Cheat Days?

Options
Ok~
I was barely getting any excersize & eating anything (mostly bad foods) for quite a while.
I quit smoking & put on a lil weight.
I have lost about 4 lbs since i started to watch a bit of what i was eating & getting a bit more mobile during the past 3 weeks.
Baby steps.

I have roughly 2 cheat days a week where i eat pretty much 'whatever' smiley-eatdrink051.gif

Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• SandraD1064
    Options
    Ok~
    I was barely getting any excersize & eating anything (mostly bad foods) for quite a while.
    I have lost about 4 lbs since i started to watch a bit of what i was eating & getting a bit more mobile during the past 3 weeks.
    Baby steps.

I have roughly 2 cheat days a week where i eat pretty much 'whatever' smiley-eatdrink051.gif

• Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have to say no I find it too easy to slip into old bad habits. If I want to have something special I either fit it into my calories or if I'm going all out on a big meal I do more exersize to cover it
  • indianagranny
    Options
    I, too, fit it into my calories if I am going to do it or do exercises to cover it. It would be so easy for me to slip back into my old ways if I didn't do it this way. I not saying I won't have a bad day but I don't plan on it.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I can't do it. I'm an ex-smoker too from 7 yrs ago, and it's kind of like that. 1 slip and I'm afraid I'd be shooting myself in the foot. So I forgive myself if I were to do an oopsy, but I'm TRYING to make it a lifestyle change.:drinker:
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Wow 2 cheat days?The whole day? I dont do that becuase it would set me back way too much.

Approx every 7-9 days I have a meal ( usually go out to eat or order in ) where I just plan on not thinking about it. But I end up logging it and making better choices anyways most times. I can go overboard if I want to but sometimes I just don't feel like it. Sometimes I do feel like it but since its only one meal I don't do too much damage especially because I eat light the rest of the day. I don't just mindlessly eat either. I put my fork down in between each bite and fully chew. I usually take 1/2 home anyway or give it to someone else at the table.

I do go out to eat more then that sometimes and I just look up the cals before I go.

I also have treats within my calories so I never feel deprived. I just had 4 small choco chip cookies and 1/2 cup milk for a before bed snack and I'm still under cals for the day :) You can do it too.

:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I've been having "cheat" days, but I am thinking I need to omit them or make them a once a month and only one meal type things. It seems to be a big reason for my stalls in weight loss.

Amazing job though!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    If on your two cheat days per week you're really not monitoring your intake at all, you could really be sabotaging your diet... and thus your weight loss efforts. I think you'll find most of us on here don't have "cheat days" per se.

What I do, is plan accordingly if I know I'm going out. I'll work out harder or cut calories in the earlier part of my day if I know I'm going to have a high cal dinner. If I want dessert, I'll make sure I save enough calories during the day (usually by working out) so that I can eat what I want while still staying within my calorie limits.

Some days I do go over my calorie allotment. Usually by 100-300 calories, which is still a deficit. While that may slow my progress, it won't be as bad for me as consuming 3000 calories in a day because I decided to have a breakfast burrito from Sonic and a huge plate of Mac N Cheese for dinner... If you go over by too many calories, then it pretty much wipes out the deficit from the rest of the week.

Instead of having "cheat days" where you just eat whatever, allow yourself instead just one "cheat meal." Earn it by working out... and then log it so you can see for real what the impact will be. You'll be surprised. You can eat basically whatever you want, as long as you're staying within or very close to your calorie goals AND you're getting proper nutrition. So once in a while if you want Mac N Cheese, eat a smaller lunch and make sure you measure your portion so you don't go overboard (that's just an example - I have no idea if Mac N Cheese is one of your vices)
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    All the time. And you can't be hard on yourself. Don't tell yourself that you will start tomorrow...start as soon as you think of it, if you can. You have to have the cheat days from time to time. I had one today. Don't beat youself up over it. It's okay...as long as it doesn't progress into day after day...

Best wishes to you!

Kathy

41101.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days, about once every two or three weeks when I go home to see my boyfriend. We'll go out to eat or just splurge on some sweets at the store the first night I'm home. I know a lot of people here don't recommend that, but I find that I can't stick to a diet if I can't cheat once in a while. Cheating a little keeps me on the wagon over the long haul, and being that I'm only 22 (and therefore will probably be up for harder fights over my diet later in life), the long term is crucially important to me and more so than losing ALL my weight right now.

