERD vanished with the first ten pounds lost. All those years of suffering and i could so easily have resolved it if I’d simply gotten on the stick. 😭😭😭

I’ve only had a couple of incidents since then- after I’ve severely overeaten. I’m grateful when they happen, because they remind me where I was versus where I am. I ain’t going back there. No. Nope. No way, Jose.

There is hope.

So many, many years with none at all. If I can do it, hopefully you can do it and get some relief.

• Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,634 Member
    Options
    Make a Dr appointment and get scoped. I suspect mine was largely caused by late night gorging, and could have been prevented but that makes 0 difference at this point--I waited too long to get a professional confirmation causing both Schlotsky (sp?) ring and Barrets (sp?). It's not 'just heartburn', like I told myself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Yep. Been there.

The solution is weight loss. When I got down to a healthy BMI weight, all (and I do mean ALL) of my medical problems went away. Most of them went away long before I reached my weight goal.

I would have preferred if my doctor told me that up front rather than prescribing all kinds of medications and procedures.

Lose the weight. I think you'll be amazed. :flowerforyou:
  • MizLandryEats
    Options
    Thanks for your stories. First, what makes it "silent" is I have no other gerd symptoms: no nausea, no heartburn, no lower gastro issues. It only presents as "allergies" with a horrible night time insomnia from feeling like I can't breathe, throat is closing. Second, I have great insurance and getting in to see a Gastro doc or an ENT is a royal pain so still don't have that. Only initial diagnoses from the PA at the clinic I go to. I'm super frustrated with that! Second, hell yah, I need to lose weight, but after talking about my issues, I have three aquaintances who have it and none are overweight in the least bit, so while I do think losing weight will help, it's not the miracle cure. My mother is a tiny human who has fought severe GERD for years and is about to get surgery for her hiatal hernia that is now about the size of half her stomach! So there might be a genetic component to this. That said, following an acid watchers diet is helping me lose weight and reducing symptoms. Thank you all for responding tho. So wild that this is common yet hard to diagnose and hard to get specific answers.
  • MizLandryEats
    Options
    @Sparkuvu, so very sorry yours progressed to Barrets and Schlotsky (also sp?).