Mindless Snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I mostly make snacks harder to get. The things I have to snack on still have to be "assembled" in some way. I make sure there isn't anything I can just swipe a handful of. If I have cheese and crackers, I have to get out the cheese and slice it. I buy all of my produce already prepped, so I don't have that step. But I can't stand the taste of any vegetable plain, so I have to figure out a dip/marinade/topping of some kind to flavor things up. Sometimes I have half a sandwich, so have to drag everything out for that. Bonus points if it's something that makes my hands messy like cheese crackers. What I don't have are things like popcorn or cheese crackers that I can scoop up my the handful when I walk by--or worse--carry the whole container to where ever I am to snack on it.

Figuring out why all the mindless snacking is an important thing to do. I think in the meantime, strategies for the eating itself can be useful to kind of set up guardrails while you figure things out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Who has success stories for mastering not mindlessly snacking? What did you do, how did you overcome it?

I’m a busy full-time working mom, and wife, constantly balancing it all. I know I mindlessly snack as stress eating, avoiding a task, etc.
    Well first off, don't eat your kids leftovers. Next, if you're going to snack, DO NOT snack directly from a bag. Measure it out and then put the rest away. If you commute, DO NOT bring full bags of snacks with you. Again measure out a serving and THAT'S ALL YOU GET.
    Being a full time dad for my daughter till just recently, I had to do it just this way so I could just maintain my weight.
    Like anything else, if you create a routine and are consistent with it, you'll follow it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    pre log my food at the beginning of the day. pre weigh snacks and put in bowls or baggies.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    If I buy snacks (mostly crisps) then I eat them right away. Thus I try not to buy them unless I decide to offset them with a proper meal, or decide I'll go over on calories. Otherwise I'm mostly snacking after dinner. Yesterday I had 324kcal on snacks in the evening (that includes exercise calories, mind) in the form of a piece of cheese and a piece of cake. I just make sure it fits into my calories, which seems to help with deciding what i want to snack. Like I could buy a creme brulee, but it might be a lot more calories for a lot less to enjoy.
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I used to snack many times/day but I knew it wasn't hunger, only boredom/stress. More than snacking, it was continuous munching (and I work from home, so my office is about two meters from kitchen...).

So, for starters I used chewing gum. A lot of that, a lot (veeery lot) of times/day. I put it in mouth, gave very few bites and discarded it. But many many times a day, I don't know how much chewing gum I've bought!
    It lasted about 6 months, I think.
    That won my habit: finally, I had no more continuous desire for continuous munching.

At that point, I found myself obliged to add in snacks, because I was always undereating!!

So, I worked on logging.
    I was already accostumed to pre-log my two main meals (before MFP I used a personal journal), and to log my breakfast also as soon as I ate it, so I knew since from the morning how many calories I still had in the day (often since from the previous week, but that's because I meal-prep/batch cook almost every lunch and dinner of the week on the previous weekend).
    So, after having logged breakfast (this I do when I eat it, because it varies on the spur of the moment), I started logging also 3 healthy snacks that I want for sure in my day 'cause they are good for my health (1 fruit, 1 chunk of parmesan and 1 yogurth).

Added these, sometimes I needed some more calories just to reach minimum; and surely I'll have some extra calories from my exercise (I only walk, but a lot, at least 20k steps a day, and I always eat half of this too, or also more/everything in two pre-defined days/week, as when it's pizza day and hamburger day) so here goes the treats: a square of dark chocolate; some nuts; a couple of biscuits; a second fruit; sometimes, even a sandwich.
    HTH

PS: I'm never hungry anymore, but this I noticed happened since when I introduced the plate diet
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A lot of what I'd suggest has been covered, so I won't duplicate it. One small addition though: I'm in a shared office and we have a candy bowl for whoever stops by. Big bowl, and right now there are still a bunch of mini Halloween chocolate bars in there along with other stuff. I've asked one of my office-mates "if you see me starting to rummage through that bowl, tell me it's a bad idea." She doesn't have to actually stop me, or try to persuade me, or anything like that, but an external voice encouraging me to question the decision a bit can interrupt the momentum that leads to chocolate in my mouth.