How long until I notice a substantial improvement after completing (3 sets/20 reps donkey k) daily ?

Options
Thank you !!!

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    What improvements are you expecting? What is donkey k (kong? throwing barrels?)?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve? A firmer rear? Grow your glutes? Reduce bodyfat?

All of the above would have a different approach and how you eat will affect the outcome as well. (IE gain muscle-surplus, lose weight-deficit)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • charlene_268
    charlene_268 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to build muscle, reduce fat and tone up the glutes. Lol I meant donkey kicks!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Just 3 sets of 20 unweighted/no resistance donkey kicks? A pretty long time, I think. Sure, some modest increases in range of motion, balance, maybe some tiny strength increase at first.

If you're in a substantial calorie deficit, no muscle mass increase from such a small stimulus. If no progressive increase in the challenge, no significant muscle mass gain long term, either, just repeating the same thing.

Exercises generally don't reduce body fat, unless they burn enough calories to put you in a calorie deficit. 3 x 20 donkey kicks doesn't burn many calories, so you'd need to be managing the eating side of the equation carefully in order to lose fat. Actually, you'd need to manage the eating side of the equation even at high levels of exercise. (I've proven that to myself in my own life, staying obese while training quite hard 6 days most weeks, and even competing, at a short endurance sport.)

To build muscle, you need progressive challenge: Harder exercise, so it remains challenging as you get stronger. You also need overall good nutrition, especially adequate protein, but not just that. Doing one specific exercise and doing it every single day isn't typically the best route. (If strength and muscle mass are going to increase at all, it happens in recovery between workouts.)

"Tone up" usually means some combination of adding muscularity, and losing overlying body fat so that that muscle shows in the way you personally prefer.

Sorry to be a downer, but I think for those goals you're going to need a progressive strength program focused on glutes (some people like Strong Curves for that), good nutrition, and appropriate calories for your goals/priorities.

You can reach your goals, but you'll get there faster if you make a more comprehensive and challenging plan.

Best wishes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I want to build muscle, reduce fat and tone up the glutes. Lol I meant donkey kicks!

You reduce fat with a calorie deficit...you can't target fat with any particular exercise. As for building muscle and toning up the glutes, if donkey kicks are the only tool in your toolbox, it's going to take awhile. In general, building meaningful muscle is a pretty long process even when on a quality program and changes in development are incremental to the point that they can be difficult to notice without regular progress pictures.

As an example, after about 3 years of lifting, I didn't really feel or notice much progress just looking in the mirror (because I look at myself every single day)...but my wife and I took a beach vacation that summer and she snapped a photo of me with my shirt off...I compared it to a photo I had taken of myself when I first started lifting and it was pretty night and day