Asking Runners About Pulled Calf Muscle

Options
I'm on a 90 day journey to shape, lower body fat and cholesterol. I walk twice a day (morning and afternoons) for around 3-5kms and I strength train 3 times a week. I started with only 2 strength trainings and only 2km of walking a day then I started building up to power walking and then jogging/running (on and off).

Not sure how helpful this is but I'm 42, 5'2, and 56kg.

I used to run when I was in my 20s and 30s but my physical activity wasn't on this scale and I did it on and off. For example, I didn't know I was supposed to get bigger shoes for running and power walking, especially if I'm doing it this consistently and on a daily basis and more than once a day. To cut a long story short, one of my toes developed trauma, probably due to being suffocated in the shoe. It turned blue and very painful. I continued to persevere with topical antibiotics. It was extremely painful at then got a little better. I bought bigger shoes and pressed on.

This week I'm a little sore (hormonal) so everything is already achy and fudged up. I noticed I developed horrible pain in the lower part of my calf. The same leg with the trauma toe. It feels like a part of that leg is very tight and painful when I move my foot. I THINK what might have happened is due to the trauma, I wasn't somehow moving normally, clenching my toes, I was putting strain on my calf somehow. Or it might be from the new shoes. I usually run/walk in Nike Pegasus, I went with a Zoom (one size up).

I took a hot shower last night as usual after my long walk, sprayed Magnesium on the achy part, lathered Fastum, and swallowed a tube of Collagen (which I still am not convinced actually works but whatever). I woke up this morning feeling a little better but it's still hurting me. I rolled around on my roam roller and it felt a little better. I put on my running shoes and went for my usual morning walk. Somehow after walking for a bit, the pain eased a little.

I don't know what to do now. I can still walk on it. I want to continue my program but I don't know if I should be doing something else. Should I schedule a massage? Cupping? Cupping with needles and drawing blood? Would any of that help?

I don't want to stop. This journey was SO difficult for me. I worked SO HARD, I feel like crying. My hormones are already all over the place. I feel like crap. I was hoping I would share this here and people who run regularly would tell me perhaps this is something normal or maybe tips that helps.

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I don't have your specific issue. But I ran exactly 0 kilometers last week instead of my regular 25-30km because I have a niggling heel issue.

As a general rule, better to stop running for a week and prevent a mild injury than to persist and then be sidelined for several months with an aggravated injury.

You mention tightness: sounds like massaging and stretching regularly could help. I would continue walking if it doesn't bother you then.

PS are you prone to muscle cramps? That spot you describe sounds like the first spot that I get cramps in when I'm low on magnesium (I take a supplement occasionally)
    When I get a big cramp at night, it's very sore the next day(s).
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Agree with @liechi. Try potassium and magnesium, then try wrapping your calf with an ACE bandage--not too tight, just enough for support. The heat and support usually does the trick. After a couple of days it usually will get better. Remember to wrap very loosely at night for circulation, and a little tighter during the day.

Next, if you aren't already, start a good stretching program for your feet and legs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    If you have a pulled muscle, strenous exercise won't let it heal up. You can do light exercising and stretching it out to do it. One of the best stretches I teach for tight calves is put your toe up on a wall (flexed) heel on the floor, step the other leg back into a half lunge. Then you bend your front leg forward so you feel the calf, plantar and achilles tendon stretch. Only go as far a you can without major pain. Hold for like 10 seconds and repeat like 10 times. Do this daily for 3 or 4 times a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Enchanting_Carrot
    Enchanting_Carrot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi Thank you so much. I take B complex supplements when I feel I need it and it contains a decent amount of magnesium. I do sometimes get restless leg syndrome, especially at night. I'll try it for sure! Thank you again.

@snowflake954 Thank you! I'll definitely look into it. I think my Potassium was slightly on the lower end if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can incorporate a banana in my diet! Which stretching do you recommend? Do you have an online channel or program for stretching that you recommend?

@ninerbuff Thank you so much. I feel it is definitely getting better, although still sore if I twist my foot too much. I try to relax my foot at all times while walking. The stretch sounds interesting. Is there a similar video I can find online for reference!? The thing is, I don't stretch anymore. I used to, but for a couple of weeks now I am not consistent. I don't know where I read once that stretching isn't actually advisable for workout. Not sure why.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,127 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quote Ninerbuff from a topic I started about stretching:
    "Whatever stretching you do, it should be dynamic stretching before a run, and static stretching after. NEVER static stretch as a warm up."

In your case, I would definitely stretch a few times throughout the day. I've been trying to do the same for my foot (injury).

(PS I never really stretched during the 4 years I've been running and now my hips are quite stiff and progress is slow. I've been trying to build a habit, probably better if you don't lose the habit you actually have 😄 )
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been stretching for 40 years--I started in my 20's. Now it's imperative since I'm 68 with a bad case of OA. I need to stretch to function. I need to move to function. There's no other choice.

Over the years I've added on to my stretching. I started with a Jane Fonda book and 40 min. I'm now up to 90 min and could do more to get everything in. I added in yoga stretches, and especially things that looked good to me on MFP over the years. There are members that have posted videos for specific problems and I watch--and learn and try.

So, my routine is tailored to me and I can't share it. I can recommend yoga and I have now started a Tai Chi routine in the local park with a Chinese group every morning. THAT is a game changer for sure. The benefits are enormous, so I plan to keep it going and need to eliminate other things. There's only so much time in a day, and I love swimming too. So just go on YouTube and find something that looks good. Niner has given you a good start, and he's a fitness expert. Do that and see where it takes you. Keep learning.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Back when I was young on my school's track team, part of our warmup was an active stretch for the calves (which was also good for shin splints, where the front of your shin bone feels like it's on fire). Basically, you walk backwards for a short span, nice and slow, and with every step back you first stretch your toe until you make contact with the ground (short step), ease your body back until your entire foot is on the ground (which should occur while the foot is still behind you), then bring front foot back to a standing position before repeating on the other side. Repeat for your chosen distance. Then walk forward the same distance, and repeat going backwards once more. We did this for 100 yards at a time, but even 20 feet can be a good start.
  • Enchanting_Carrot
    Enchanting_Carrot Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Lietchi @snowflake954 @nossmf 🙏🏻
    You've given me so much to think about.