Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do so many women over 40 struggle with stress?

Options
ddsb1111
ddsb1111 Posts: 739 Member
edited November 2023 in Debate Club
This seemed like the right place to put this. Not because I want to argue or debate necessarily, I just want to hear what you’ve experienced with yourself and in others. I turned 42 recently, fairly young in terms of this referenced article, but that’s not the point. The article is a highlighter on an issue I’ve personally noticed and would love to know all the who, what, where, when, why, and how’s of it…. If it’s even possible.

What I’m NOT looking for is an excuse to have Karen like behavior, like I “deserve” to act in a certain way. And, if it’s hormones, I want to change that. Is there anything that can be done? Why am I so stressed over even the sound of a commercial or my husband driving? Where did my version of “care-free” go?

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/jun/11/i-started-to-unravel-why-do-so-many-women-over-40-struggle-with-stress

Replies

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    This seemed like the right place to put this. Not because I want to argue or debate necessarily, I just want to hear what you’ve experienced with yourself and in others. I turned 42 recently, fairly young in terms of this referenced article, but that’s not the point. The article is a highlighter on an issue I’ve personally noticed and would love to know all the who, what, where, when, why, and how’s of it…. If it’s even possible.

What I’m NOT looking for is an excuse to have Karen like behavior, like I “deserve” to act in a certain way. And, if it’s hormones, I want to change that. Is there anything that can be done? Why am I so stressed over even the sound of a commercial or my husband driving? Where did my version of “care-free” go?

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/jun/11/i-started-to-unravel-why-do-so-many-women-over-40-struggle-with-stress

PERI-MENOPAUSE OR ANXIETY
    • It really depends. For some women, it's peri-menopause upping the stress. You may talk to your doctor and see what may work. You might see if your doctor can recommend some options. Soy, hormone therapy, and mood elevators---may help. You might try exercise--because it sometimes helps with the underlying anxiety. See if it is peri-menopause. They can do blood work. If not, it may be just anxiety. Exercise and meds can help manage it non-medically. Peri-menopause can run 10+years. People don't realize that it can screw with you for years. For some, it is mild. For others, it sets your pants on fire. But it is fixable. Sometimes, you can manage it with exercise, meditation, and rest. For others, a low dose of medication can help--what kind--you have to ask your doctor. Things have really changed. Estrogen supplements or a mild anxiety med may help. But talk to your doctor.

OTHER ISSUES
    • Do you have other issues such as ADHD? These types of issues have a tendency to get worse in your 40's. Non-medicated ADHD can sometimes be manageable without meds, but unmedicated ADHD can really ramp up in your 40's. All those years of masking can lead to high levels of anxiety/stress/depression.
    • Thyroid? If you have developed thyroid issues, it can cause dry skin, anxiety, hair loss or growth.
    • Vitamin Deficiencies---If you are low on Magnesium, D3, B6, Zinc, Omega3s--it will also ramp up your anxiety.
    • Poor sleep--Your sleep can not be restful sometimes in your 40's. It'll ramp up your anxiety.
    • GAD, BURNOUT-- Mild generalized anxiety or life/work burnout often gets worse in your 40s or 50s. Hormones fluctuate and can cause mild conditions to flare unpredictably.

I would start with bloodwork. Find out if you are in peri-menopause. Also run a thyroid and vitamin panel. If it is any of these things, meds can help.

Good luck.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My take (I'm 68 and still have hot flashes after 10 years of menopause) is that anxiety goes up and that causes many problems. That's why I will feel stressed, snappy, overworked (I'm a housewife and you can NEVER retire), achey, you name it.......

I'm dealing with it as best I can. I do some sort of exercise everyday. I do some yoga, but started Tai Chi in the park early mornings with a group of Chinese and Italians, and that has been very calming and relaxing. Doing the sequences under the palm trees next to Roman ruins at dawn with all the different birds flying and chirping is rather a type of meditation. It has helped tremendously.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Well, this is interesting. I am 49 and can say, without hesitation, that my 40s have been the best, most relaxing decade of my life. Maybe it's just that my 20s and 30s were so completely exhausting that everything that's hit in the last 9 years has been a breeze by comparison. <shrug>
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I’ve had stress since 20… do I have more to look forward to? Lol
  • pollygler
    pollygler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’ve had stress since 20… do I have more to look forward to? Lol

i do agree with you 100%
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Nah, not for me. I'm totally chill. Maybe at times a bit too much.
  • NotGvnUp_EJ
    NotGvnUp_EJ Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I feel sometimes it goes deeper than it seems. As women I think, after 40,for many, something significant, in a good way is happening to us and it is on a deeper level and for some (unseen) reason(s)there are forces that wish to suppress how special we truly are.

Hope things improve for you and that you're able to overcome/resolve/find a solution.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I went from coping with a high-flying job editing ELLE magazine, travelling the world and writing a book, then launching a podcast and co-parenting four children to having panic attacks about the journey to work. I was getting up at 5am to tackle a to-do list I could no longer cope with. This new “incompetence”, as I saw it, was a surprise. It shook my sense of identity.

I really relate to this.

Because I had huge uterine fibroids and was trying to get to menopause without a hysterectomy, I did get FSH hormone testing multiple times. Probably at least 5 times. (It's best to do it at the same point of your cycle each month. I always did it on day 1 or 2. My doctor would put the order in, and I'd get it done the day after I started spotting. )

I was never hormonally in perimenopause. I finally had the hysterectomy last year, kept my ovaries, had hormone testing a month later, and still had the hormone "levels of a young woman." I've never had a hot flash.

I've been working on my sleep hygiene for decades and am sleeping great these days. I take Buspirone and melatonin. Melatonin alone was enough a decade ago.

