Good Nutrition Advice

System
System Posts: 1,917 MFP Staff
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
This discussion was created from comments split from a different discussion.

Replies

• Hi

I joined myfitness Pal to track my husbands nutrition. He sadly was diagnosed with cancer and lost a lot of weight and muscle strength. I've found the app invaluable in tracking his food and helping hit his protein and calorie targets each day. Protein is paramount for my husband as he had a lot of blood loss and his haemaglobin kept dropping, so good nutrition in the form of non processed meat has been absolutely vital for him.

Any advice or help I'd love to hear from you.
  • maniacmcgee27
    maniacmcgee27 Posts: 4 Member
    I get some of my source for protein from protein shakes. I use clean simple eats protein, the whey they use is from grass fed cows. I mix it with coconut or sometimes nut milks to get more added protein, depending on the flavor of the protein shake i add in nut butters like macadamia milk or almond milk. I also do bone broths. Hope this helps!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited November 2023
    Egg whites are also an easy tolerated protein source. Of course, one fried egg with 2 extra whites is obvious. But you can add a couple whites to things like cornbread, banana bread, French toast, etc. If he will eat it, cloud bread. I eat it covered with yogurt and fruit.
    Yogurt, cottage cheese
    Im also trying to keep sugar low, so fruit. With yogurt or in smoothies.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited November 2023
    Hi @julieatkinson_16

I add cottage cheese to everything- pancakes, smoothies, fruit. It’s not meat, but it’s high protein.

I have an electric ninja Woodfire grill. I can pop a pork loin or a bunch of chicken in that thing and have great restaurant quality smoked or grilled meats in a jiffy.

Every Sunday we grill steaks on it, and afterwards I throw something else, usually chicken breast on to cook. Chop it, and nutritious high protein wraps for the rest of the week. You can also make homemade beef jerky in it. Haven’t tried it on the grill but the jerky I made in the Foodi was best ever. I used soy sauce and pineapple juice and a little black pepper.

Peanut butter in or on pancakes is good.

Homemade labneh:cream cheese is excellent. Just throw some Greek yogurt in cheesecloth or a fine strainer and allow to drain for two or three days and you have delicious spreadable cheese left over. I then use the whey that’s strained off in biscuits or pancakes or homemade bread (in leiu of water).
  • jerier
    jerier Posts: 384 Member
    Home made chicken soup. I’ve used a whole stewing hen or bone in thighs. I prefer vegetables and no noodles. Packs a good amount of protein and calories. So does bone broth which can be enjoyed between meals.

This article has good data regarding heme and non-heme iron and how the body absorbs it.

https://hemochromatosishelp.com/heme-iron-vs-non-heme-iron/