What am I doing wrong?

Options
I am a 29 yr old who weighs 172 at 5'5. My goal would be 140-145 (realistic goal). I've gained about 27 pounds in two years. I have a hiatus hernia and really bad acid reflux. I don't sleep well as a result, and find my energy low. The Canadian healthcare is free but very, very slow to get help so I haven't yet got the help I need. I am waiting for tests.

My fiance and I eat very healthy. We don't eat red meat so our meals with consist of chicken breast, salmon or shrimp meat wise. We make sure to have vegetables with our meals. We only eat whole grains or whole wheat. I drink rice milk. We do eat alot of fruit. We don't bring in desserts or any junk into the house (cookies, chips or other) because I don't have the will power not to eat them. I am great at not eating badly when it's not around me. We also eat several small meals instead of big meals and I eat dinner before 7 pm.

I've been counting calories with the goal of 1200 for a few weeks now. I am usually just under or just over. We try to walk for 40-60 mins a day or bike so we do this 4-5 times per week. However, no matter what I do I don't lose more than 1-2 pounds.

What might I be missing? Advice or Tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• kimberly774
    Options
    Your calorie intake maybe be to low
  • hkrosez
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? This can help as well. :) Even though you are exercising quite a bit, are you really getting your heartrate up? Cardio is important to help keep your body healthy.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm confused - you lose 1-2 pounds a week or total? And how long have you been at it?

1-2 pounds a week is about what you should be losing....

You may want to try to up your calories by a couple hundred on the days you exercise....
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    If you're losing 1-2 pounds per week, that's great!! 2 pounds per week requires a pretty large calorie deficity per day, so it will be very hard work. Your body may be resisting losing the weight for a medically-based reason, but if it's still coming off, don't be discouraged! That sounds like a very steady weight loss...it doesn't come off as quickly as it does on TV!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. Losing one or two pounds per week is perfect. Keep it up and the weight will come off. Make sure you drink your water. Maybe add a burst of energy during your walks and walk really fast for a block every few minutes.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is between 1-2 pounds a week..so you are on the right track. Losing any faster could make you gain it back. I would also suggest you watch your sodium intake and make sure you are drinkig enough water..
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    CHANGE it up!!!!! ALL of it....
    Routine is great for a child, but not for your body! It needs change.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Is that 1-2 pounds a week or total? 1-2 a week is good... And it is important that your heart rate is up when you exercise so you burn more calories.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake is definitely too low. Your BMR is ~1506 and your maintenance calories are at least 1883. You have less than 30 lbs to lose, so you should be trying to lose *at most* 1 lb a week. This is a deficit of 500 calories a day, meaning you should NET no less than 1383 INCLUDING the calories you burn walking or biking.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Open your diary it will be easier if we can see it. Go to Settings > Diary Settings > Diary Sharing and change to Public.

To answer your question though 1-2 lbs is normal. It will take time. Consistency is the key!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Are you losing 1=2 pounds per week, or that is your total loss in over a month's time? If it's a weekly loss, you are doing great. If it is total loss, it sounds like you are not eating enough to keep your body fueled, so it is hoarding weight to hold off starvation.
  • jess3012
    Options
    1-2lb a week is great!! thats what they recommend for a healthy weight loss. You don't really want to lose anymore as you are at greater risk of bouncing back once you get to your goal or so ive heard.

Also you say that you are only eating 1200 and you also exercise, you need to be eating your exercise cals back as you may put your body into starvation mode.

Well done so far!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the others... Im gonna also add.. you admitted to eating alot of fruit. Sometimes too much fruit will also be a deal-breaker with the body trying to drop weight. Even too much fruit (aka too much sugar) can be counterproductive...

With your current exercise and meal plan, you may in fact be just 'maintaining'.... Shake things up a little with your food intake... perhaps include a little more protein after your workouts if necessary...

And, as the others mentioned...

Even with Canadian healthcare - I would still consider talking with your doctor... its good to keep them abreast of the situation and what you are doing.... a phone call back should not be that difficult for them to do....

HEY, at least you are maintaining right?!? 8-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your calorie intake is definitely too low. Your BMR is ~1506 and your maintenance calories are at least 1883. You have less than 30 lbs to lose, so you should be trying to lose *at most* 1 lb a week. This is a deficit of 500 calories a day, meaning you should NET no less than 1383 INCLUDING the calories you burn walking or biking.
    I definitely agree withthis. I am thinking more in lines of eatng 1400-1650 based on several calculations and that is considered sedentary in many case.

Do you workout? And what kind of job do you have?
  • riskqueen
    Options
    Hello! It sounds like your doing everything right and it's just a matter of time. I know when I started tracking calories, I was religiously eating 1200 calories and was working out some and didn't lose an ounce. Then, I lost 3 lbs but gained it back instantly. I started a high interval intensity workout and lost a few inches right away but maintained my weight probably due to muscle gain. Now, I am eating about 1400 calories now because my workout is pretty intense and I need some extra energy. I guess my point is don't get discouraged after a few weeks. I know its tough and I nearly gave up but if you hang in there and keep doing what you're doing, eventually it WILL pay off. Another thing I tried is GNC's Ultra Mega Active vitamins and I don't know if it's in my head but I feel like they give me more energy and they are supposed to help with metabolism. DON'T GIVE UP!!! Add me as a friend if you'd like. I log in every weekday and try to support my friends. :happy:
  • DeterminedJenK
    DeterminedJenK Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    2lbs total... no per week. I'd be thrilled if it was 1-2 per week! Any progress is great!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    2lbs total... no per week. I'd be thrilled if it was 1-2 per week! Any progress is great!

Try to up your calories by another 300 calories to see if that helps. I bet you are under eating. Most people, especially when taller, you a lot more than 1200 calories to lose weight.
  • cacraft
    Options
    However, no matter what I do I don't lose more than 1-2 pounds.

1-2 lbs a week is PERFECT! Slow and steady - the same way it went on! It's unhealthy to lose it too fast. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Patience my dear.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    oh- 1-2 lbs total... I can understand why you feel a bit frustrated. Did you open your food diary?

Make sure you record every single tiny crumb that goes into your mouth- you'd be suprised how many little "licks and tastes" are forgotten in a day- and how much they add up.

I record everything- even a single cracker if I munch on it. Be diligent about your recording and see where you come out- also, measure everything- use scales, measuring cups. whatever- but don't guess.

Drink water- lots of it

Exercise- Up your calories a bit if you are exercising a lot- I am not one of those that eats all of my exercise calories- instead I eat just some of them- that works for me- everyone is different.

Stick with it. You can do this.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any sort of strength training? If not, you should.