in need of advice

Options
Ok, so I've been trying my hardest to exercise at 5 times a week for 30 - 40 minutes. I do only cardio, elliptical machine and/or jogging. I'm 30 yrs old and I currently weigh 180 lbs. I would love to get down to 150 - 140 lbs...do you guys think I'm exercising enough? should I exercise more? I'm new to this site and would love any advice you have to offer. Thanks! :smile: :smile:

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    5 times a week is good. try switching things up a little with cycling, swimming, and the rowing machine, and stair climber. go to a class or something. your body can get used to an exercise and not exert itself as much. try running outside for a change.
  • msNessaK
    msNessaK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing enough cardio. You probably should just start incorporating 3 days of weights/strength training into your exercise for about 20-30mins a day. Once your build muscle you will burn more fat and lose weight faster. A lot of women worry about getting bulky from strength/weights training but you would have to be doing really heavy weights to get as bulky as some body builders.
  • piratepiet
    piratepiet Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I would say it's just math - if you burn more calories than you consume you'll lose weight. And i think 30 - 40 minutes a day, 5 times a week is great. If you log your calorie intake and stay under the suggested amount you should lose weight.

have a great time here
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get in some weight training to tone the underlying muscles. It will help you look slimmer as you slim down!
  • venragh
    venragh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    5 times a week is good. Also try being below your calorie goal. That also helps. With working out, it does not matter how long you work out. It is about how effective you work out. Push yourself out of your comfort zone while working out. Challenge yourself and you will see results when combined with cautious eating. Good luck !
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    5 times a week sounds good; you might try adding some weight training in there too!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think you're good on cardio, but it would probably help to add in some weights. The more muscle you build, the more calories you will burn-even when not exercising. I do about 45 min cardio, mostly interval training, and weights most days. I am still trying to lose 40 pounds, but really focusing on building muscle lately.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds doing absolutely nothing but walking my dog, so I would say it is totally possible. The majority of your loss is going to depend on your food intake, not exercise.

Best of luck to you. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    also, do one or two days a week for double what you normally do, and one day maybe a little less. through your body off balance a little.
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with the folks that say to incorporate strenght training...muscle burns fat! Go with a weight that will allow you to do 12-15 reps. If you chose a weight that you can't get to 12 reps, then lighten your load. Do just the opposite if you find you can easily get to 15 reps. You want the last two to three reps to be difficult without losing proper form.
  • Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the same thing. My only suggestion would be to work in about 15- 20 of some weight or resistance training before your cardio. I know that girls worry about getting bulky. but if your doing that much cardio then you will not bulk up. The muscle that you build will help you to burn more calories during your workouts and throughout the day.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    5 times a week is great, but are you making sure your dieting is matching your exercise routine too? Also some strength training, even once a week, will allow your body to access some of the protein from your diet better, and help you develop a more lean figure, as well as help boost your metabolic rate some
  • specialk523
    Options
    thanks for taking the time to read and respond...i greatly appreciate it...will try to do some strength training for at least 20 minutes. Thanks guys and good luck on your journey!