Eating at night :(

Options
I have an issue with eating at night. I do good all day, then when nighttime rolls around I want to raid the cabinets for food! Anyone have any helpful tips on how to stop this?

Replies

• LJ102011
    Options
    I am the same way! I can do great until about 5 PM and then it's all down hill from there! I have tried eating a bigger breakfast but that doesn't help. I have found that if I eat dinner right around 5, I do a lot better the rest of the night. Load up on veggies and protein for dinner and it seems to help!
  • blondi28
    Options
    Eat more during the day...this will help you to be less hungry at night....also try drinking water or a cup of plain decaf tea,,,,sometimes its just a mental thing of "having to eat" or "being hungry". I had the night "eats" for a long time...was and still is the hardest part of eating right!

Good luck!
  • jewel6018
    jewel6018 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi I don't know if you are drinking the water or not. When I first started I was not drinking the water and I was doing the same thing. For some reason I have a bigger appetite at night then I do during the day. I would save some of my day calories and eat 100 calorie snacks or yogurt at night and drink the water you will feel much fuller.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Brush and floss your teeth after dinner.
  • melissabee31
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough during the day. I have done this a lot too. I will "be good" all day, and then at night, I will down a whole bunch of cookies, or whatever.

Try to establish a nightly routine. My routine is after dinner, I clean up, hang out with my husband, and then I enjoy a planned dessert or snack I've been wanting. If I plan for a dessert or "fun food," eating it is a lot more rewarding than eating 12 oreos and then just feeling guilty about it. I usually try to have one store-bought cookie and some milk, or a muffin with some butter.

Allow yourself to have whatever it is you crave - just plan for it and eat it in moderation.

Hope that helps!
  • grandpabiker
    Options
    A long time ago (around 1985) a dietician advised me to eat something like toast with jelly prior to going to bed. The dietician was adamant that I was not supposed to eat protein or fat (hard to digest when trying to sleep). Doing something like this will reduce stomach grumblings when trying to sleep.
  • bettycass
    bettycass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I have a craving to eat something at night I have some choices.....sugar free pudding cups(I squirt some Redi Whip on top), Low cal yogart, Luigi's Italian Ice (only has 100 cals), the individual cups of ice cream, and sugar free Jello(be sure to squirt on some Redi Whip). Just one of any of those satisfies my sweet tooth. If I have a craving for salt I get some sunflower seeds in the shell. The main thing is don't have anything in the house that will tempt you like cookies and the like.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Ah thank you all of you! I'll have to try these tips out :D
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with eating at night. I do good all day, then when nighttime rolls around I want to raid the cabinets for food! Anyone have any helpful tips on how to stop this?
    I save some calories for the evening.
  • CharlieOverby
    CharlieOverby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I save some calories for the evening:smile: