Mediterranean Diet?

Options
tsmart7
tsmart7 Posts: 1 Member
Anyone follow a Mediterranean diet on here? My doctor is suggesting it and wasn't sure if anyone had some great recipes that fall within this type of lifestyle.

Replies

• cmweston
    cmweston Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    :) Hey there! I'm also looking for some easy Mediterranean meal plans. Following...
  • lchanson
    lchanson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Working on following this. Also suggested by my doctor. Following…
  • cathikelly
    cathikelly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended same diet. I am starting with an anti inflammatory diet first and should easily be able to transition to that.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    perryc05 wrote: »

Maybe good for recipes, but there's also a lot of misinformation on the keto diet

"The keto diet may help you lose weight quickly. A 2019 Nutrients review found that the keto diet can also help control blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity. And you don't have to count calories to follow it. "
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Maybe good for recipes, but there's also a lot of misinformation on the keto diet

"The keto diet may help you lose weight quickly. A 2019 Nutrients review found that the keto diet can also help control blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity. And you don't have to count calories to follow it. "

Yes it's not a source for health info. It's primarily for recipes and the site responds well to keyword searches. Ignore what isn't relavent for you. Every source of information should be crossed checked against multiple sources to make an assessment about its accuracy and validity. I recommend the CRAAP test:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRAAP_test
  • newyou40
    newyou40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of switching. I am doing it for weight loss and health reasons. I am working on creating a 30 menu and recipes. This will be week two. Last week I make chicken meatballs, indian lentil soup, tomato basil soup, 13 bean soup, tomato sauce, hummus. This week I am making a white bean dip, chickpea soup, chickpea pakoras and a quinoa tabbouleh. Most of the soups I can freeze which is helpful.
  • StrawberryMeows
    StrawberryMeows Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    newyou40 wrote: »
    I am in the process of switching. I am doing it for weight loss and health reasons. I am working on creating a 30 menu and recipes. This will be week two. Last week I make chicken meatballs, indian lentil soup, tomato basil soup, 13 bean soup, tomato sauce, hummus. This week I am making a white bean dip, chickpea soup, chickpea pakoras and a quinoa tabbouleh. Most of the soups I can freeze which is helpful.

This is good to see- question, do you have issues with bloat or gas when eating chickpeas and beans? I’m guessing not since you are using a lot of it, but that’s my issue- anyone know if there is a way to remedy this?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is good to see- question, do you have issues with bloat or gas when eating chickpeas and beans? I’m guessing not since you are using a lot of it, but that’s my issue- anyone know if there is a way to remedy this?

For most people it's the rapid introduction of far more fiber than they are used to consuming where things like legumes and lentils are concerned. Introduce slowly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options

Yes, I second phasing in slowly.

Also, consider an enzyme like "Beano".
  • mbinaz2019
    mbinaz2019 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

The Mediterranean diet is not the same as Keto. It includes fruits, whole grains, beans and dairy as well as nuts, seeds, olive oil. It is not a high-fat diet like Keto. I did Keto a number of years ago, and once I went back to eating a more balanced diet, the weight came back. And, I wasn't eating lots of sugar or white flour - just added healthy grains and fruit, and cut back on saturated fats.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801
  • rjonezie888
    rjonezie888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cathikelly wrote: »
    My doctor recommended same diet. I am starting with an anti inflammatory diet first and should easily be able to transition to that.

I am actually taking this approach as well!
  • Neighbor_Nancy
    Neighbor_Nancy Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My husband IS from the Mediterranean area (Turkey). While I make many of his family's recipes, I also highly recommend The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook by America's Test Kitchen. I spent a little more $ and purchased the spiral bound cookbook, as I'm hard on cookbooks. Our biggest weight and health challenge is reducing carbs, because he loves bread. I make sourdough with more whole grains, but he still prefers a traditional French loaf and brings it home from the store. Now that it is cooler in NC, I'm making more soups, like: https://www.copymethat.com/r/kOBUAqh1T/turkish-red-lentil-soup-mercimek-corbasi/

My biggest suggestion is to go to Greek or Turkish restaurant and see what you like. Become familiar bulgur, beans, and lentils. Eat a lot of tomatoes, cucumbers, yogurt, and hummus.
  • aeforred
    aeforred Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I second The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook. Marla Heller, MS, RD has a series of Mediterranean cookbooks. I have The DASH Diet Mediterranean Solution, which combines the principles of Med and DASH. The recipes are delicious.

If you're finding it difficult to change your eating pattern, don't worry. You're not alone. Most people can't adhere to a complete overhaul all at once, and that's okay. They have a lot more success (I do, too) by identifying one or two small steps to start with.

When I decided to change my eating pattern, I focused on adding one serving of vegetables to what I ate at lunch and dinner every day, and one serving of fish per week. As I increased those amounts, the things I was supposed to limit naturally decreased, without me feeling deprived. I accidentally gave up soft drinks by focusing on increasing my daily water intake.

Small hinges swing big doors. You just have to find what works for you.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    My husband IS from the Mediterranean area (Turkey). While I make many of his family's recipes, I also highly recommend The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook by America's Test Kitchen. I spent a little more $ and purchased the spiral bound cookbook, as I'm hard on cookbooks. Our biggest weight and health challenge is reducing carbs, because he loves bread. I make sourdough with more whole grains, but he still prefers a traditional French loaf and brings it home from the store. Now that it is cooler in NC, I'm making more soups, like: https://www.copymethat.com/r/kOBUAqh1T/turkish-red-lentil-soup-mercimek-corbasi/

My biggest suggestion is to go to Greek or Turkish restaurant and see what you like. Become familiar bulgur, beans, and lentils. Eat a lot of tomatoes, cucumbers, yogurt, and hummus.

I would stay away from any ATK cookbook unless you're American and have a very American taste as none of their somewhat international books come anywhere close to the real thing but are extremely Americanized.
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love The Mediterranean Dish and follow her on Instagram. Great recipes from traditional to more creative/fusion type things. I eat this style because it’s my culture, but generally think lots of vegetables and healthy fats, very little processed food besides yogurt and some cheeses. Basically keep things simple and flavorful. I hope it works for you and I hope you love it!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Baked fish of choice and Broccoli rabe

(I like baking fish to avoid additional calories from oil.. I spend my oil cals with sauteeing veggies. I blanch the broccoli first and then dry, then waiter with lemon and garlic. )

My in laws in Italy typically have olives and fennel on their table, lots of fish, lamb, goat, broccolini, tomatoes, eggplant, artichokes, simple salads after dinner.. just lettuce, oil and white vinegar.