Food Restrictions

Options
I am relatively new to nutrition although I have been eating relatively the same way for 4 decades. After doing a food allergy test, that my naturopathic doctor recommended. Sadly there are 31 foods including (Gluten, grains, all dairy, eggs, nuts, rice amount others) that are elevated and another 6 that are borderline. I find myself struggling and overwhelmed with finding alternative ingredients to some of my favourite dishes. I would appreciate any relatively easy tips to navigating recipes. Thank you in advance

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,397 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you eat dairy, eggs, nuts, rice? Naturopathic doctors are not really doctors and, depending on the country you're in mostly whoo. Thus if you feel there's food you might have problems with then you need to do a proper elimination diet and not get an ig blood test, breath test or skin heat test or whatever was used. Because none of that works, apart from certain breath tests for lactose and poorly absorbably sugar intolerances.
  • yirara
    Options
    Look, I know you want answers. We all have our things we want answers for. But I can assure you that you don't have all of these food allergies. The only way to be sure what kind of food you can't eat is to do an elimination diet. It's difficult, it takes a lot of time and food will be boring. But I'd prefer that over not being allowed to eat anything.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    For eggs in cooking, try flax eggs. For rice, try quinoa. For the crunchy of nuts, some seeds may work. I use almond milk, but of course, that's a nut. In many recipes, water will work. For bread,etc. maybe chickpea flour? Cornmeal for fried cornbread or corn tortillas? I'm sure your naturopath will help.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options
    It's a popular list and generally fall first within the hundreds of food items that can effect people. Which ones of the 31 do you actually have a problem with, which generally are digestive issues? start there.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to nutrition although I have been eating relatively the same way for 4 decades. After doing a food allergy test, that my naturopathic doctor recommended. Sadly there are 31 foods including (Gluten, grains, all dairy, eggs, nuts, rice amount others) that are elevated and another 6 that are borderline. I find myself struggling and overwhelmed with finding alternative ingredients to some of my favourite dishes. I would appreciate any relatively easy tips to navigating recipes. Thank you in advance

I would start with one allergen at a time. Once that becomes natural and you’re used to “replacing” it then remove another allergen. Unless life threatening of course.. sometimes when your sensitive to a food like eggs or gluten it can cause an inflammatory reaction that shows sensitivity to other things as well, but that could just be your body in a over stimulated immune response. An elimination diet is the way to go but I prefer to do it backwards. Instead of removing everything for an extended period of time and then reintroducing one at a time I prefer to remove one at a time and see how I feel along the way and see what symptoms subside and take notes. Its less jarring in my opinion, but then again it took me 2 years to become strict gluten free and I still run into it now and then thru cross contamination so its a journey, I have the rest of my life to learn how to feed myself properly. To live a less symptomatic life and find balance with what I enjoy to eat.. just take it one day at a time.. hugs 🤗
    I was recommended first from my endocrinologist to go gluten free dairy free for my autoimmune disease and the symptoms I was experiencing, after switching care to a naturopathic doctor, who is most definitely a REAL medical doctor with additional training in naturopathic health, also recommended I continue a gluten free lifestyle and at least switch to goat dairy if I was unable to abstain all together. Nowadays gluten free options and vegan options are available most places, they are more processed and may not be healthier but they can be found. There’s some yummy gluten free flour blends that work great for baking your own goodies. I was eventually able to find “alternative” products I enjoy that take the place of what I used to eat but it took time and money trying different products and different recipes. Now I have a good rotation of regular recipes we eat and shopping is easier, with practice makes progress 👍
    Just take it one day at a time.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    @yirara

"Naturopathic doctors are not really doctors and, depending on the country you're in mostly whoo. "
    What....?

In order to become a licensed naturopathic doctor, one must first graduate from a four-year, professional-level program at a federally accredited naturopathic medical school. Upon graduation, you must take and pass the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Exam (NPLEX).
    Licensed naturopathic doctors attend a four-year, graduate-level naturopathic medical school and are educated in all of the same basic sciences as an MD, but also study holistic and nontoxic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimizing wellness. In addition to a standard medical curriculum, naturopathic medical schools teach clinical nutrition, acupuncture, homeopathic medicine, botanical medicine, psychology, and counseling. In order to become a naturopathic doctor, you must take professional board exams to be
    licensed by a state or jurisdiction as a primary care general practice physician.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @yirara

"Naturopathic doctors are not really doctors and, depending on the country you're in mostly whoo. "
    What....?

