Getting My High Kicks Back

Good day, all!

At 35, I earned my black belt in taekwondo. I am 50 now, and had gained a good amount of weight after training with my black belt for years until I quit for grad school around 38 or so. Anyway, I'm now 338 lbs (235 lbs when I got my belt). I am working on, of course, losing weight, and am being successful so far. My goal is 225 or less. But my main question is about flexibility. I can still kick to about chest height with side kicks and round kicks on a good day. I'm stretching about every other day to gain flexibility as part of my work out.

My question is; at my age, how long does it take to get those head kicks back and what is the best approach? Stretching, obviously, is a start.

Thank you!

Answers

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,842 Member
    Considering some martial artists I've seen in movies, weight is not a deciding factor in ability to high kick, only flexibility.

Do you do any weight training? Quite often for a day or two after leg day, my legs are stiffer than normal, which you can manage by playing around with sets/reps scheme.
  • bennyg1973
    bennyg1973 Posts: 42 Member
    I stopped weight training legs and stick to cardio 30 minutes a day and stretching 20 minutes at least a day. I find that the more muscle my legs get the more tight.