I think I am just going to scream...

Options
WHY do I do this to myself??? I lost about 70 lbs before my son and felt GREAT, but had a lot more to lose. Got preggo and gained it all back! Joined MFP and lost 10, gained 8, lost 5, gained 7, lost 12, gained 7, lost.... You get the point! I keep doing it to myself! I get busy. I enjoy food. I get stressed. I eat socially. I give up. I have so many excuses and I kick myself in gear, do well for awhile and WHAM I am now only 2 lbs down from when I started in July! REALLY?!?! WHY?!? I have got to get it together for good! I have got to stop the yo-yo! I have got to get back in my clothes, be healthy, look sexy, GET IT TOGETHER!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Because you keep giving yourself the go ahead. You have to think before you reach and stick with it. Don't make excuses. You either want it or you don't. You are the only one who can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    you can do it, make some smalls goals.. add me for support
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...Hang in there :)
  • ginurse_amy
    Options
    You gotta take care of you because no one else is going to!! YOU are worth it!! Take it ONE day at a time! :wink:
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Same here. I didn't lose anything, I GAINED 10 pounds since march. Am getting my thyroïd gland checked just in case. Can't wait to get the results.
  • determiend24
    determiend24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ameyc2002, set small goals. I'm doing that now so I don't get discouraged because I do the same thing. I do good then gain, then loose, then gain.
  • Teelycart
    Options
    I have been doing the same thing and that we keep giving ourselves the go ahead is the truth.
    It's a battle and we have to start treating it like it is and start doing the tough stuff - saying No to ourselves, saying Yes for ourselves.
    Saying a prayer for you today! You can win this battle!!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i truely hope you are sucessful this time and it will help to have a good core of very supportive friends. i have been the yo yo myself many times. i think this time with this site and the great friends i have made on here i will finally conquer this demon that has been with me for many more years than i want to admit. best of luck on your journey...just trust in the strength you have in yourself and the lord and you will be victorious!
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT! Feel free to add me for support and encouragement. Day it day by day, step by step. We're here to help you!
  • myguiltypleasure
    Options
    I understand how you feel perfectly. I get so upset with myself when I think about how I gained back all the weight I lost (and then some!). But you can't beat yourself up! If you're anything like me it'll only make you feel less motivated, less happy and more likely to eat something yummy and fattening to cheer yourself up with! You will lose the weight again, even if it does take time. :) don't feel bad! Stay positive!!
  • brandynicole28
    brandynicole28 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!! I believe in you!! You can do it!!!! I am with you! Rededicating myself today actually! Three years ago i was over 300lbs. Lost 90 lbs. Got down into the 230's. Ive kept off 70lbs for 3 years but i have this issue with the last 20-30 lbs back and forth over the last 6-8 mos. Right now I have 27 lbs to get back to my lowest weight!

I KNOW we can do it! Maybe even together!! :) Add me for support if you want! We can help each other!!!

Hugs to you! :)
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Because you keep giving yourself the go ahead. You have to think before you reach and stick with it. Don't make excuses. You either want it or you don't. You are the only one who can do it. :flowerforyou:

yeah, when i fall off the wagon, i totally stopped feeling bad, feeling guilty, it is pointless. i konw what i'm doing before i eat bad, so i accpect it.

this why i keep perspective and i don't get down on myself.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I went through this for a long time, and then someone gave me what i thought was overly simplistic crap advise. BUT it has worked so maybe it can help you. I apologize if it sounds cheesy, but for me this has helped me deal with my biggest hurdle-ME.

"Each time you find yourself faced with a potentially self-destructive decision, ask your self:
    -Is this what I really need or just something I want?
    -Do I want to eat that/drink that more than I want to meet my goal?
    -Will I be happier once I ate it/drank it?

When i am out with others i have also started asking myself: "Would I choose to eat this/drink this if i were alone?"
    To get my butt outts bed to go to the gym i think: "5 am sucks, but sleeping the extra houor will not make me fel as good for the rest of the day as a work out will"

The bottom line is that you are the only person who can make yourself succeed or fail, and you are the only person who chooses what you eat and if you are going to burn it off. i do not deny myself the chocolate cake, but i do think if i really want it and suprisingly a lot of the time i dont, i eat a bite and find this is not as good as i expected it to be, and that if i am going to eat a treat it will be something i 100% enjoy.

I believe we all have days we slip and that that is ok, for this to work you have to change not only your habits, but how you think about yourself. At the end of the day you need to decide if you are worth it, becasue it is hard, and there are days you will scream and cry, but is it worth it to you to do today what can make up for yesterday?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    ilikejam33 is wise!! It seems crazy to think about talking to yourself all the time but I'm also proof that it works. You really need to figure out why you make the choices you do and how you can change that behavior. When I went on vacation with my family (who are "eat for fun" type folks) I made a promise to myself to keep tracking my food, exercising as much as I could and eating right no matter how many temptations came up. I even bought my own groceries a couple of times becuase they picked horrid things for dinner the nights we cooked in the townhouse (chicken fingers with mac & cheese, no veggies in sight!). I felt like a turd a couple times but hey, I need to look out for myself and I was hoping I could be a good influence on them as well.
    ETA: Forgot the important part of that story - I lost two pounds on that vacation!!

I kind of agree with the giving yourself the go ahead too much. My feeling on this "diet" thing is everything in moderation. It's ok to go out to eat with your friends and have a treat but you need to space these things out as much as possible, be good the rest of the time, and exercise to earn the extra calories. If you're dining out a lot because that's just how your life goes, you need to look at those meals like any other meal and make good choices. Don't feel like you can splurge just because someone else is doing the cooking.

Good luck!
  • tb1006
    Options
    i am the same way! I joined August 1st and I did GREAT for 2 weeks and I didn't lose anything and then got discouraged. I kept with it though and even though I have only lost 7lbs I am focusing on what I have lost and not so much how much I am wanting to lose. You can add me as a friend. It's hard to keep it going and stick with it. everyone falls once in awhile you just have to make sure if you get off track one day the next day you work extra hard! I know it's easier said than done. I give myself now 1 cheat day a week so I don't feel completely lost.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! The good news is I made it through the day! ;)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling! I'd love to friend you...I could use someone who's going through the same frustrations!
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have done it too!!! I've been here for 6 wks straight and haven't budged at all - so frustrating!!! I'll friend you..... sounds like we can sympathize!!!