I want to exercise, but i think...

Options
I think i should take a day off, I'm really sore in almost all areas of my body, i have been going nonstop for a week or so now and think its time i gave myself a recoup day... is this a bad idea? should i just push through it? im afraid this will just start a bad streak of finding excuses to not exercise...

Replies

• echar4us
    echar4us Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you should give your body one day to recover or else you will over work it. Other than that you been doing really good staying at it and being focused. Best of luck to you!!
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would say take a day off. I try to take one or two days off each week from working out.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You need a day off...I would say, just do a slow walk and then take some time to stretch real good, then take a hot bath with epsom salt. That will help with the soreness.
  • MrsBlackman
    Options
    Sunday is a day of rest don't you know ;o)

Have one day a week off.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    You need to give your muscles a day to relax and recover....:)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    recovery is just as important as working out. Taking 2-3 days off a week is fine. I don't like to take multiple days off at a time all in a row, because I just like going to the gym - but you need to rest your body. And I hope you are doing strength training in addition to cardio. :)
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important! Your body has been working hard and needs some time to recover. If you feel like you have to do something, take a short, easy walk or do some gentle yoga.

I too find it difficult to take rest days sometimes. But my workouts feel better, and my body feels better when I do.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes take a day off ! Your body needs at least 1 day a week to rebuild, during the exercise we tear the muscles down, it's the rest days that let them rebuild and get stronger. Seriously rest days here and there are just as important as the exercise itself! Good luck!
  • tangal88
    Options
    Its actually better, in general, to have one rest day every 6-7 days. Some people do a one rest in every three workout days.

The body needs a rest day to recoup, and muscle only grows with resting. I also think, many people mentally, need a rest day to be better able to tackle the challenges of the week.
  • Take a day off!!!
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I take every Saturday off. Sometimes I take 2 or 3 days off. I find if I don't I get over tired and stop going , so a day off works for me. I like going to the gym.
  • dannylives
    Options
    You should definitely take a day off. Maybe even two OR MORE depending on how you feel. Your muscles get stronger at rest. Your joints may need some down time.
  • Corig22
    Corig22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    the changes to your body actually happen during your rest periods. You should always take 1 to 2 days off each week. I try to work out hard for 3 days then take a break. Then go for 2 and take a break. If I feel my motivation is slipping, then I try to just go for a walk on my off days. Nothing hard, just to get the muscles and blood moving. It really helps!
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well, fair enough, thanks guys!

I am not working too hard on strength training as of now, i wanted to hit my first goal with just dietary change and cardio then i was planning on starting strength training to speed up the weight loss.

Thanks again guys!
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You need a day off...I would say, just do a slow walk and then take some time to stretch real good, then take a hot bath with epsom salt. That will help with the soreness.

A slow walk and stretching is good!!! Rest and relax, just watch your calories and tomorrow is another day!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    one or two rest days a week is good. split them out as your body and schedule dictate.