Is carbonated water "bad"

Options
I really like it ( no sodium, no additives, just water and carbonation), but i hear it makes your belly bloat like crazy. Any experience and/or thoughts on the matter?

Replies

• curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm super curious about this as well.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    No. The only difference between carbonated water and water is the fizz. All that does is make it more acidic. It doesn't add calories or anything other than bubbles.
    Oh it might make you more windy.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I heard it's bad for your teeth or something like that, but not bad for diets or anything. I'm not sure, though.
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It's bad for your teeth, my dentist says.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    It's bad for your teeth, my dentist says.

That's because it's a higher PH than water. It is in fact no worse for you teeth than orange juice PH wise.
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    Carbonation is one of the worst things for your body.
  • SephirothsChild15
    Options

Care to explain?
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    CO2 dissolves in water by forming carbonic acid. Commercial carbonate water will often have citric or sometimes even phosphoric acid added for flavor and/or stability.

So as an acidic substance it will dissolve your teeth a bit - but no more so than orange juice or an apple, or the vinegar in your salad dressing.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one soda-water to get rid of the need for soda (been 12 years off of soda with no relapse!) - but I always love chugging my water with a little lemon!
  • SephirothsChild15
    Options
    I should say that this is *homemade* carbonated water. I have a soda-stream carbonater. I know what's going in my water
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

For an opposing (myth-busitng) point of view:

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-carbonation-bad-for-you.aspx
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2006/feb/02/water.food

It's an old link but dispels the myth that carbonation in drinks causes harm.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, no, its not.

All carbonation is water that is put under extreme compression with carbon dioxide to force them to bond together. You exhale carbon dioxide everyday, its not making you fat.

Now in terms of health, it does have some downsides. It can cause damage to your enamel on your teeth, but an easy fix is just drink it with a straw. Internally, your stomach is significantly more acidic compound, so the acid content really doesnt affect anything. Potentially it could cause damage to your esophagus, but the buffer is pretty thick, so nothing really to worry about!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I drink seltzer all the time.
    I dont' think it's bad, but like everything in this world half the people will tell you it's good for you and the other half will find a problem with it.

Bottoms up :drinker: :drinker:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I drink it all the time.

4307611598_bc765295dc.jpg
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Be careful because some club sodas etc. are made using sodium.

I think, I could be wrong...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I just get the kind where the Nutritional information says 0's all up and down the label, and nothing but water and carbonation... and as long as the doctor is ok with it, Im fine! And my teeth are fine too!