SALSA RECIPE??

Options
I wanted to make salsa. I have seen some recipes around, does anyone have any lowcal recipes??
Thanks so much!!

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Ommgg yes and it is so so good! I even use it as dressing for taco salad, and good over chicken.

for a medium size bowl of it...

Four large tomatoes...chopp/dice three and 1/2...use the left over half and squeeze it into the bowl
    One Large red onion chopped
    One large white onion chopped
    1-2 Jalepinos depending on how spicey you want it
    Finely chopped fresh cliantra leaves

Annnd enjoy!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Most salsa is naturally low in calories because vegetables like peppers, onions and tomatoes are very light foods. I have a great recipe for black bean salsa. It's not as low-cal as tomato based salsas because of the roasted corn and black beans, but it's really high in fiber and protein. I usually eat it like a salad or with baked corn tortilla chips. You can use less oil to make the calorie total less. It makes a great lunch!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/labimposter/2176753542/in/set-72157594535836364
  • anastasiaBH
    anastasiaBH Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Tequila Spiked Salsa
    (from Cooking Light Magazine)

Ingredients
    • 2 cups chopped seeded tomato
    • 1 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    • 1/3 cup chopped peeled avocado
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 2 teaspoons tequila
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
    Combine all ingredients in a bowl, tossing gently.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just use the epicure selections salsa mix. You can use canned or fresh tomatoes. Delicious!
  • dl000062
    Options
    You might try to buy Garden Fresh salsa (Jack's Special) either in the deli or at Costco. Their product is fantastic and very fresh and very low calorie.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    do a search for Hungry Girl recipes or Ellie Krieger. They are both on Food Network and have recipes that are significantly reduced in calories
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I usually just have to add the ingredients 'to taste', because I don't really have a set measured recipe.... BUT its pretty easy and fun to cut up the veggies

diced tomatoes
    fresh cilantro chopped, probably a handfull? this varies depending on how many tomatoes you use
    red onion (or yellow if you aren't crazy about red)
    dash of sugar
    lime juice
    kosher salt (I use this because its not bitter like table salt)
    garlic, either fresh or granulated

optionally you can add jalapenos or green peppers depending on your spicyness preference. Basically just think of all the things you like about salsa and put it in.

lastly, if you want 'smooooth' it out flavor wise you can add a tablespoon of olive oil.

enjoy!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    THANKS everyone!!
  • SlwNStdy
    Options
    I like all these recipes but I would replace table or kosher salt with sea salt its better for the body... I am very much a salsa person too but my sister or dad make it and I eat it
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    1-14.5 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, or comparable amount of fresh (I like the fire roasted taste)
    1/4 cup purple onions
    1/4 cup sweet or regular onion
    1 clove peeled garlic
    1 tbsp apple cider
    1 tbsp mince cilantro
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 small can chili peppers
    Add creole seasoning and Louisiana hot sauce to taste (I'm Cajun...what do you expect?!?!)
    Juice from one lime
    Blend together, has a nice "kick" but not overly hot.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Any kind of fresh salsa is really low calorie...I usually use my food processor and throw tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice a little jalapeno and cilantro in it, salt and pepper to taste...Yumm!
  • cgavin77
    Options
    Mango Salsa

1 Mango-diced
    1/4 Red onion - diced
    1 Red pepper-diced
    1 Jalapeno-seeded/diced
    1 Lime- juice
    Cilantro
    Honey- to taste

YUMMMMM and SO low cal!