Calorie Estimate

Options
I'm not sure how many calories to log this chocolate chip banana bread for in my food diary and wondered if anyone can help! It was from a local coffee spot so no nutritional info but I have attached a picture for reference.

9eoc8b7in132.jpg

Thank you!

Answers

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Do you know how much it weighed? I'd log it as regular banana bread and then log 2 squares of chocolate. It should come pretty close.
  • no1racefan2
    no1racefan2 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I have something like this, I usually look through the entries for something with a similar name and try to pick based on my knowledge of what a slice of this might contain ingredient-wise and calorie-wise. Educated guessing basically.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    There's so much guesswork on how it was made and how much there is. I assume you've looked up the site of the coffee place to see if they have nutritional info somewhere.

Unless it's a regular food item I would just make a guess based on existing banana bread entries, use an average perhaps, which also means guessing the weight. I also wouldn't add that food to my diary if it's a one-off. Instead, I have a couple of private entries for Generic Stuff x% protein, which is 100 calories and x% from protein, which is the only macro I care about so I leave the other macros in the entry blank. e.g. if I think it's 450 calories, I add 4.5 of Stuff to the day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    100 g's of normal banana bread is in the 300-400 calorie range. it's going to be just a guess anyway and if your normal entries are better imputed and this is a rare occasion then it's going to make no difference over the course and no point stressing over it that can also contribute to a lot of bad stuff happening mentally and physically downstream.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I’d go with about 350-400. I make a regular banana bread from the Two Peas and Their Pod website, and with 8 servings in a single loaf pan, it comes out to 313 calories per serving, which is a lot more than what the site’s nutritional info says. (It’s an amazing recipe, by the way.) Their chocolate chip version is higher. Now if I make it, I have to plan ahead to give most of it away. Sigh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Looking at a picture is going to be nothing more than a guess. I'd just go with 500...it's probably somewhere in that ball park give or take 100 calories or so.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I’d go with about 350-400. I make a regular banana bread from the Two Peas and Their Pod website, and with 8 servings in a single loaf pan, it comes out to 313 calories per serving, which is a lot more than what the site’s nutritional info says. (It’s an amazing recipe, by the way.) Their chocolate chip version is higher. Now if I make it, I have to plan ahead to give most of it away. Sigh.

I love to bake, and do plan to give a lot of it away.

I've heard about chocolate chip banana bread for ages but have never had or made it. It is definitely on my list. I'll probably make muffins, though - easier for me to moderate.

Is this the recipe? https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/chocolate-chip-banana-bread/

It's now listed as 12 servings (9×5-inch loaf pan)

Calories: 295kcal, Carbohydrates: 43g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 49mg, Sodium: 169mg, Potassium: 168mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 26g, Vitamin A: 320IU, Vitamin C: 1.8mg, Calcium: 61mg, Iron: 1.4mg
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @kshama2001 Yes, that’s it - and the plain version is here: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/banana-bread/

Both are delicious. I’m a chocolate fanatic but actually slightly prefer the plain. Whatever doesn’t go to the neighbours keeps well in the fridge or freezer. I also love baking.

I guess you could eke out 12 servings in a pinch. :)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 Yes, that’s it - and the plain version is here: https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/banana-bread/

Both are delicious. I’m a chocolate fanatic but actually slightly prefer the plain. Whatever doesn’t go to the neighbours keeps well in the fridge or freezer. I also love baking.

I guess you could eke out 12 servings in a pinch. :)

I think I'm going to make it Sunday to bring to work on Monday. I'd probably prefer the plain even though I too am a chocolate fanatic, but since I'm bringing it to work will add the chocolate. (And walnuts.) I'm going to make it into muffins.

I think I'll also make chocolate brownie cookies with mint M&Ms...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,230 Member
    Options
    I would either do as suggested above or something completely different like calling it a stack of chocolate chip pancakes....

dxal2y9qr6ar.png
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    This is Starbucks (for your reference size). It is w/out chocolate chips, so It would most likely be closer to 500 calories with the addition.

Starbucks Banana Nut Bread (1 serving) contains 52g total carbs, 50g net carbs, 22g fat, 6g protein, and 420 calories.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    It’s not worth stressing over. I log it with whatever Starbucks has, because their stuff is so calorie laden, I figure it can’t be too far off.

If not them, Panera or similar.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    Hey, wait? There’s mint M&Ms now?

Hahahaha. NSV that I don’t even know that!!!!!! I used to be the M&M Queen!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hey, wait? There’s mint M&Ms now?

Hahahaha. NSV that I don’t even know that!!!!!! I used to be the M&M Queen!

Hooray for your NSV! I feel somewhat ambivalent about posting it, but here it is:

0njoacixkso2.png
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I eat out a LOT and mostly at local places. When I run into something like this, I just use a similar entry from a chain restaurant. In this case, I'd probably check for something similar from Starbucks or Panera. It's close enough and it's worked for me through weight loss and maintenance.