Protein Queen

Options
I've been diligently recording all of my food day to day but pretty consistently, I'm over on protein (still under on carbs and everything else). Is this bad?

Replies

• mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    No. I'm over every day, usually by a 100g or more
  • flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i dont know but i am in the same boat as you it would be good to know
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that being too bad - depends on how high your protein is day by day. For the average female, .8 - 1.2 grams per lbs is pretty standard depending on your goals. Any excess protein will be stored as fat though over time.

How much do you weigh and what is your average?

Remember, meeting your other macros is pretty important too. For weight loss, meeting a sufficient amount of healthy fat is necessary, and having sufficient carbs is healthy for your body to be functional.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are getting water and fiber :-)
  • luvlite2
    Options
    I concur...I'm always over on my protien...it's not bad at all.
  • Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    if you are excersizing then no...if not the protein is less likely to be burned
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Its been the same for me....I am new to this but I have lost 4 pounds in two weeks so I guess its working.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Might want to pick a better title in the future. I'm LMFAO!
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Protein is not a terrible thing to be over. In fact, I manually set my protein limit higher than what MFP set it as, because I feel like I need more than what they suggested. :)
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Would love to get them all right!! will we ever???? xxxx
  • moebruin
    Options
    No in fact I find I am less hungry and do better on my weight loss when I go high on protein and lower on carbs. I have personally stalled a bit lately and am trying to get back to a higher protein diet to get the weight loss going again.
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you are hoping to retain the muscle that you currently have, you should actually be eating 1gram of protein for how ever many pounds you want to be....I.E if you want to be lets say 125lbs, you should eat 125grams of protein a day.

I want to be 190(197 atm) so I try to eat 190g a day.
    so no, going over the mfp amount isn't a bad thing.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Same boat - but mainly because I added weight training. I just keep water around 150 oz per day and double the fibrous veggies.

HTH
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    Over-consumption of protein can often lead to obesity-- so it definitely can be bad. Also, too much protein can also put too much strain on the kidneys, causing you to become dehydrated.

It depends on what exactly your work out routine is, though. The average person should stay within the normal requirements, which is about 17-21% of your daily calories coming from protein. If you consider yourself an athlete or are doing heavy weight training, it is suggested that you can consume about 1 g of protein for every lb of body fat. That being said, I think it's best to find a happy medium, and to find balance with your carbohydrate intake. If you find that you are consistently going over on protein and are not reaching your weight goals, it may be time to reevaluate your diet.

How much are you going over?
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I'm over every day too. I'm losing and building muscle, so I think it's ok.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hey you Protien Queens and Kings...help me out. What do you guys eat/snack on to get over in your protien?

I need more of it but its hard for me to do. I always feel better when I eat more protien and it always satisfies me unlike other nutrients..I'm always hungry if I just eat fiber and carbs. My veggie-inclined roomate is making getting the extra protien harder for me, as we share meals. any ideas?
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    I'm over between 6 and 20 grams of protein a day. I weigh 229 pounds but I do not work out every day...more like every other day.
  • msmellebelle
    Options
    I tend to eat yogurt with breakfast and a sandwich with lunch....My meals are super structured because I set them up the day before but it seems like everything I like has protein...haha.
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    Hey you Protien Queens and Kings...help me out. What do you guys eat/snack on to get over in your protien?

I need more of it but its hard for me to do. I always feel better when I eat more protien and it always satisfies me unlike other nutrients..I'm always hungry if I just eat fiber and carbs. My veggie-inclined roomate is making getting the extra protien harder for me, as we share meals. any ideas?

Chicken breast, peanut butter, almonds, turkey breast, eggs.
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have been over protein and fiber often in the two weeks I have been here. First week I lost 10 lbs. Unfortunately this way in was also start of TOM and I have yet to figure out how to work around that issue yet so gained 1 lb.