Anytime Fitness Reviews?

Options
I'm looking for a gym, because I've pretty much exhausted the limits of the dumbbells in my apartment gym. There is in Anytime Fitness within a 5 minute walk of my house. Any reviews? Like, dislike, things to watch out for?

Replies

• scouvson13
    Options
    I'm a member of Anytime Fitness (Conyers, GA) and I love it! The staff are very nice and are always willing to help you. Other members of the gym are very friendly and keep to themselves. It sure beats LA Fitness and other gyms that I've a member of. Definitely not a meat market!! People at Anytime Fitness range from all ages and all sizes and are there for their overall improvement in health. I think that Anytime Fitness would be a great gym for anyone looking for peace, comfort and above-quality exercise equipment.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of AF and I like it. I have worked out at a few different locations and they are all different, so I would recommend asking about a free one-week trial membership to see how you like that particular club.
  • JennyLJones
    JennyLJones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know your post was about fitness gyms and such but have you tried a program like P90X. I'm on my 2nd round and we use dumbells but there are so many different variations to use them I never get wore out or top out at all. When I feel its too easy I just increase my weight? The program has some great workouts for the whole body and I can do it anytime day or night.

That being said, does your city have a local YMCA?
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree....the one where I live is awesome. Very modern and roomy with tons of equipment with TV. But I've gone by some in other cities (I could see in) and wasn't as impressed. Plus it depends on the people that work there if you are looking for a trainer.

I'd go for the one week trial. But like the other poster, I gave up my membership because for the same payment per month I got at treadmill and I do workouts at home with weights.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of anytime fitness and I loved it! All the staff and people there were great. I only left because I moved and the closest one was 30 minutes away :(

The best thing about them was that you can go to any club anywhere - great for people who travel or want to go to a different gym after work or something.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I've been with AF for 2 years and LOVE it! I hated our local YMCA, AF is tons better!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of my free trial with them (you can get a free 7-day pass, and if you sign up for it with your facebook log-in, they'll double it to 14 days). I will likely join because it's only a 2 minute drive from work. Each one is different, though, so definitely do the pass and try it out before you join. I have just found that working out at home isn't going to happen. I walk in the door and the kids are bombarding me, there's dinner to cook, laundry to do, etc. So I go at lunch or right after work. I put on my iPod and it's quickly becoming my "me time". I find I can unwind and work out uninterrupted. My son is still at daycare at that time and my daughter has the gym's number and can call if she has an emergency (she's 12 and can stay home by herself), so it works out great for me. I also like the variety of machines they have...ellipticals, treadmills, stairsteppers, bikes, weight machines, Pilates machines, etc. I may even get brave and sign up for some personal training sessions!

I think the most important thing is for each person to do what works. If I try to work out at home, I find 15 other things that need to be done. If I commit to going to the gym to have my "me time", I'm much more likely to actually get the work out done than if I do it at home. I leave my cell in my purse, too, so I am basically incognito for that hour!
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I joined Anytime Fitness 3 weeks ago and am loving it. It is two blocks from my house and with that and the anytime hours the convenience is great. Mine is not large but I live in a small town. Plenty of choices and great weight choices. The people range through many ages and are polite and keep generally to themselves. The staff has been great and supportive.
  • rubystar07
    rubystar07 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am pretty satisfied with Anytime fitness. I think when you consider the price and if it is convenient to you, go for it. I know they offer 7 day free passes on the website (for one location only) that you can try it for 7 days and see if it would work for you. This is what I did, and we ended up staying. Here are my major likes:

-it is 1 block from my apartment
    -it is always open
    -my health insurance offers me $20 back every month if I go at least 12 times (which I get in most months)
    -there are 2 other anytime fitness centers in the area, so I can go to the one farther north where they have a workout room with videos once a week (I am addicted to kickboxing video!).
    -personal TVs on each cardio machine (I have not seen this at all the anytime fitness places)

I used to belong to a nice independant club (a lot like the Y...mid range, nice, but not too fancy) and the big disadvantage was their limited hours. It is nice to be able to go on my schedule. BTW, friday nights and saturdays are awesome times to go to the gym...its so empty!