Has anyone tried Truvia and Stevia?

Options
I was wondering if one tasted better than another? Which one do you prefer and why?

Replies

• HungryCatapillar23
    Options
    Stevia
  • Chef_KMM
    Chef_KMM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m actually allergic to Stevia, but I have been using Monkfruit Sweetener and I can hardly tell the difference between it and sugar!
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I will try both.
  • kiteflyer105
    kiteflyer105 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I bought Stevia first. I have this with my oatmeal. I like it.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I don't like the aftertaste of Stevie, but it's personal preference. Like you say, try them both! And any others you find. One might surprise you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I hate all artificial sweeteners and stevia.

I use sugar, but try to minimize it. I don't drink soda. When I bake, I can often reduce the sugar by 1/3 - 1/2.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    They are okay. They are not quite as sweet as sugar. You will be tempted to add more.
    If you don't the artificial ones. There are a few lower calorie natural sweetners such as monk fruit syrup---plus a few others. You can google. Some are even powdered. They don't have the chemicals.

I don't mind these--although my nephew is allergic to Stevia so I rarely use that one.

If you are putting it in something like cereal or oatmeal--stir well. Sometimes they take a few seconds more to dissolve.

In baking, they aren't quite as sweet as sugar. The taste is close to sugar but not perfect.

MONK FRUIT VS STEVIA

If you try the monk fruit--try to get one where they haven't added a bunch of additives to it.

For baking, you also may try applesauce. It adds sweetness and moistness without chemicals.

OTHERS:

Honey
    Pureed fruit
    Maple syrup in small amounts.
    Coconut sugar
    Date sugar
    Monk fruit
    Allulose--I'm up in the are about this one
    Stevia
    Truvia
    Applesauce

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    To Loulee's list of options, I'd add that I've used apple juice concentrate (frozen) as a sweetener, too. It doesn't contain added sugar, but it counts as added sugar, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I haven't found an artificial or alternate sweetener that tastes right to me. Even ones my friends swear by taste off to me. I'm not a huge sweets-eater anymore, usually, anyway: I tend to go for salty/savory things more. When I want something sweetened, I use sugar, honey, maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, fruit syrup, or some other normal "added sugar" thing.

I'd observe that a good brand of blackstrap molasses has some useful micronutrient levels (potassium, iron, calcium). I like to put some in my oatmeal: I like the flavor, I like the micros, and I like my oatmeal a bit sweeter than just the berries make it. It's a win for me, worth the calories.
  • x6v9fb7pkt
    x6v9fb7pkt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is scientific research to support the benefits of eliminating all sweeteners, includng artificial and these newer options. www.nih.gov has many articles about these. The CDC does, also.