25%
SafariGalNYC 1 vote
Cardio
0%

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm going with none of the above. My fitness goals are more health oriented...maintain good cardiovascular fitness because it's good for my overall cardiovascular health, and it also allows me to do other fun things like hiking or mountain biking or kayaking or other adventures without them feeling super hard. I do resistance training as I feel that it is important (at my age in particular) for maintaining muscle mass, bone density, and functional strength as I age so that I can continue doing the things I enjoy doing. I'm 49 and I already see people only maybe 10 years older than me that struggle to do just about anything physical and it's pretty sad.

I was into endurance road racing bicycles for quite a few years...I still ride recreationally, but I've been contemplating getting back into it but not to the degree that I was before...maybe three or four 25 mile races per year or something...nothing I have to dedicate most of my spare time to.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,186 Member
    Options
    I'd also say none of the above, for me. I have to admit, I find the options confusing.

I guess weight gain/loss are goals, but those are mostly about balancing food intake with overall activity IMO/IME.

In my view, cardio and strength are exercise types, loosely, not goals. I guess the related goals would be improving the cardiovascular system, or increasing strength or muscularity (not exactly the same things), but that's pretty abstract.

Part of my confusion is that I really dislike "cardio" as a category descriptor. It includes too many activities, with different characteristics. Some kinds of cardio also develop strength to a certain extent, and that strength may be focused on certain body areas. (Example: Cyclists tend to develop some of the leg muscles, but not much upper body.) Some kinds of cardio don't much do that. There are even different aspects of the cardiovascular (CV) system that different exercises emphasize.

Mostly, I'm active because I want to do active things I find so fun I'd do them even if they weren't good for me, and because I feel crummy if I skip being active for more than a brief few days. (I get moody, stiff, mildly depressive, etc.)

My fitness goals include wanting to stay strong, functional and independent as long as possible. (I'm already 67 y/o.) I also want to maintain or increase my on-water and machine rowing skill and performance, at least in age-group terms. Further, I hope for the rowing, cycling, and other CV exercise I do to keep my early stage, mostly asymptomatic COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, a lung problem) asymptomatic for as long as possible.

I was already athletically active while obese, for over a dozen years. My CV fitness was already better than average for women in my demographic, even healthy-weight women, at that time. I didn't particularly increase exercise to lose weight. I did put a higher priority on strength training during loss, to maintain as much of my existing muscle as possible while losing fat, but I'd been strength training to some extent for most of that dozen years, too.

Exercise is mostly for fun and health, IMO. It does burn a few more calories vs. not being active, which will let a person eat a bit more while losing weight at the same rate, and perhaps preserve muscle during that loss. Exercise won't inherently trigger weight gain, though it can influence what type of tissue (muscle vs. fat) is gained in a calorie surplus.
  • ltomberry
    ltomberry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My goal is to run a sub-3 hour marathon. Male/6'/160lb right now. Came close a couple times, but now at 44 it's time to take care of unfinished business and get it done. I have been at my goal weight of 150 once or twice but I am still what I would consider skinny fat. Time to buckle down and get to goal body composition, not just goal weight. I need to lose 20lb of fat and put on 10lb of muscle.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    Have a body that allows me to live my best life.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Remain healthy as I age and regain full strength and motion after a bad accident.