Numbing while on Elliptical

Options
This may sound weird but after I'm on the elliptical (sp?) for about ten or fifteen minutes my feet get tingly and numb. At first I though maybe my shoes were too tight but that didn't make a difference, neither did a different pair of shoes or a different elliptical machine in the gym. Does anyone else have this problem or know what would cause this?

Replies

• rhinovr
    rhinovr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It does happen to me too! I thought it was just me. lol I just keep plodding away. I'd like to see what other people experience too. Good post!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I get it from time to time, I switched shoes as well as talked to my Dr. and he told me that it was probably from putting pressure on one part of your foot for a long period of time. All I do when it happens now is move my toes or pick my feet up like I am actually walking and it does help.
  • LovesNoodles
    Options
    yup, I do get numbing in the bottom of my feet lol
    woohoo! I'm normal LOL

...well kind of ;)
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I get this sometimes in spin class. I looked it up and the best advice I could find was to keep wiggling your toes and loosen your shoes a bit
  • lijparsons
    Options
    It happens to me too. Sorry, I don't have a remedy. I just keep going. :happy:
  • horndave
    Options
    I do the same thing on the ellipitcal. Think it has to with keeping your feet flat and the blood flow to that area. I have tried just being on my toes and reversing the direction for a minute or two and that does seem help.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I used and elliptical for the first time in several years this weekend. I got sea legs and numb feet terribly. Try getting a good balance between both of your feet before you start, so that your weight is even.

My sides/back/abs killed afterwards too!
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    me too??? just my left foot...eventually i can't feel my toes at all. this is usually after about 20-30 mins. i just keep going. Doesn't happen when i run outside and i wear the same shoes. I just figure my body is protesting the torture.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I had the problem more than a year ago and someone told me it had to do with leaning forward and pushing with your toes. I have found since that it doesn't happen if I lean back and focus on a more natural walking posture. On many machines this means not hanging on to the handles but I havent had any tingly toes since!
  • rcrea
    rcrea Posts: 80
    Options
    Happens to me all the time. My guess is it happens because you are exerting pressure yet not flexing or pointing your feet so they are staying in one position for a long time.
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue, if I do any kind of circuit/aerobics type thing, my feet cramp up. (doesn't happen when I'm on the bike)
    I've tried losening my shoes, changing my shoes, even going barefoot. But nothing works.

I thought it was just something wierd with me.
  • VLGmom
    VLGmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - elliptical, bike, running - any time I'm working hard. I also get really cold and colorful (think blue and yellow) feet and sometimes hands in the winter. I think it might be a blood pressure / circulatory thing? I mentioned it to my doctor a while ago and he didn't seem to concerned. I'm interested to see what others have to say.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I hate it. It happens to me when i do the elliptical for over 30 minutes or so. Glad to see I'm not a weirdo...well, maybe. :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think it's a near universal phenomenon. Try getting off the machine for 30 seconds and back on. Toe wiggling, adjusting foot position - it all helps. But to be honest, I've just mostly accepted it happens and let it go.
  • ljloran
    Options
    Yep, I have the same problem and not just on the elliptical. And it always seems to start with my left foot 'ring' toe spreading to the ball of my foot. I've changed shoes, wiggled my toes and loosening my laces. It has helped some, but has not eleviated the problem entirely. It's not severe for me so I just keep plodding on.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one! It's not so bad where I have to get off, I just keep going but will try to even out my feet more see if that helps. thanks guys!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    My left foot sometimes get a little tingly while I'm on one, but if I wiggle it just a bit it feels better. Now when I'm running normally is when it's worse. I don't know if I need better shoes or I'm running on my feet improperly or what.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that happens to me and my oldest daughter also. My youngest seems to have avoided whatever it is. I actually happens sometimes when I walk for exercise too. For me, it seems to be repetetive movement because it never happens during Zumba or other aerobics with varied routines.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - elliptical, bike, running - any time I'm working hard. I also get really cold and colorful (think blue and yellow) feet and sometimes hands in the winter. I think it might be a blood pressure / circulatory thing? I mentioned it to my doctor a while ago and he didn't seem to concerned. I'm interested to see what others have to say.

What you are describing is Raynaud's Syndrome. I have it, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

I also have the numbing in my feet on the elliptical. I don't get it on the orbital or treadmill, though.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this, I honestly have the same problem with my life foot going Numb while on the Elliptical.