Does every ingredient matter?

Options
For example if I made my own food at home. Say it’s chorizo with black beans. However I cooked the chorizo with onions and I made a salsa with chipotle peppers and tomatoes with a pinch of salt. Do all the extra ingredients need to be logged, or can I simply log it as chorizo with black beans.

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    You don't know what chorizo with beans means for the person that created the entry. Could be one slice of chirozo with a handfull of beans, could be a whole meal that is different to yours. Log your ingredients.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I would log your own ingredients but I wouldn't log every insignificant thing calorie wise, like salt, or a 1/4 of an onion.
    Some people would argue for total accuracy but I would balance that with user easiness. 🤷
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I think I depends on your situation. I’m ok with logging estimates and watching the weigh scale. I try to be accurate, but don’t worry about the small ingredients. I’ve been doing this a long time. It has to be fairly easy for me to continue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Avoid logging other people's meals.

Use the recipe builder. (When you import recipes, verify every single ingredient. Sometimes 100% of them are wrong. I use the import feature to capture the link to the recipe, and plan to update every single ingredient.) I do include low/no calorie foods like onions/salt so when I make it again I know how much I used last time.

I might do use other people's meals twice per year when I am super busy, St. Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving, and realize it could be wildly inaccurate.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder. I log everything in my recipes except spices, water, etc. If you importing a recipe, update the ingredients to what you actually use.

I mean it's totally up to you. I've tried off and on for years to just estimate calories and it hasn't been nearly as effective as actually measuring and logging everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    drewcon773 wrote: »
    For example if I made my own food at home. Say it’s chorizo with black beans. However I cooked the chorizo with onions and I made a salsa with chipotle peppers and tomatoes with a pinch of salt. Do all the extra ingredients need to be logged, or can I simply log it as chorizo with black beans.

If you select an entry from the database "chorizo with black beans", you have to understand that's just some random users entry that they uploaded to the database...you have zero clue as to what's in it and how much. The accuracy of that entry could be hugely variable. I have used them in the past, but with the understanding that it may or may not be particularly accurate.

If you want to be as accurate as possible you would want to use the recipe builder and enter all of your own ingredients in the amounts you personally use.