Also, if I don't allow myself wiggle room once in a while and plan it, I end up falling off in more spectacular style - my first attempt at weight loss was only 10 lbs, and when I got done, I fell hard and put on 22 lbs. I ain't doing this again starting with 50!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    well...this issue always confuses me...who are we cheating? ourselves? does that make any sense?
    your body doesnt want a cheat day,,,,here you are ...treating it nice and warm with good clean food and BBAM,,,,you throw some sugary crap down your throat? I dont get it.
  • shariweber
    Options
    I agree with Dave- who are you cheating?
    I am still new at this so my advice is just how I am doing so far:
    I am very meticulous about my intake and have been for Months! Wasn't losing any weight and started to eat a bit more and now it is coming off. Still hard to eat that much which is funny. My problem has been activity more than anything and fasting all the time.
    Anyway...
    We just had our ST Patty's party at a friends house. It is an annual tradition with Guinness, corned beef, soda bread and chocolate mint cake. Since I knew what it was, I planned ahead. Worked out a lot, had just fruit for breakfast & lunch. Still went over my calories, but figure there are only a few holidays in the year.
    Since then, I have had to drink tons of water for all of the sodium!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ok~
    Baby steps.

Nope I dont do cheat days ..rewarding myself with junk food would be a big mistake..i have to agree with Dave on this one
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't do a "cheat day" or a "cheat meal", but if I really really want something I'll have it. I try to keep it in my calories, but some days you just need some chocolate cake! I do find that those days are getting fewer and far between. It really is true that once you train yourself to know what's better for you, you tend to make better decisions all around.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't have a designated cheat day, and I don't go for a cheat meal either, but I also have what I want if I really want it. I do't call it cheating, I just call it life. The thing to remember is that doing those types of things all day everyday.....well why bother trying to lose wait. 1 day won't undo a healthy lifestyle change. Just do it and don't call it cheating.

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week usually on the weekend. I find it sets you up for failure if you totally deny yourself certain foods. I still lose weight so whatev...
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheating because I don't forbid myself anything. So there is nothing to cheat from.

Instead, I have a food plan that has me hitting certain nutritional goals on a running 3-4 day average. If I can work a bite of chocolate into my plan that day and I want it, I eat it. If I can't, I have to decide if it's worth it to eat it anyway and what I'm going to do the next day to adjust.

As long as my running average for the past 3-4 days meets my plan, then I am happy.

I find this works much better for me that strictly denying myself for weeks at a time. I want a plan I can live with for the rest of my life, so anything too restrictive is out. Plus, since I know I can have it if I'm willing to pay the price, then most of the time I decide it's just not worth it and don't have it.
  • Kasey42588
    Options
    I might have one cheat day a week, and it's usually on the weekends, although this week, it was yesterday. A lot of times, my boyfriend and I eat out, or we are having family functions or just hanging out by the fire pit in my backyard. By me saying "cheat foods" I'm talking more than one/two beers and a bag of buttery popcorn. Haha. Or salsa and chips. Nothing extreme because I find it really easy to get off track when I do that.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheating because I don't forbid myself anything. So there is nothing to cheat from.

Instead, I have a food plan that has me hitting certain nutritional goals on a running 3-4 day average. If I can work a bite of chocolate into my plan that day and I want it, I eat it. If I can't, I have to decide if it's worth it to eat it anyway and what I'm going to do the next day to adjust.

As long as my running average for the past 3-4 days meets my plan, then I am happy.

I find this works much better for me that strictly denying myself for weeks at a time. I want a plan I can live with for the rest of my life, so anything too restrictive is out. Plus, since I know I can have it if I'm willing to pay the price, then most of the time I decide it's just not worth it and don't have it.

this seems like a wise approach,,,,"cheating" would seem to set up a system for a built in excuse....but if you plan for it and pay for it and consider the true cost...it isn t cheating, it is a choice
  • mommyofone
    Options
    There are times that i have bad days and I just try to limit myself but when it's that time of mth I can't not limit nothing:laugh: but it's ok to do it everyone once in awhile but not everyday
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    No cheating.... this is a new lifestyle.. a new way of eating. It does not involve weekly scheduled binges