I don't have children and my mother does not want to be taken care of.

In "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" and the "Wisdom of Menopause" Dr. Christiane Northrup talks about peri and menopause from both a conventional medicine/hormonal perspective and an energetic/psychological/spiritual perspective. As I don't relate to anything in the former category, I suspect my new “incompetence” is driven by something in the latter category. I'll have to revisit these books now that my focus is no longer my uterus.

I'm a veteran and getting a lot of support from the VA. Any fellow female veterans want to talk about veteran-specific resources, send me a friend request.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    ...TL;DR: peri menopause is more than weird periods and it starts earlier than a lot of people expect. Check hormones for sure, but life also just piles up until little things become big things and you get asked to leave PetSmart…

hud1c2mfewyy.png

keoqbadt5g21.png
  • ddsb1111
    edited December 2023
    Options
    So many good recommendations and points. It sounds like I’m not alone, and I’m both relieved and sorry that’s the case. I was diagnosed as high functioning Autistic about 4 years ago, that’s something I’m still wrapping my head around, and now there’s this. But, I’m hopeful it can be managed. I just need to quit pretending it’s going to fix itself. Pet Smart doesn’t deserve all my shenanigans.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Lol at, "Pet Smart doesn't deserve all my shenanigans."

I'll just say, sometimes they absolutely do!

Well, maybe not Pet Smart the company, but sometimes there are issues and or poor customer service. The trick is knowing if it's them or if it's me. Sometimes a little Karen is called-for! I've never regretted the times I've stood up for myself with a Customer Service rep who is rude or not willing to do their actual job.

I have to say, it's never happened at Pet Smart, though. Pet Smart is a little slice of Heaven.

• ddsb1111
    edited January 16
    Options
    Okay, so update 2 months later. The stress or mood swings, I’m now calling perimenopausal rage. This is the worst feeling. One moment I feel fine. Then, the smallest thing can be said, a completely innocent remark, will feel like an assault and I’ll be furious. Obviously, I can’t show how I feel and don’t. But I’ll have to end the conversation, leave, and spend the next 24-48 hours talking myself through it. I KNOW this isn’t normal for me, or just ordinary stress. This feels completely hormonal. Outside of the mood swings, I have thinning hair, insomnia, skin changes, all the other telltale signs apart from hot flashes.

That being said, I’ve decided to pursue treatment with HRT, progesterone, and DHEA and have an appointment with a doctor who specializes in this. Does anyone have personal experience with these treatments, good or bad?

And since this is a weight-loss website, I should add that despite the bazaar hormones and stress I’m not allowing this to derail my regular diet. That would just add to my anger and frustration… not gonna do it.

For reference, I’m already on Bupropion (Wellbutrin) and that has been a fine treatment for me up up until now. But dang, even I don’t want to hang out with me now 😂.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Okay, so update 2 months later. The stress or mood swings I’m now calling perimenopausal rage. This is the worst feeling. One moment I feel fine. Then, the smallest thing can be said, a completely innocent remark, will feel like an assault and I’ll be furious. Obviously, I can’t show how I feel and don’t. But I’ll have to end the conversation, leave, and spend the next 24-48 hours talking myself through it. I KNOW this isn’t normal for me, or just ordinary stress. This feels completely hormonal. Outside of the mood swings, I have thinning hair, insomnia, skin changes, all the other telltale signs apart from hot flashes.

That being said, I’ve decided to pursue treatment with HRT, progesterone, and DHEA and have an appointment with a doctor who specializes in this. Does anyone have personal experience with these treatments, good or bad?

For reference, I’m already on Bupropion and that has been a fine treatment for me up up until now. Even I don’t want to hang out with me 😂.

Ahhh the rage....I exploded at a Petsmart and was asked to leave. Luckily, I made my apologies and my dog still gets to go to day camp!

HRT is amazing. So amazing. It's like the lights came on. I'm sleeping, I'm calm, I'm not so sore and achy all the time, and it all happened in maybe a week once I started hormones. I'm on the estrogen patch and oral progesterone. We've had to fiddle with the progesterone amount, but that's apparently not awfully unusual. I never intended to white knuckle my way through peri with no meds, but I honestly didn't know what a difference they'd make once I started!
  • ddsb1111
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Okay, so update 2 months later. The stress or mood swings I’m now calling perimenopausal rage. This is the worst feeling. One moment I feel fine. Then, the smallest thing can be said, a completely innocent remark, will feel like an assault and I’ll be furious. Obviously, I can’t show how I feel and don’t. But I’ll have to end the conversation, leave, and spend the next 24-48 hours talking myself through it. I KNOW this isn’t normal for me, or just ordinary stress. This feels completely hormonal. Outside of the mood swings, I have thinning hair, insomnia, skin changes, all the other telltale signs apart from hot flashes.

For reference, I’m already on Bupropion and that has been a fine treatment for me up up until now. Even I don’t want to hang out with me 😂.

Ahhh the rage....I exploded at a Petsmart and was asked to leave. Luckily, I made my apologies and my dog still gets to go to day camp!

HRT is amazing. So amazing. It's like the lights came on. I'm sleeping, I'm calm, I'm not so sore and achy all the time, and it all happened in maybe a week once I started hormones. I'm on the estrogen patch and oral progesterone. We've had to fiddle with the progesterone amount, but that's apparently not awfully unusual. I never intended to white knuckle my way through peri with no meds, but I honestly didn't know what a difference they'd make once I started!

I took a HUGE sigh of relief reading this. I’m hoping for the same response to HRT. Just the insanity of it all isn’t worth it. Fortunately an apology can go a long way, but there’s a line when enough is enough or you’re out of places to get your nails done or dog groomed. I’m 42 and it’s odd how little we know or hear about these things.