I ALWAYS go over my sugar intake...HELP!

Options
I ALWAYS go over my sugar intake...HELP!.......

HOWEVER most of my sugar comes from fruit - so is this really so bad?

I have PCOS and I know I should be following a similar diet to a diabetic in terms of the sugar intake.

MFP sets my daily sugar goal as 34 max but I always go over as I am eating a lot of fruit for snacks.

Am i doing myself more harm than good? Or should I simply just not count the fruit sugar?

Any advice would be greatfully received. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical condition, I wouldn't pay any attention to what MFP says about sugar. I wouldn't pay much attention about what MFP says about sugar regardless as long as you're meeting your caloric goals and you're happy with where your carbs are generally.
  • jancasey
    jancasey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some fruits have a lower glycemic value
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Talk to you dr. for suggestions, but perhaps limiting the amount of fruit you have to two per day. Also, try to avoid having more than one high glycemic fruit in a day. Watch the amount of sugar in the items that you eat as well; keep the grams lower to under 8 or 9 gr per serving. Just a few suggestions, but definitely talk to you dr. for suggestions as well.
  • Colleen_OBrien
    Colleen_OBrien Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS going over mine too! Fruit does have a lot of sugar in it... don't worry about it :)
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    Here is a website with the different amounts of sugar in fruit if you are interested

http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, i'm usually fine with my carbs (carbs aren't good for me!) it's just the sugar, I shall try to ignore MPF with that but it would be nice not to see any red minus figures when I finish my diary for the day!!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Here is a website with the different amounts of sugar in fruit if you are interested

http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml

This is REALLY helpful! thank you so much x
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am sure that is frustrating! It looks like it's your fruit intake; maybe reduce how much fruit your eating a day and add a different snack...
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Your health insurance will probably pay if your physician refers you to a nutritionist. That's probably your best bet since you have a medical condition.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ooo, I just found a great article on this topic from "Dr. Sugar", haha. Not sure who he is, but this is pretty much what I suspected.

http://www.fitsugar.com/OK-Eat-Plenty-Fruit-Worry-About-Fructose-2874911

The problem with this article is, it isn't actually true.

While fructose got it's name and is known as "fruit sugar," all fruits have a combination of glucose, fructose, and sucrose in them. Always limit fruits. Yes, they are healthy, yes they have vitamins, yes they have fiber, but yes, they have a LOT of sugar. Not to mention, everybody makes a big deal about high fructose corn syrup because it's high in fructose, so why would that be bad, if fructose in fruit is good? And before people go the fiber route, eat your jam sweetened with HFCS on a piece of high fiber, whole grain bread. Now you have a similar sugar, vitamin, and fiber profile. If people tell you to cut back on the bread and jam, but not the fruit, it's a nonsensical, hypocritical argument. The body metabolizes fructose, glucose, and sucrose in the exact same way, whether it's from an apple, a banana, sugary cereal, or a spoonful of table sugar.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    MFP guidelines are LOW. I got over every day and still have lost almost 30 lbs since the beginning of August. I wouldn't stress about it if you're going over with fruit.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Ooo, I just found a great article on this topic from "Dr. Sugar", haha. Not sure who he is, but this is pretty much what I suspected.

While fructose got it's name and is known as "fruit sugar," all fruits have a combination of glucose, fructose, and sucrose in them. Always limit fruits. Yes, they are healthy, yes they have vitamins, yes they have fiber, but yes, they have a LOT of sugar. Not to mention, everybody makes a big deal about high fructose corn syrup because it's high in fructose, so why would that be bad, if fructose in fruit is good? And before people go the fiber route, eat your jam sweetened with HFCS on a piece of high fiber, whole grain bread. Now you have a similar sugar, vitamin, and fiber profile. If people tell you to cut back on the bread and jam, but not the fruit, it's a nonsensical, hypocritical argument. The body metabolizes fructose, glucose, and sucrose in the exact same way, whether it's from an apple, a banana, sugary cereal, or a spoonful of table sugar.

^^^
    THIS!

And if it's just about "red numbers"...then change the goal or stop tracking sugar in your diary!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Fruit is nature's candy! Under limits, fruits can contribute very positively to excellent health. However, like many other readers have mentioned, the high GI of many fruits is the real deal killer. Why don't you try eating "fruits" like tomatoes, zucchini etc? Also, you could substitute nuts for some of your fruit snacks - yes, nuts are fatty but they have sufficient nutritional value to justify the fat. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so sometimes I stir fry a boiled egg in spices and make it a snack! Baby carrots with hummus?

I know that my answer might not be exactly what you are looking for, but from personal experience, this is the stuff I eat and I never go over my sugar/carb/fat limits. Hope that was useful!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and I don't "track" my sugar. The carbs are what are truly bad for diabetics and if you think about it, sugar is just contributing empty carbs to your diet. Just track carbs and don't worry so much about the sugar.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

this ^. The bottom line is that anything that is in excess of what your body needs will be converted to fat. The diff. and benefit between "table and sugar" and fructose is the fiber and the phytonutrients. :)