In order to become a licensed naturopathic doctor, one must first graduate from a four-year, professional-level program at a federally accredited naturopathic medical school. Upon graduation, you must take and pass the Naturopathic Physicians Licensing Exam (NPLEX).
    Licensed naturopathic doctors attend a four-year, graduate-level naturopathic medical school and are educated in all of the same basic sciences as an MD, but also study holistic and nontoxic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimizing wellness. In addition to a standard medical curriculum, naturopathic medical schools teach clinical nutrition, acupuncture, homeopathic medicine, botanical medicine, psychology, and counseling. In order to become a naturopathic doctor, you must take professional board exams to be
    licensed by a state or jurisdiction as a primary care general practice physician.

yirara is not in the US, and did mention that it varies by country.

I think this is also from the same page you quoted:

https://aanmc.org/naturopathic-news/become-licensed-naturopathic-doctor/

...Naturopathic medical education varies worldwide and may or may not qualify for advanced standing for North American educational standards. You are encouraged to provide your transcripts (with a WES or equivalent translation service) and apply for advanced standing. Courses will be evaluated by each individual school – as transfer credit is granted on a case-by-case basis.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

I agree with the recommendation to do the elimination test. No point excluding all 31 if you don't have to.

When I was first diagnosed with chemical sensitivities, I also had food allergy testing, and many foods I commonly ate came up. I needed to concentrate on chemicals and mold, so ignored the food temporarily...and then permanently, because none of those foods were actually a problem for me.

Don't go by my anecdote though - do an elimination test.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    I live in Oklahoma where naturopathic doctors aren't recognized.
    We do have something close. He was a doctor in China where he and his wife were allowed to have only one child. They had a beautiful, smart little girl who wanted to be a doctor. Not gonna happen in China at that time. Girls were not encouraged. So they moved to America where she could become a doctor. (She eventually did). He advertised his services as an acupuncturist. He is not allowed to call himself a doctor in the USA, but his patients call him Doctor as a matter of respect. I've known a few people who have gone to him, and from what I can see, he is a Godsend to them. He helps people who are miserable but arent effectively treated by American doctors. They are often dismissed with a pat on the back and a recommendation of over the counter pain relievers, allergy medications, rest, etc. He treats them with vitamins, herbs, acupuncture, and food recommendations. He determines what foods, plants, and other things that they are allergic to and SENSITIVE to in order to help them. I have the utmost respect for him, whether a Chinese doctor is a real doctor or not.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I would try removing 1 at a time. It is much easier to absorb smaller changes. Some food sensitivities are more problematic than others. You could try removing either gluten or dairy to begin with. After six-weeks, assess your health progress. Is your overall health improving? If yes, after six weeks, try removing one more item.

You may find that some of these foods groups have more impact than others. You may be able to just remove one or two of the groups--if you are lucky.

Dairy alternatives: coconut milk, soy milk

Rice alternatives: riced cauliflower, Shirataki rice (not actually rice), Quinoa

Egg alternatives: For baking? Use Vegan Egg Powder, Applesauce, Aquafaba, Soy protein powder and water, carbonated water, Mashed Avocado (1/4 avocado is 1 egg) , flaxseed w/water, banana puree.

Gluten-- Eat INSTEAD: Eat meat, veggies, and fruits. There are a lot of gluten-free items but most of them are not good. Google taste tests. REPLACEMENTS for Baking: Corn Flour/Starch. Corn flour (or starch as they say in the US), Maize Flour. Polenta. Potato Flour, Buckwheat Flour, Oats, Tapioca Flour, coconut flour, Xanthan Gum

• yirara
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I think a proper elimination diet would be quicker and provide more answer. Like eliminate everything from this list. Then reintroduce one item back (or maybe several) and observe what happens. If all is fine, add something else. If bad, leave out and reintruduce something else, etc.

Leaving out one specific food would not answer the question whether it's problematic or not if there are others that are problematic.