Healthy Crock Pot

Options
raisingbabyk
raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
Looking for some healthy crock pot recipes. Every recipe i find seems to be really high calorie, fat, and sodium!

Replies

• jgbigman
    jgbigman Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had a great friend tell me about skinnytaste.com, they are supposed to have several great low calorie, low fat crock pot recipes on there..

Hope this has helped!!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    You can go to http://recipes.rodale.com and do an advanced search for things that are lower in sodium by choosing the dietary needs for high blood pressure and the cooking style as slow cooker and see what comes up. There might not be many, but there are some.

There is another site, www.SkinnyCrockPot.com, that is based on healthy Crock Pot recipes. The even have specific recipes that are low sodium.

There aren't a lot of them around. I personally will modify recipes for my Crock Pot the best I can to try to get the sodium lower. If they call for canned soups, I make my own without the sodium in it for example. If it is a matter of adding salt, I cut it back.

Looking forward to some of the recipes that are shared in this thread! I have a couple of long days when my Crock Pot comes in VERY handy!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    I had a great friend tell me about skinnytaste.com, they are supposed to have several great low calorie, low fat crock pot recipes on there..

Hope this has helped!!

SkinnyTaste.com is another great one. She doesn't post the sodium content in her recipes though. We have to figure that part out on our own, but she posts most of the other important items in the nutrition data.

If something calls for chicken broth, you can get it in reduced sodium to cut back a little too. Definitely make your own soups and seasonings like taco seasoning.
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is a soup I made up a while ago and it is a family favorite and what I have in crockpot today...

Ingredients
    *Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey, 16 oz
    Swanson Chicken Broth 99% Fat Free, 8 cup
    Hidden valley ranch fiesta ranch packet, 16 serving
    Water, tap, 6 cup (8 fl oz)
    Garlic powder, 1 tbsp
    *Onion powder, 1 tbsp
    Pepper, black, 2 tsp
    Mushrooms, canned, 1 cup
    water chest nuts canned, 2 serving
    1 cup of chopped celery
    1 cup brown rice (dry)

Directions
    brown ground turkey and season the way you wish...

in large crockpot add your chix broth, water, ranch packet, garlic, onion powder, pepper, canned mushrooms, celery and then one can of water chest nuts chopped...

add turkey when done cooking

in the mean time i make my rice (1 cup - which makes 2 cups) i then just let the rice sit

let your soup cook on low for at least 6 hours then add 1/2 hr before you are ready to eat!!!

Number of Servings: 6
    calories 187
    fat 2
    protien 20
  • Thirstygirl
    Options
    oooops *** meant to say add rice 1/2 hour before serving!!!
  • Dreamin_Skinny
    Options
    this sounds easy and i love that the ingredients aren't hard to find! how much is one serving?
  • Thirstygirl
    Options
    about 2 1/2 cups!!! part of the reason i love it... but the flavor is wonderful... i do add more pepper half way thru i like lots of pepper hehehe
  • orhstay87
    Options
    I got a cookbook called Fix it and Forget it Lightly. It's entirely devoted to healthy crock pot recipes and the couple that I've tried are really tasty!
  • PVMcHugh
    Options
    This was a topic a few days ago called "Skinny Crockpot". The suggestion was to checkout Facebook and Twitter for a page called Skinny Crockpot. Hope this helps.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I use skinnycrockpot almost every day, great stuff!
  • kathyhaf1
    Options
    Thanks for the Skinny Crockpot tip! It's crockpot weather again and I will be using mine more often.:smile:
  • mclukey
    Options
    I am making a crockpot lasagna tonight. I haven't made it before so fingers crossed it turns out. I got the recipe on facebook from crockpot girls. I just tweeked the recipe a bit to be more low cal/low fat.I could have made it more low in sodium by using low fat ricotta but I wanted to try it with the cottage cheese.I am trying to get 8 servings out of it. I will let everyone know how this turns out.

1 jar spagetti sauce 1lb 10oz (I'm using Ragu super chunky mushroom)
    1 16 oz. container Daisy reduced fat cottage cheese
    8 oz. of food lion oven ready lasagna noodles, broken up into pieces
    16 oz 93/7 lean ground beef

I'm gonna brown the ground beef and then throw in the crock pot with everything. I wanted to use some fat free mozzerella but couldn't find any so I'm just gonna top with some regular mozz after I get it in my bowl!

Nutrition info without mozz cheese:
    8 servings
    295 calories
    33 carbs
    7 grams fat
    562.5 sodium.
  • mclukey
    Options
    I just added about 1/2 the spaghetti sauce jar of water.
  • Oceanmama
    Oceanmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website tips! SkinnyCrockPot.com seems especially great! JUST what I needed!!!!!!!! Thanks again!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The Ww message boards have a ton of healthy crockpot recipes as well.