Healthy dinner ideas?

Options
(no quinoa)

Answers

• frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That is such a wide open question. Can you give some idea of what types of food you like and any food restrictions in addition to quinoa? Are there any specific health goals that you're aiming for that your current dinner options don't achieve?

I'm having chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight. Soups, stews, and curries are some of my favorites this time of year. I'm aiming to keep my sodium levels lower, increase fiber, and increase protein. So I select recipes that are in line with those goals and/or modify with those goals in mind - low sodium broth and canned goods, increase the vegetable content, use higher fiber carb options, etc.

Happy to make some additional suggestions if you can elaborate a bit more on what information you're wanting.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Couscous?

Seriously @briannadiamond2005 you need to tell us a bit more than just throw two words at us. We're trying to help, but we know nothing about you, how you'd like to eat, in which country you live, if you cook or not, if you have food allergies, if there are medical reasons to eat or not eat certain things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Generic question?

Generic answer: A combination of foods you enjoy eating, find practical/affordable, that add up to reasonable calories given the context of your day/goals, and that contribute meaningfully to adequate overall nutrition for the day.

Skip the quinoa, though. ;)

We could be more helpful if you gave us more info. Maybe check out the recipes in the MFP blogs?

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipes/

Tonight, I'm probably having spaghetti squash with marinara and cheese, but I haven't decided for sure . . . and a lot of people wouldn't enjoy that as much as I do.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    On chilly nights, it's hard to beat vegetarian chili over Fritos, topped with shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sour cream and chopped green onion. It's truly a meal in a bowl and so delicious. Fresh fruit & chocolate to follow.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    (no quinoa)

What do you mean by healthy? Just low calorie/low fat? Or also low salt? It can really vary.

An easy healthy meal is often fajitas. Thin pieces of lean meat (chicken or steak), seasoned. You can grill or air fry with a season mix or marinade.

Onions cut up and cut-up bell pepper strips grilled or cooked in olive oil (or healthy oil of your choice). To reduce calories, you can use Olive Oil spray.

Season to taste. If you are using the pre-made fajita seasoning--it may be a little higher in salt.

Serve with canned refried beans with jalapeno. A teaspoon of sour cream if you want. My sister substitutes a side of spicy tomato-based salsa...but my brother-in-law likes his sour cream.

Fairly healthy and not complicated If you want, you can add a heated soft tortilla. Or eat it without it. Avoid the cheese add-ons.

The peppers and onions are really low calorie. The chicken or streak strips are lean and you usually this is 2 to 3 ounces tops. 1/2 cup of refried beans really isn't bad and so much fiber. Jalapenos are low calorie and give the beans a kick.

The biggest calories are in the sour cream, cheese, or tortillas. Just keep those limited. I just removed the cheese completely.

Quick, easy. Great as left overs. Make a big batch and have it for lunch meals. Vary dinner.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    loulee997 wrote: »
    (no quinoa)

What do you mean by healthy? Just low calorie/low fat? Or also low salt? It can really vary.

An easy healthy meal is often fajitas. Thin pieces of lean meat (chicken or steak), seasoned. You can grill or air fry with a season mix or marinade.

Onions cut up and cut-up bell pepper strips grilled or cooked in olive oil (or healthy oil of your choice). To reduce calories, you can use Olive Oil spray.

Season to taste. If you are using the pre-made fajita seasoning--it may be a little higher in salt.

Serve with canned refried beans with jalapeno. A teaspoon of sour cream if you want. My sister substitutes a side of spicy tomato-based salsa...but my brother-in-law likes his sour cream.

Fairly healthy and not complicated If you want, you can add a heated soft tortilla. Or eat it without it. Avoid the cheese add-ons.

The peppers and onions are really low calorie. The chicken or streak strips are lean and you usually this is 2 to 3 ounces tops. 1/2 cup of refried beans really isn't bad and so much fiber. Jalapenos are low calorie and give the beans a kick.

The biggest calories are in the sour cream, cheese, or tortillas. Just keep those limited. I just removed the cheese completely.

Quick, easy. Great as left overs. Make a big batch and have it for lunch meals. Vary dinner.

Plain non-fat Greek yogurt can be a sub for sour cream, higher in protein, lower in calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    HEPJan2015.jpg

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

Translations of the Healthy Eating Plate are also available in over 25 languages.