Have you fasted all night so you could eat normally all day ?

Options

Have you fasted all night so you could eat normally all day ? 7 votes

No
42% 3 votes
Yes
57% 4 votes
I'll try it
0% 0 votes

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    Why, Robin? Is there something you're considering doing? Do you feel you need to stop eating because you've eaten too much during daytime or is it something else?
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Going 12 hours overnight without eating should not be considered fasting but something most people should do. Eating at night after dinner always added unneeded extra calories and weight gain for me.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question...what do you mean by "all night" and "all day"?
    I don't typically eat after dinner until I have breakfast the next morning. That's "eating normally" for me.
  • Summersigh2015
    Summersigh2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous question.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I eat up to 10:30 pm and then won't eat again till 12pm

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    For losing or maintaining weight, it doesn't matter when you eat, just how many overall calories you are eating. Some people do well by restricting calories after dinner to avoid snacking or don't eat in the morning because they aren't really hungry then. Others eat whenever they are hungry, whether that is bedtime or the middle of the night.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Please clarify the question. I'm going to assume you aren't referring to when we're sleeping, so don't know what you mean by "all night."

Sundown to sun up? That doesn't make sense this time of year here when sunset is at 4:27 PM.

After dinner to breakfast the next day? Sure, lots of people stop eating after dinner. I'm not sure that needs to be called "fasting" though, although it would fall under the Intermittent Fasting umbrella. I think Time Restricted Eating is a clearer description.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I don’t eat while sleeping so yep
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand the question, in ways others have described. And besides that, what does "eat normally" mean?

If you're asking whether some people limit the hours during which they eat, as part of a weight loss effort, yes they do. If limiting eating hours helps someone limit calories enough, that can work, even without counting calories. If limiting hours doesn't help them limit calories, it won't work. (Time Restricted Eating TRE), or Intermittent Fasting (IF) are what that's usually called.

I don't do it because that wouldn't work for me. eat anytime from about a hour after I get up in the morning (delay because there's a med I need to take first thing, then wait before eating), all the way up to literal bedtime . . . occasionally even in bed. Like others, of course I don't eat while sleeping. I lost weight fine, I can maintain weight fine.

I have a normal-for-me eating routine where I eat around my calorie goal (say +/- 50), and get good nutrition (structured goals to hit a protein minimum, a fat minimum, and a certain volume of veggies/fruits). Occasionally, I eat over goal calories, and don't worry about the nutritional details. (I don't consider these "cheat days", BTW.)

I haven't ever fasted (overnight or otherwise) in order to eat more later. I wouldn't enjoy that. I have eaten more lightly at breakfast/lunch if I know I have a bigger dinner in my plans, but want to stick to goal calories.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I think we all fast overnight unless we get up at 3am and have a pizza or something. Just understand that Fatloss is a product of a consistent WEEKLY calorie deficit over time and not a product of when you actually take in those calories.