Does eating a ton of fat but eating less than goal matter?

Options
let’s say I eat a ton of fat every day, but still eat less than my desired calorie goal. Does this matter? Do you gain a ton of weight due to this?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no, fat doesn't make you fat, eating too much of everything does. :)
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,089 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Generally speaking, Calories affect weight. Macros affect general health and happiness.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    That is basically what I do eating a keto diet every day. High fat, extremely low carb, and moderate protein. I lose just fine because my calories are below what I would need to maintain my weight.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    A ton of fat is basically a KETO diet. As long as your overall weekly calories afford a calorie deficit you’ll lose. Is that the best approach? Probably not…
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    For weight loss? No.

If you eat so much fat that you get inadequate protein in order to stay within your calorie goal, that risks unnecessarily much lean tissue (muscle) loss as you lose body weight. That wouldn't be good. Health-wise, it might be good to fit in some veggies and fruits, too, for micronutrients and fiber.

Fat does require fewer calories to digest/metabolize than protein or carbs, but the effect is so small in the big picture that that's unlikely to noticeably affect weight loss rate.
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2023
    Options
    That is basically what I do eating a keto diet every day. High fat, extremely low carb, and moderate protein. I lose just fine because my calories are below what I would need to maintain my weight.

It's hard to say if the OP is on a keto diet or not and doesn't know much about the diet. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. It could be they're on a high carb low fat diet and just ate over their designated allotment and are worried they'll gain weight. Maybe they'll enlighten us.
  • VeebsKale
    VeebsKale Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Calculate how much protein you need to reach your ideal body weight. My goal weight is 150 lbs, so I strive for 150 g protein per day. I keep carbs low because I follow a keto/carnivore diet, so my fat goals sit at 144 g and my carbs at not more than 25 g. If I consistently eat more than 2200 calories per day I stop losing weight/fat. You just need to figure out what works best for you. :)
  • jerier
    jerier Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    As mentioned earlier, what type of eating plan are you following?
    It also depends upon how your body processes macros. Post menopause I had to change my diet from higher carb, moderate protein, and lower fat because I was packing on pounds. I was Always Hungry/never satisfied which was very frustrating.
    The most satisfying and effective plan for me now is clean keto.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    So your not a large carnivorous animal from the Mesozoic? :#