I gained weight?

Options
WernerZiegler1
WernerZiegler1 Posts: 37 Member
edited December 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, even though i go to the gym do lifting do cardio and have a calorie deficit (I eat 2200 kcal) i gained weight 0,30 kg.
I was Monday 88.20 today i'm 88.50 Kg heavy

What is this??

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You should get used to weight fluctuations--they will be constant. Are you keeping a weight graph? It will zig-zag but over time you should see a downward trend. Water weight, salt, and new exercise can all change your weight, sometimes by several kilos. .3 kilos is about a pound. Nothing to freak out over. You'll need patience here.

Watch your trend for at least a month. If it isn't going downward change something up and then watch again until you find the right approach. Weight loss is much trial and error. Just never give up. Best of luck.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Are you sore? Waddling like a duck from unfamiliar new exercise?

No wonder your weight is up. That’s water weight, my friend. You’ll add a little bit each day until the soreness passes off, and then you will probably -very literally- pee it oit.

Been drinking more water in your bid to be healthy? Water has weight.

Eating new foods? Your bowels may be backed up from extra fiber or unfamiliar
    new foods.

Been in a plane? Cabin pressure can make weight bounce up a LOT. I can easily “gain” 6-8 pounds following a flight, and watch it drop off again in the days to follow. Same with a long drive involving lots of sitting. Did you go anywhere over the holidays?

Oh, holidays. Still eating leftovers? Lots of salty, seasoned dishes. Salt will make you retain water. Heck, even my favorite electrolyte drink makes me hang on to water.

Soooo many things can affect your weight.

Be prepared for variations of many many pounds, but stick to it and be patient. If you have a goal and are diligent with your weighing and logging, you’ll ultimately see results.
  • springlering62
    edited December 2023
    Options
    And PS lifting…. wonderful for your health and strength, I do that, too.

I don’t even bother counting gym calories because it’s so stop and go- rests between sets, changing plates, recording sets, etc. You don’t burn as many calories as you think lifting, so do some research and make sure you or your fitness tracker aren’t “awarding” too many calories for gym sessions.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Are you sore? Waddling like a duck from unfamiliar new exercise?

No wonder your weight is up. That’s water weight, my friend. You’ll add a little bit each day until the soreness passes off, and then you will probably -very literally- pee it oit.

Been drinking more water in your bid to be healthy? Water has weight.

Eating new foods? Your bowels may be backed up from extra fiber or unfamiliar
    new foods.

Been in a plane? Cabin pressure can make weight bounce up a LOT. I can easily “gain” 6-8 pounds following a flight, and watch it drop off again in the days to follow. Same with a long drive involving lots of sitting. Did you go anywhere over the holidays?

Oh, holidays. Still eating leftovers? Lots of salty, seasoned dishes. Salt will make you retain water. Heck, even my favorite electrolyte drink makes me hang on to water.

Soooo many things can affect your weight.

Be prepared for variations of many many pounds, but stick to it and be patient. If you have a goal and are diligent with your weighing and logging, you’ll ultimately see results.

And Werner doesn't even need to deal with the worst of it all (is there worse than plane travel?): female hormonal cycle water weight fluctuations.
  • springlering62
    Options
    @yirara i could deal with that but OMG, mean as a snake I was for a day or two. Glad those days are over!!!!
  • yirara
    Options
    @yirara i could deal with that but OMG, mean as a snake I was for a day or two. Glad those days are over!!!!

*sending hugs* I take the contraceptive with hardly any breaks, and my mood never changes (grumpily cheerful), but the waterweight when I do stop. argh!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    OP, this will be a good read (especially the article linked in the first post):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

When starting a new regimen or making a major change (eating or activity), it's a good thing to stick with it for 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycle if you have them) to figure out the actual average weekly weight effect.

When being even remotely consistent in eating/activity, changes of multiple pounds or fractions of kgs from one day to the next are almost always about water retention shifts or digestive residue on its way to the exit. Body fat changes show up in trends over several weeks. Unless there's a seriously dire health problem in the equation, muscle mass changes show up over many weeks to months or even years, and only when doing pretty hard work that aims for them.

Hang in there, stick with the healthy routine, give it 4-6 weeks (or if relevant, compare body weight at the same relative point in at least two different menstrual cycles).

Odds are good that everything will be fine, when you look at multi-week averages.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That is called normal bodyweight fluctuations. You're going to be needing to look at this as a trend over the long term, not weigh in to weigh in. This is what losing weight looks like plotted on a graph...the red line is the important one.

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature.png
  • yirara
    edited December 2023
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That is called normal bodyweight fluctuations. You're going to be needing to look at this as a trend over the long term, not weigh in to weigh in. This is what losing weight looks like plotted on a graph...the red line is the important one.

Weight-Loss-Reality-Feature.png

Werner, and on that note: weight also fluctuates like this when not losing weight. Or when trying to gain weight. It’s totally normal and a part of life. If your weight did not fluctuate your scale might need a new battery. Or you might be dead. Thus celebrate it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.

If you don't lose weight in a month, post again, with your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings