Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories 1200

Hello,

Quick question, having reset my profile. My calorie goal has been calculated as 1200 a day. This seems to low? In my work, I am on my feet all day, walking around 9k on average and I run 5km 3 x a week. Seems to low. Keen to hear what others think?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    edited November 2023
    It’s based on what you entered. What’s your activity level and your weekly goal? For work you seem very active, and you’ve likely chosen a too agressive weightloss goal. You’re also supposed to log your exercise and eat back those calories.

Can you share your stats? Then we can help you finetune this.
  • Louisa10050
    Louisa10050 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you. Height is 5ft 1in, weight 66kg. Active. I opted to lose 1kg a week which I thought would be the most realistic?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    1kg per week is the highest weightloss goal MFP is giving anyone, and is really meant for really obese people. That you've been given 1200 calories means that your goal is unrealistic as MFP always defaults to 1200 for women as it's the lowest kind of healthy calorie amount. That means you won't lose 1kg per week but slow.

Why not play a bit with the weightloss goal settings to see what happens. I bet 0.5kg week will give you more calories. Also don't forget to eat back at least a part of your exercise if you have such an active job. You don't want to crash eating too little.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    It’s based on what you entered. What’s your activity level and your weekly goal? For work you seem very active, and you’ve likely chosen a too agressive weightloss goal. You’re also supposed to log your exercise and eat back those calories.

Can you share your stats? Then we can help you finetune this.

Hi,

I guessed on age of 35 and that you wanted to get to 125 pounds, down from 145. See the calorie deficit range below. I put you in as moderately active at work and home.

vtx1cpkdvzfx.jpg

LINK TO THE CALCULATOR
    Try this one to recheck the calorie deficit.
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    I set my calorie allowance to 1500 per day; I like having the extra calories available if I need them though I try to come in slightly lower each day. There’s no guarantee that even if you eat 1200 that you will lose a certain amount per week- it’s an estimate- sometimes you lose more, sometimes less.
    Just find a calorie allowance that is realistic for you to be consistent for a long period of time. It’s all about consistency.