130 lbs.... unrealistic???

Options

Replies

• GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    How does it matter whether you are 130 or 140 or whatever. The weight at which you feel and look the way you want to is your ideal weight. My goal weight is more of a range.
  • klwxx
    klwxx Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and have been 120lbs. My healthiest weight was probably 126lbs though, that's when I felt fittest and strongest. It probably depends a lot on your body type how good you'd look at any weight, but you certainly would not be "too skinny".
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft7 and 132 at the moment.... I do not look sickly or underweight.... I am upping my calories and putting lean muscle
    on to try to look better... You do what makes you happy... You will know where your body feels the best. :-)
  • maskedbelleza
    maskedbelleza Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Really, it depends on what your BF% is at 130. When I was at 130-135 (I'm 5'7") I looked fine. Nobody would call me fat or thin. Just average. I did, however, have a stomach pooch, muffin top, really flabby upper arms/thighs, and literally ZERO strength. My BF% was probably really high, making 130 lbs look like they were more than they actually were. It's all about your BF%, really. There's a huge difference between weighing 130 lbs with 16% BF and 40% BF. Listen to your doctor, not your friends.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure for you - as everyone is a little different. But 2 people can be the same exact height & weight and have very different fitness levels. Set your goals, and know you can readjust if needed. Personally, until recently I didn't feel comfortable enough setting 130-135 as a final goal (and I'm about 1.5" shorter) but that was because it didn't seem like I could get there. In the past I've always set 150 for a goal then said 'I'd reevaluate later'. But never stayed consistent enough to reach 150! Now I'm just below 150, know I have more fat to lose. I can realistically see myself losing another 10-15 but also perhaps gaining a few back as I build muscle.

Take the advice of friends & families loosely. They probably mean well. Ultimately its you (with the help of your doctor) who must determine what is right for yourself..
    I was told today by my best friend that because of my size I will NEVER be 130 and look healthy. I'm 5'7", and was told by my doctor that 130-135 is the best goal I could go for. Are there any ladies here that are 5'7" and are 130-135 lbs?? I hope my friend isn't just saying that cause she doesn't want me skinnier than her. I would hate for her to think that way, especially when her and I are suppose to be friends.....
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If it's within a healthy range for you (which I trust it is since your doctor suggested it), shoot for it and decide how you look and feel when you get close. Once you're within your healthy range, it's a question of aesthetics and personal preference, so don't get too hung up on a magic number. (Says the woman who's going crazy because those last three pounds seem to be taking as long as the previous twenty, so do what I say, not what I do!)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and currently around 170 pounds. My doc said she's very happy with where I'm at, mostly because I was obese for so long and she's just thrilled that I've lost most of the extra weight, kept it off for a few years so far, and am much healthier. She also fully supports me losing another 20 pounds. Could I lose more than that? Maybe, but with a medium to large athletic build, it probably wouldn't look good and with the way I like to eat, it wouldn't be realistic long term.

Do what works for you. When you get close to goal, you can decide whether your goal weight is reasonable or not. Please remember that the scale weight isn't the be-all-end-all. Check out this link:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's very doable!
    I myself am 5'7, 144 lbs, and a size 4. I am an athlete so I have quite a bit of muscle, but at 138-140 I am a size 2. I personally do not want to be much smaller than a 2-4, but its all personal preference. Get to a size that makes you happy and healthy, if that's 130 lbs then do it. :) Best of luck.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your bone structure. Some people were built with smaller shoulders, ribcages & hips than other girls who are 5'7".

I'm 5'7" and I looked fine at 130lbs. I prefer to hang around 128-140lbs.

120lbs was too skinny for me though, I looked scrawny & boney.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Height 5' 7"

Normal 121 to 153 lbs

Overweight 159 to 185 lbs.

Obese 191 to 249 lbs.

http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html

<----191 lbs, 5'7" While I can stand to lose some, I'm not obese :laugh: :noway:

There may be a better source for this information, I just did a quick google search to find this and I use it only as a guide for myself. As a man for my height I doubt I'll ever be in the "normal" zone myself but that's ok if I'm building muscle and reducing fat.

You look pretty healthy these numbers are to be taken lightly, ultimately a Dr. or a certified nutritionist is the best person to consult to determine what is healthy for you. Arnold Schwarzenegger is considered "over weight" by this scale and he was pretty in shape and healthy as far as I can tell. Good luck on your weight loss journey and keep hitting the weights!!!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and small boned according to the wrist measurement test ( I personally think I'm more of a medium build) and my perfect weight was 138-140. I've got small breasts and no *kitten* so any less than that and I find I look too thin. I think it really depends on your proportions and whether or not YOU feel good at that weight.
  • sherrie367
    sherrie367 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    UsernameMAMA, I would not worry about what your friend thinks. It what makes you feel good. If your doctor says that is the ideal weight for you then it must be ok. When I was in high school I weighed 125lbs at the most and I am 5'5 1/2" tall. Then I had my oldest daughter and the day I found out I was pregnant I weight 145lbs and got all the way up to 197lbs had her and then got pregnant my youngest and I was down to 150lbs and went back up to 222lbs. I had a hard time losing it. But now I am losing weight and feeling great about myself again. My doctor wants to be at 150-160 or less. But with the app it will help so if you like please add me as a friend we can help each other. Like I said before don't worry about what your friends and family think of your weight it is between you and your doctor. To your question 130lbs is not unrealistic. UsernameMama I will send a message to you and tell you a little about myself you and will understand a little more why I am telling you this. Good luck with your weight loss if you need a friend to guide you feel free to add me.
  • lisalove7869
    lisalove7869 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your Doctor they know what is best for you. By the way if you want to add me as a friend feel free to do that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Friends who are overweight are likely some of the worse people to listen to on advice about weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • giadimedici
    giadimedici Posts: 68 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    i'm also 5'7". i fluctuate between 131 and 133. i prefer 130. i'm 62. my former overweight best friend said that i'd lost too much weight. i didn't care - i did it for me. i started off at 150. yeah i lost weight in my face, but everyone does as they get older. i'd rather look good in my clothes lol ;) do what's best for you and forget what your friend says. your body - your life, honey! also - my oncologist thinks i'm thin. i don't care what he says either. i'm still alive and that's what counts
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone else define you! This includes the top advice givers; best friend, mother, sisters. They are the worst! Lose weight and stop when you love how you look and feel. Many people "close" to you will want to keep you more how they are used to seeing you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just listen to your Doctor they know what is best for you. By the way if you want to add me as a friend feel free to do that.

You realize this thread was last updated in 2014 before your comment? zombie thread
  • lansingamy51
    lansingamy51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, go with how you feel! I'm 5'8 and lost a lot of weight when I went through a divorce. Ugh! I dropped below 140 and didn't look healthy or feel good! 150 is great for me! :)
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Old post but still relevant... :)

I am also 5"7" male and my ideal weight for me is between 145 and 150lbs. Going to cut again for the next 3 weeks to get back down to 145lbs and try to hold there...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!