When to buy new clothes??

Options
Ok I am having an issue with "buying new clothes" at this point in my weight loss. I have lost only 16 lbs so far and intend on loosing LOTS more, however, my clothes are loose right now. I can get by, for now, by folding down the waist on some of my dress pants, but not sure how long that will last. I don't want to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on clothes just to turn around and have to buy new ones again when I loose 20 more lbs. So my question is when do you actually buy new ones? For those of you that have already had to do this how much had you lost before going out to get new ones? Most of my shirts still fit "okay" for the most part. They are big but that is how I like wearing them so I can get by longer, I think, with my tops. Any advise?
Thanks!

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I went to the used clothing store (Salvation Army like...) and bought 3 pairs of pants for $2 each. They'll work until I get settled into my new sizes!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i also went to a thrift store and found a nice pair of jeans for 2 dollars for now and they are already getting baggy. almost 30 pounds down
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Charity shops (thrift shops, goodwill etc). To be honest, I could afford better quality clothes there than I could if I were buying new anyway. And better quality often means 'looks better', plus there are many different brands and sizes to try on so there should be something great there for you. This has helped me a lot with re-defining my body image. I still see myself in my minds eye as much bigger than I really am and dressing to my new size has been a challenge (not to show off at all, just to flatter for example not drowning myself in baggy clothes, and I've learned that my jeans need to sit higher than they did when I was very big).
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My two pair of jeans are nearly falling to the floor. If I lose another inch or two on my hips, there will be nothing holding them up. I plan to keep wearing them until that day happens. I can't even really wear a belt with them, as there is so much loose fabric around my waist. So I'm just working with gravity. Can't really put anything in my pockets tho!

I recently went to walmart and got a pair of jeans that fit. Just one pair. It was tempting to get a few pairs, but that would have been a waste of money. I know that I look sloppy in my big jeans and big t-shirts. I wear them around the house. I'll wear my big jeans to class during the week sometimes. My fitting jeans are for when I want to look better.

Salvation Army, Goodwill, or any other consignment shop would be a good place to look. Sadly, I'm very tall (6'0") and it's hard for me to find pants that are long enough in retail stores, much less in a second hand store.

Anyway, don't spend too much money on clothes while you're losing weight. It's a waste of money. But you do need something that fits.

Congrats on your loss!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I traded my "fat clothes" in at a resale shop and bought news ones there too. Everytime I go down a size I trade them in for a smaller size..works out great!!!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I go to the thrifts stores quite often and hit the clearance racks at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Ross stores.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with everyone and go with thrift shops for pants and tailored items. You could get fashionable and wear skirts with leggings/tights which are a bit more flexible for varying sizes :)
  • cassiopeia1975
    Options
    like the previous poster suggested i would go to a 2nd hand store or look on ebay and buy a few things that will do until you are nearer your goal weight.

Also as im getting smaller im donating my "larger" clothes to 2nd hand stores or selling them on ebay myself.

the last thing i want is a big pile of plus size clothes that i can grow back into!!

Im quite lucky as i have a range of sizes to shrink into again as i never threw things out as i got bigger! Once im at a size im happy with ill buy new things.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    if your dress clothes are for work, I would suggest updating them as often as you can so you still look professional. IMHO, wearing baggy/loose clothing is almost as bad as wearing too-tight/revealing clothing in the workplace. It sort of depends on how you're built and how the shirts are made but for the most part, I agree with being able to get away with slightly too big tops a lot easier than pants that are hangnig off you.

Goodwill and Salvation Army stores can be great! They even sometimes have clothes with the tags still on them. It takes some time to go through the racks and try things on but you can get great deals so it's worth it. Also check other second-hand and/or consignment shops.

For really pricey clothes, check with a local tailor to see how much it would cost to take your pants in. A friend of mine had a few pairs of pants done for $20 each. They'll even do jeans.
  • jenocelot
    Options
    For me, it was important to get rid of larger clothes as I lost. Now, this is only a matter of 22 lbs, which was3-4 sizes. But it made a big difference to my believing my new body was for real. I went to goodwill and was very picky, and found just a few items to tide me over till the full weight loss. New colors, fit, etc. helped encourage me to continue. And as I got closer i started getting actual NEW clothes from regular stores. Having gained some of the weight back (I got too thin at one point0, I buy only one of two sizes, and never a size up from that so i simply can't gain it back or will have nothing to wear!

It's important to enjoy your new look as it evolves, so go buy at least a few things that can help your transition.