Running - Outside vs Inside - Blisters!

Options
Hi MFP Peeps!

I have always been an outside runner. I have some really great Asics that I love and was fitted properly for and have never had issues with my feet while running outside. Well I joined a gym recently so I could run inside this fall and winter (normally I stop running during the winter and was determined to not do that this year!), and yesterday was my first run on a treadmill. I now have some pretty nice blisters on the insides of both my arches. Not sure why this happened? Possible I changed my gait on the treadmill, but has anyone else had this happen? Do I need different shoes for treadmill running?

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Replies

• MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I use a treadmill in the winter, too, and have never had any problems going between the two. I'm curious to hear what others say....
  • hafdis
    hafdis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    uhh I never had blister , but I know it is completly different to run on the treadmill and outside.. somehow the treadmill takes the weight off your feet .. I cant explain it.. lol not that i'm helping you in anyway but I notice a difference between treadmill vs. outside
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Did you put an incline on the treadmill? I always put it up 1% so that it is not completely flat... don't know if that helps or not.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No incline, but that's interesting. Will have to try that!
  • akvreeland
    Options
    As odd as this sounds, it might be the type of sock you are wearing. I tend to get more blisters with cotton socks esp if I am running on the same surface (treadmill or even a track). You might want to try some non cotton socks. I would recommend going to a running store and taking to someone there.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    When I'm travelling I will sometimes run into treadmills with a belt that's a little loose and therefore I will have to change my gait to compensate. I've noticed my feet move differently inside the shoe...I'll usually stop before I have to deal with blisters but I can see that being problematic.
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying 100% this is the reasons why, as TBH I'm not 100% sure, but that said you need to take into account some difference's in the way your running on a treadmill, for example, on a treadmill the ground is not static, its in movement constantly and this would suggest that when your running your impact on the surface will be different from that of on tarmac/concrete.

Your maybe subconsciously adapting your movement to suit this situation, and therefore causing impact/friction to a part that normally wouldn't have it
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I run inside and outside all year long and have never noticed a difference. Have you ever had blisters on your arches before? It may just be time for a new pair of shoes???? The only time that I have noticed change is when I up my miles per run. Anything under 5-6 miles I'm fine, but over that I might get a blister or two. Curious, too, to see what others have experienced.
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of my friends also mentioned wearing a different type of sock, so I will also try that.

I have never had blisters before from running.

I don't quite need a new pair of shoes yet, but I do have a local running store, and maybe I will pop in there and ask them what they think also.

Thanks for the responses so far!
  • aallen8599
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. I can jog outside with no problem/no blisters, yet when I jog on the treadmill at a 1 incline, I end up with blisters on my heal almost every time! Weird...
  • aallen8599
    Options
    sorry, that should be *heel
  • sophcath123
    Options
    Hi, I came across this blog because I am Googling the exact same thing. Our stories are very similar. I usually run outside but am training for a race and decided to take it inside for 2 days in the last couple of weeks due to weather. I also wear Asics and they are my shoe of choice for many years. They are not old enough to be replaced yet.

After both days of running on the TM, I ended up with blisters on the inside of my arches on both feet. In another blog, someone mentioned it is because the treadmill is an even surface and you are using a constant repetetive motion. Running outdoors has many different terrains even with road running so you don't get those 'friction blisters' as when you indoors. It makes sense to me so hopefully explains it for you as well :)
    I guess changing the incline periodically would help just so your foot is not in the exact same position each time.

Can't wait for the nice weather again to take it back outside!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    1. Get some winter running gear
    2. Get some 3/8" Hex Head Sheet Metal Screws
    3. Do this with them:

IceShoes.jpg

4. Go back to running outside.
  • sophcath123
    Options
    Hahaha, Innovative!!
    Have the cold weather gear, just don't like the 40kph cold winds. Don't you slide with those or sound like a tapdancer??
  • klhessling
    klhessling Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's the socks
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, Innovative!!
    Have the cold weather gear, just don't like the 40kph cold winds. Don't you slide with those or sound like a tapdancer??

I only use them when it's icy or snowpacked. They provide 100% grip on ice and perform very well on hardpack snow, but they can be slick on concrete. Nothing to complain about over stretches of asphalt. Where I run in the winter is either snowpacked, icy or bare dirt/gravel, and they work great on all those. The only time I can feel the "lumps" is on hard surfaces like concrete or asphalt.

I do have to remember to take them off before I go in the house though - they aren't too forgiving on wood floors. :laugh:
  • jmcconathy
    jmcconathy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Use BodyGlide to help prevent the blisters. I'm guessing it's the socks also.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I agree, socks. I got them when I first started running and switching to a different more cushioned sock and that did away with them. I've now gone and gotten myself some socks that are specialized and have arch support and extra cushion on the ball of the foot.