Swimming - Questions

Options
Swimming is my favorite exercise and the only one I seem to be able to keep up on a regular basis because it is so enjoyable. With that said the only time the pool is open is from 8PM-10PM. Would it be better for me to eat an early dinner (6:00) or wait and eat dinner when I get back from swimming which would be around 10PM by the time I am home and cooked it. I know "they" it is bad to eat at night but I thought as long as you are not eating over your allotted amount of calories it doesn't matter what time you eat.
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• mhopp71
    mhopp71 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    the answer is actually "both" You should eat something light an hour (no joke) before and then protein after. Not too much especially if you head to bed soon after. that's all
  • corinnekb
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I agree with your original thought that it doesn't matter what time you eat.. it matters about the calories. Although you would wouldn't want to eat a heavy meal then sleep because it might come back up.. that wouldn't be good!

The myths that people STICK with and don't even research are amazing!!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Swimming tends to make people super hungry, so I would probably recommend eating dinner after you swim only because if you ate before, then swam, and got hungry again, you may go for the unhealthy snacks or eat a whole dinner again. Again, if the calories work out to allow you two dinners, go for it. I certainly ate two breakfasts and two dinners when I swam competitively and swam in the morning and at night. Just being aware of how hungry you personally tend to be after swimming should help you make the best decision.
  • cccgrillo
    cccgrillo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would say to eat something small before your workout and save a light dinner for after. Can you prep dinner before the pool, then just reheat after, to save you some time? I am starving after a pool workout, so i would be reaching for convenience foods if I didn't have something prepared ahead of time.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Swimming tends to make people super hungry, so I would probably recommend eating dinner after you swim only because if you ate before, then swam, and got hungry again, you may go for the unhealthy snacks or eat a whole dinner again. Again, if the calories work out to allow you two dinners, go for it. I certainly ate two breakfasts and two dinners when I swam competitively and swam in the morning and at night. Just being aware of how hungry you personally tend to be after swimming should help you make the best decision.

I totally agree with this. I'm always famished after I swim, so I eat something light before and eat my meal after.
  • corinnekb
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice! It's pretty much what I have been doing eating a light snack and saving dinner for after my swim or eating a light dinner early and eating a light snack after my swim, depending on how my day ends up.
  • MrsBlackman
    Options
    i swim regularly too and if I swim at night, I eat dinner before I swim then I have fruit when I get home just to satisfy my hunger.