How to do this thing how to do maintenance

Options
I have been logging my meals, my food, exercise for so long that when I hit maintenance a few months ago I kept logging and adding calories but still, I keep losing.
Today I was 9 pounds below my low goal weight and realize that have become borderline crazy about this.
I decided to not count today. So I eyeballed everything and ate a little more. I don’t want be heavy ever again, but I don’t want to have an eating disorder and be too thin either. Trying to find a balance - not sure how to do that.
I would appreciate any tips you could give me on how to maintain my way without being fanatical about every single calorie and every single step I take.

Replies

• momlongerwalk
    momlongerwalk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm in favor of continuing to log as AnnPT says above so you can figure out what real maintenance levels are to you, but if you aren't comfortable with that and choose to go off logging, then I suggest paying close attention to servings of calorie-dense or food you don't have a good feel for. That is, if you like to have ice cream a few times a week, and you have noted that 100 gms has been a satifying serving, weigh that when dishing to keep it real. Or, if you tend to skimp on protein, weigh that to keep it up.
    If it were me, I'd add 200 calories a day for a month and see what that brought me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,275 Member
    Options
    I'm in favor of continuing to log as AnnPT says above so you can figure out what real maintenance levels are to you, but if you aren't comfortable with that and choose to go off logging, then I suggest paying close attention to servings of calorie-dense or food you don't have a good feel for. That is, if you like to have ice cream a few times a week, and you have noted that 100 gms has been a satifying serving, weigh that when dishing to keep it real. Or, if you tend to skimp on protein, weigh that to keep it up.
    If it were me, I'd add 200 calories a day for a month and see what that brought me.

If you stop logging, pay close attention to your scale. It will give you feedback on whether you need to log or not. Don't stress it if it goes up a little. Keep an eye on it, because it will for sure fluctuate. If it only goes up and never fluctuates back down over a couple weeks, get the food scale out. When you do it long enough, it just becomes routine, and it really isn't a great burden. Plus, the more you do weigh what you eat in order to log accurately, the better you stay at estimating when you're away from the scale.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I'm new to maintenance as well. Actually, not new to this because I have lost the weight 2 other times but failed to maintain. uggg!!

I mainly failed because I got complacent and didn't watch what I was consuming.

I think I have a better positive attitude this time and will stay on top of things. :)

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Since you've done so well counting calories and sticking to your plan. Simply adjust the number and continue doing what you've been doing. Put in the weight you want to maintain..and eat those calories.. just as if you are in the losing phase. Weigh yourself once a week and realize you may want to gain a few pounds.....and if yoiu creep above the number of your goal weight.. cut back.