When did you start to see real results....

Options
I have lost 31 pounds now with eating 6 times a day & exercising for 30 ~60 mins at least 4 days a week and have yet to see real results. I know you have to lose visceral fat before the fat under the skin goes away but jeez...I can say that I do wear some things in a smaller size but my results aren't measurable. I used a tape measurer last month & this month but there's no difference. I do feel muscles developing but I still feel the same amount of tired during exercise as week 1. I can say that I've found that eating less is much easier than I originally thought possible & feel confident that I won't eat the way I used to. A huge part of my issue is belly fat from two 9 lb kids now 6&7 & my old friends cookies, gravy, ice cream & my deep fried buddies who have now become more like associates. Ultimately I want to know what's your experience been like? Do you look the same? When did you start seeing results?

Replies

• chocolattahottie
    Options
    I had a 9lb baby myself, and I have noticed belly fat going away, but I have a way too go. I focus on cardio and muscle building, I lift weights, I do flys, I do the ab coaster, I work on my glutes, I figure that if cardio doesn't blast it, I'll tone it!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    30 pounds isn't a measureable result? You should feel very proud of yourself. 30 pounds is a great loss. Have you taken pictures and compared them to where you are now and where you are before? The belly area is the last area I saw results in. I lose from top to bottom. You need to look at your success. Like the smaller clothes, the eating less, it being easier then it was in the begining. Try to focus on the positive things you have accomplished. You will see the results, it just takes time.
  • jridgway49
    Options
    When I look in the mirror I don't see a difference but my clothes went from sz 12 pants to sz 4 and top 1x to M, I've lost 34 lbs. But this belly will just not go away and my kids are 26 and 23 yrs old.
  • gdengler
    gdengler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The best way to get real results is to focus on building muscle through strength training and only doing small amounts of cardio as a warm up and cool down to your lifting routine. I'd say a good ratio is 90% strength training and 10% cardio.

Sure, you can burn calories through cardio, but once you are done, the calorie burn is done. The more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn 24/7 regardless if you are working out or not. Also, weight training has tremendous benefits to keeping our bones strong as well. Don't think that you'll get bulky either, because we aren't built like the guys.

Also, be sure to eat all of the calories you burn off through exercise every day. Say MFP allots you 1300 calories/day but you burn 300 calories through working out, you should really eat 1600 for the day. If you eat less than MFP recommends for your weight loss you can stall the process as well.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I've just started working out my upper body (swimming) and my arms are bigger. That's because I'm building the heavy muscle under all the flab. It will be awhile before my reduced calories burns the fat on my arms, but in the mean time I get to enjoy feeling stronger!

Enjoy how healthy you are feeling and how much easier it is to exercise - the weight is coming off (30 pounds is AMAZING!) and you'll soon start to see a huge difference!
  • Daniegirl2011
    Daniegirl2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like that idea of less cardio. I do less weight training because I created this idea in my head that I have to sweat hard & breath heavy to have say that I've really worked out. It makes me feel accomplished. I'll try it though as I've set some other changes to try to amp the results.
    Pleeaaase mommies don't tell me that the belly fat doesn't go away. I'm realistic, I'm not expecting to look like I've never eatten a meal but the hang over must be banished. From what I can tell from the biggest loser contestants it's possible but their training is overly intense & I don't have that kind of time. I'll be honest & say that after I reach my goal physically & numerically & it's still not gone I'm opting for a little lipo. What do you think? Better yet do you have any other options? I'm open :)